|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Helen?
(a) A woman who lives in Lucy's house.
(b) Lucy's neighbor.
(c) Lucy's cat.
(d) Lucy's helper with the gardening.
2. Where is Melanie during the hearing?
(a) Absent from it.
(b) Sitting between her parents.
(c) Sitting across the table from David.
(d) Sitting with her father.
3. What is David's response to Bev's comment that she can tell he likes animals?
(a) He says he never realized it, but he does in fact like animals.
(b) He says he eats them.
(c) He says that, in fact, he doesn't like animals.
(d) He says he can take them or leave them.
4. Where is David Lurie employed?
(a) At Cape Technical University.
(b) At the University of South Africa.
(c) At Cape Town High School.
(d) At Cape Town Community College.
5. Except for the course in Romantic poets, what is the general academic area of the courses that David teaches?
(a) World Languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one piece of advice that the Vice Rector of the university gives David?
2. What is the name of the second woman from the escort agency that David meets with?
3. On the evening of the visit of this unwelcome visitor, what possession of David's is vandalized?
4. What is the university that is near where Lucy lives?
5. After secretly observing Melanie, how does David follow up in his pursuit of Melanie?
Short Essay Questions
1. David describes Melanie as "clever enough, but unengaged." What might the attraction to such a person suggest about David?
2. When Melanie's boyfriend is in the class, the other students are even quieter than they usually are. How might one interpret this silence?
3. After David has resigned, how does Lucy treat the prospect of her father staying with her indefinitely?
4. How does Melanie's cousin Pauline treat David over the telephone when he calls for Melanie?
5. When Lucy asks why David isn't trying to justify his actions at the university, what reason does he offer?
6. What do David's literary references in Chapter 1 suggest about him?
7. While David pleads guilty, he will not say that he repents. What is his reason for refusing this request to sign a repentance?
8. What might David Lurie offer in his defense of his sexual relations with Melanie Isaacs, his student?
9. When Melanie is with David in his daughter's room, why might Melanie have such an interest in David's previous sexual conquests?
10. What is it about Soraya's character does David find appealing?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)