|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the exam, David receives a phone call. Who calls him?
(a) Melanie's boyfriend.
(b) Melanie's mother.
(c) Melanie's father.
2. What word most accurately describes Soraya's profession?
3. In what publication does an article about David appear the next day?
(a) The student newspaper.
(b) The Women Against Abuse Gazette.
(c) The local paper.
(d) The Coalition Against Discrimination flier.
4. Who is it that visits David's class several days after the vandalizing of his property?
(a) Melanie's mother.
(b) Melanie's roommate.
(c) Melanie's father.
(d) Melanie's boyfriend.
5. Approximately how old is David Lurie in Chapter 1?
(a) Late forties.
(b) Early sixties.
(c) Early forties.
(d) Early fifties.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the occasion that Melanie refuses a date with David, what excuse does she offer?
2. On the first meeting of David and Soraya, what was it that David strongly disliked?
3. Who is it that recommends that David be dismissed immediately and that he forfeit all benefits?
4. Who does David request to speak to after class?
5. On the day of the exam in David's class, what does he find in his mailbox?
Short Essay Questions
1. At David's hearing, what are the two charges to which he pleads guilty?
2. What do David's literary references in Chapter 1 suggest about him?
3. David describes Melanie as "clever enough, but unengaged." What might the attraction to such a person suggest about David?
4. In Chapter 12, why is David amazed that Bill Shaw comes to the hospital to pick him up after his burns are treated?
5. When Lucy asks why David isn't trying to justify his actions at the university, what reason does he offer?
6. After class, David comments that if he were alone with Melanie, he would call her "his little dove" and embrace her. Why then does he treat her so sternly?
7. What does Bev's acceptance of David, even after he tells her of his forced resignation, suggest about her?
8. After the attack on Lucy's farm, how does David try to comfort Lucy and what is her reaction?
9. While David pleads guilty, he will not say that he repents. What is his reason for refusing this request to sign a repentance?
10. What is David's reaction to Lucy's determination to go back to her farm?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)