|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While one charge against David has to do with misconduct involving Melanie, what does the other charge have to do with?
(a) His history of prior misconducts.
(b) Her record at the university.
(c) David's erratic behavior on campus.
(d) Complaints about David from other students.
2. What is one piece of advice that the lawyer gives David?
(a) Assert that he and Melanie are in love and have plans to marry.
(b) Deny everything.
(c) Assert that his and Melanie's relationship was consentual.
(d) Aim for a settlement.
3. Before the exam, David receives a phone call. Who calls him?
(b) Melanie's father.
(c) Melanie's boyfriend.
(d) Melanie's mother.
4. When David sees Lucy on the morning after their attack, what does he realize has happened to her?
(a) Lucy has been stabbed.
(b) Lucy has been raped.
(c) Lucy has been shot.
(d) Lucy has been drugged.
5. What is one intention of Melanie's that David learns from the phone call that he receives shortly before giving the exam?
(a) Melanie wants to be his teaching assistant.
(b) Melanie wants to file harassment charges against him.
(c) Melanie is ill.
(d) Melanie wants to drop out of school and get a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is it that Lucy suggests that David works for on a volunteer basis?
2. When David accidentally sees Soraya on the street on a day other than when they usually meet, with whom is she?
3. Who is Ettinger who appears at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. Who is Rosalind?
5. At the hospital, what is David treated for?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way might Lucy's concern for flowers and animals be representative of an archetypal figure in literature?
2. When David goes to visit Lucy, what is his observation of Lucy's country life?
3. While David pleads guilty, he will not say that he repents. What is his reason for refusing this request to sign a repentance?
4. When Melanie's boyfriend is in the class, the other students are even quieter than they usually are. How might one interpret this silence?
5. When Melanie's father calls David, how does David respond to Melanie's father's request for help?
6. At David's hearing, what are the two charges to which he pleads guilty?
7. What do David's literary references in Chapter 1 suggest about him?
8. How does Melanie's cousin Pauline treat David over the telephone when he calls for Melanie?
9. What is David's reaction to Lucy's determination to go back to her farm?
10. Of what significance is it that Soraya wiped off her makeup so readily when David asked her to?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)