|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is David's response to Bev's comment that she can tell he likes animals?
(a) He says he can take them or leave them.
(b) He says that, in fact, he doesn't like animals.
(c) He says he never realized it, but he does in fact like animals.
(d) He says he eats them.
2. Where do David and Lucy spend the night after David is treated at the hospital?
(a) At Ettinger's home.
(b) At a shelter.
(c) At the Shaws' home.
(d) At a motel.
3. Except for the course in Romantic poets, what is the general academic area of the courses that David teaches?
(d) World Languages.
4. What is one of the things Lucy does to support herself?
(a) She raises goats.
(b) She boards dogs.
(c) She raises chickens.
(d) She grows organic vegatables to sell.
5. How is David able to locate Soraya after she apparently discontinues their relationship?
(a) She finally calls him.
(b) He contracts a private investigator.
(c) He follows her.
(d) He gets information from her employer.
6. What is it that David spends time working on in the University library?
(a) Research on Wordsworth.
(b) Research on Byron.
(c) Research of Adrienne Rich.
(d) Research on the art of communication.
7. What is David's daughter's name?
8. When the unwelcome guest comes to David's class, he correctly answers a question in one word. What is the answer?
9. When David visits Lucy in her room, what is she doing?
(a) Paying bills.
(b) Making dog toys.
10. After secretly observing Melanie, how does David follow up in his pursuit of Melanie?
(a) He arrives unexpectedly at her apartment.
(b) He sends her flowers.
(c) He asks her to an expensive restaurant.
(d) He sends her a poem he wrote for her.
11. What is one intention of Melanie's that David learns from the phone call that he receives shortly before giving the exam?
(a) Melanie wants to be his teaching assistant.
(b) Melanie is ill.
(c) Melanie wants to drop out of school and get a job.
(d) Melanie wants to file harassment charges against him.
12. Which person confesses a strong liking for the poetry of Wordsworth?
(c) Adrienne Rich.
13. How many times has David Lurie been married?
(a) Four times.
(b) Three times.
14. Who is Rosalind?
(a) A former student girlfriend.
(b) David's ex-wife.
(c) The vice-rector.
(d) The department chairperson.
15. At the hospital, what is David treated for?
(a) Gun wounds.
(d) Knife wounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the occasion that Melanie refuses a date with David, what excuse does she offer?
2. When David accidentally sees Soraya on a day other than when they usually meet, how do they react?
3. Towards the end of the hearing, what does Mathabane imply about David's state of mind?
4. When David decides to get a lawyer, who does he contact?
5. Chapter 9 opens with David watching television. What is he watching?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)