|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As proceedings are introduced against David, what kind of "irregularities" does Elaine Winter introduce against David?
(a) Melanie's essays being generously graded.
(b) Melanie's not submitting sufficient work.
(c) Melanie's grade being suspiciously high.
(d) Melanie's attendance not being reported accurately.
2. Towards the end of the hearing, what does Mathabane imply about David's state of mind?
(a) That David is profoundly clear on the proceedings.
(b) That it is not "crystal clear."
(c) That David is confusing fantasy and reality.
(d) That David is faking insanity.
3. Where does David's daughter live?
(a) Around the corner from his ex-wife.
(b) On a farm.
(c) With his ex-wife.
(d) In London.
4. What does Melanie say she hates to do?
(b) Play the piano.
(c) Write poetry.
5. When David first walks into the hearing, what is the word that best describes his feeling toward the proceedings?
6. Of what ethnicity is Soraya?
7. When David accidentally sees Soraya on the street on a day other than when they usually meet, with whom is she?
(a) One boy and a man.
(b) Two boys.
(c) One boy.
(d) Two boys and a man.
8. At the hospital, what is David treated for?
(b) Knife wounds.
(c) Gun wounds.
9. Who does David describe as a "poor little bird?"
(a) Melanie's cousin.
(d) David's daughter.
10. Who is it that Lucy suggests that David works for on a volunteer basis?
(a) Bill Shaw.
(b) Bev Shaw.
11. What is one piece of advice that the Vice Rector of the university gives David?
(a) He suggests David get a male lawyer.
(b) He suggests David get a female lawyer.
(c) He suggests David act as his own lawyer.
(d) He suggests that David not get a lawyer because it will make him appear guilty.
12. On the way home, what does Lucy accuse her father of?
(a) Thinking that she cannot continue to support herself.
(b) Thinking she should lose weight.
(c) Thinking she is wasting her time.
(d) Thinking she should have friends who are of a higher social class.
13. After the hearing, who is it that asks David how the hearing went?
(a) A female reporter.
(b) The woman from the Coalition Against Discrimination.
(c) A male reporter.
(d) His ex-wife.
14. Who is it that comes to pick up David at the hospital after he is treated?
(c) Bev Shaw.
(d) Bill Shaw.
15. When David visits Lucy in her room, what is she doing?
(c) Making dog toys.
(d) Paying bills.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David intend to use his time while he stays at Lucy's?
2. What is the university that is near where Lucy lives?
3. Which description most accurately describes the clothing of the unwelcome visitor in David's office?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 3, when David calls Melanie, what kind of date does her ask her for?
5. On the day after David and Melanie's date, what disappoints David?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)