|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When David comments to himself on Lucy's wit, to whose wit does he compare it?
(a) His mother's.
(b) Her mother's.
(d) His father's.
2. Why is David a little slow to recognize Lucy when she comes out to greet him in Chapter 7?
(a) Her hair has turned completely grey.
(b) She is dressed like a man.
(c) She has cut her hair.
(d) She has gained weight.
3. What is David's daughter's name?
4. Lucy says Bev admires David. What is the reason Lucy says that Bev admires David?
(a) David is good with animals.
(b) David is Lucy's father.
(c) David is a professor.
(d) David is handsome.
5. What is one intention of Melanie's that David learns from the phone call that he receives shortly before giving the exam?
(a) Melanie wants to file harassment charges against him.
(b) Melanie wants to drop out of school and get a job.
(c) Melanie wants to be his teaching assistant.
(d) Melanie is ill.
6. On the walk David and Lucy go on near her house, they discuss the cycads. What are cycads?
(a) A breed of dog.
(b) A vine.
(c) A type of flower.
(d) A small wild animal.
7. When David and Lucy go for a walk, what does Lucy suggest that David should do?
(a) Accept being alone.
(b) Try to reconcile with his ex-wife.
(c) Get in touch with Melanie.
(d) Find a woman his own age.
8. Where do David and Lucy spend the night after David is treated at the hospital?
(a) At the Shaws' home.
(b) At a shelter.
(c) At a motel.
(d) At Ettinger's home.
9. Who is Petrus?
(a) Lucy's cat.
(b) Lucy's helper with the gardening.
(c) A woman who lives in Lucy's house.
(d) Lucy's neighbor.
10. After secretly observing Melanie, how does David follow up in his pursuit of Melanie?
(a) He asks her to an expensive restaurant.
(b) He sends her a poem he wrote for her.
(c) He sends her flowers.
(d) He arrives unexpectedly at her apartment.
11. On the night after David's day at the clinic, what is the troubling thought that David cannot shake?
(a) That Lucy will soon need more money.
(b) That Lucy will kick him out of the house.
(c) That Lucy may be a lesbian.
(d) That Lucy will end up a spinster.
12. What does Melanie say she hates to do?
(b) Write poetry.
(c) Play the piano.
13. Approximately how old is David Lurie in Chapter 1?
(a) Early forties.
(b) Early fifties.
(c) Early sixties.
(d) Late forties.
14. Shortly before David's class, who is the unwelcome visitor in his office?
(a) Melanie's mother.
(b) Melanie's boyfriend.
(c) Melanie's father.
(d) Melanie's roommate.
15. Where does Lucy tell her father she wants to go when they see each other on the morning after the attack?
(a) She wants to go home.
(b) She wants to go to England.
(c) She wants to see her mother.
(d) She wants to go to see Helen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many files of information does David have for his project?
2. As David walks home from the library, why does he muse that his weeks are now "featureless?"
3. Why is David not paying attention to the sports commentators?
4. What is the name of the second woman from the escort agency that David meets with?
5. Before David visits his daughter, his ex-wife calls him with news. What is this news?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)