|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is it that visits David's class several days after the vandalizing of his property?
(a) Melanie's boyfriend.
(b) Melanie's mother.
(c) Melanie's roommate.
(d) Melanie's father.
2. When David comments to himself on Lucy's wit, to whose wit does he compare it?
(a) Her mother's.
(b) His father's.
(d) His mother's.
3. Who is Melanie Issacs?
(a) A former student.
(b) A current student.
(c) A secretary from his department.
(d) Another professor.
4. Who is it that recommends that David be dismissed immediately and that he forfeit all benefits?
(a) Aram Hakim.
(b) Melanie's father.
5. Who is Elaine Winter?
(a) The department chairperson.
(b) A former student girlfriend.
(c) David's ex-wife.
(d) The vice-rector.
6. Who describes taking a liking to poetry being like falling in love?
(b) Adrienne Rich.
7. On the night after David's day at the clinic, what is the troubling thought that David cannot shake?
(a) That Lucy will end up a spinster.
(b) That Lucy may be a lesbian.
(c) That Lucy will kick him out of the house.
(d) That Lucy will soon need more money.
8. What is the mood in the car after Lucy and David spend the day at the local market?
(b) Argumentative and blaming.
(c) Tearful silence.
(d) Strained silence.
9. Approximately how old is David Lurie in Chapter 1?
(a) Early sixties.
(b) Late forties.
(c) Early fifties.
(d) Early forties.
10. Who is Lara that is mentioned in the context of David's class?
(a) The unwelcome visitor.
(b) Another student.
(c) The woman is a poem.
(d) Amanda's friend.
11. Why is David a little slow to recognize Lucy when she comes out to greet him in Chapter 7?
(a) She is dressed like a man.
(b) She has cut her hair.
(c) She has gained weight.
(d) Her hair has turned completely grey.
12. How many times has David Lurie been married?
(a) Four times.
(c) Three times.
13. When the unwelcome guest comes to David's class, he correctly answers a question in one word. What is the answer?
14. Where does David have the opportunity to observe Melanie without her knowing?
(a) At lunch with her friends.
(b) At play rehearsal.
(c) At her home while he is peering through the window.
(d) At the actual performance of the play.
15. On the night after David's day at the clinic when David cannot sleep, what does he do?
(c) A crossword puzzle.
(d) Stares out the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does David request to speak to after class?
2. What is the university that is near where Lucy lives?
3. Who is Petrus?
4. At the beginning of the Chapter 4, when Melanie and David are intimate, she also questions him about the things he collects. What is it that David says that he does not collect?
5. When David and Lucy go for a walk, what does Lucy suggest that David should do?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)