|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lamar feel about the amount of money they stole during the restaurant robbery?
2. Which of the following gang members does Bud kill while in the tattoo shop?
3. Which of the following characters does Richard shoot and kill?
4. What event does Jeff confront Bud about while in the car on the way home from the police station?
5. After his baseball game, where does Jeff go with his teammates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What moral conflict does Bud encounter while he is tracking tire prints?
2. Why does Bud end up knocking door-to-door in the neighborhood, searching for clues?
3. What does the art curator at the museum say the symbolism is of lions in art?
4. How does Odell die?
5. What does Jeff admit to Bud while on the drive home from the DA's office?
6. What excuse does Bud give as to why he cannot move in with Holly?
7. How does it go when Bud and Holly go house hunting together?
8. What happens when Lamar ambushes Bud in the woods?
9. Why is Bud's son, Jeff, arrested?
10. What happens to CD Henderson at the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Revenge is a large theme throughout the novel. Choose two scenes of revenge and compare / contrast them. First, describe each scene of revenge in detail. Who was the aggressor? Who was the victim? What act was being avenged? Was the act of revenge successful? Why or why not? Then, explain what you think Hunter's overarching message about revenge is. Is revenge always the answer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The opening of the novel is set in a state penitentiary, a community with its own rules for justice and power. First, describe the physicality of the prison. Then, explain how this small civilization functions. How are respect and power earned? Give at least one example from the text that supports your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Whenever the police catch up to the gang, Lamar always manages to outwit them. Give at least two examples of times when Lamar thought outside of the box and creatively came up with ways to outwit the police officers. Describe what Lamar was attempting to cover-up in these outwits, and what the results of his outwitting ways were.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)