|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times was Odell shot during the shooting match at the tattoo parlor?
2. Which Ivy League school does Russ get accepted into?
3. Where does Ruta keep a folder of old crime scene photos?
4. How does CD Henderson respond when there are no hits on the tire print he ordered?
5. What does Bud use to tie the front door of Ruta Beth's home shut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does CD Henderson think the police force is going to make him retire?
2. What valuable piece of evidence does CD Henderson discover at the scene of the Denny's robbery?
3. Why is Bud's son, Jeff, arrested?
4. How does Lamar cope with his growing grief after Odell's death?
5. How does Ruta Beth die?
6. How do Lamar and Bud end up going to visit the same tattoo artist on the same day?
7. What moral conflict does Bud encounter while he is tracking tire prints?
8. How does Jen react to the news that Bud has been having an affair?
9. How does Lamar prepare to stalk Bud and his family?
10. What happens when Bud traces the tire tracks from the Denny's robbery to Ruta Beth's farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the novel's plot surrounds Bud's changing relationship with his wife. First, describe the relationship Bud has with his wife at the opening of the novel and compare / contrast that to the relationship he has with his wife at the end of the novel. Then, give at least two examples of major events in the novel and describe how these events altered the way Bud felt about his relationship with his wife.
Essay Topic 2
One form of conflict within the novel is the public's conflicting views of Lamar and his gang. First, explain the argument of the parties that support Lamar and his gang. Why do they think he should be left alone by the police? Then, compare / contrast that with the argument of the parties that believe Lamar should be put back in prison. Why should he be taken off the streets? Then, give at least one example of the way this tension infiltrates Bud's family's life.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Richard spends much of his time creating gifts for Lamar. First, describe the gifts Richard creates for Lamar, and describe Lamar's reaction to the gifts. Then, explain the metaphoric meaning behind the gifts Richard creates. What symbolism can be found? Please use examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)