|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are Mr. and Mrs. Stepford?
2. Who does Richard think about when he almost drowns in the river?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes the physical state of the gang while they wait for Lamar's return?
4. Who kills the truck driver after escaping from prison?
5. How does Ted feel about his job as a cop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bud Pewtie not excited to be partnered on a manhunt with Ted Pepper?
2. What type of vehicle does Lamar use to escape from prison, and how does he get a hold of it?
3. How does Bud learn about Ted's death, and what is his reaction to the news?
4. How has CD Henderson's police career changed as he has aged?
5. Why was Ruta Beth once incarcerated?
6. What advice does Bud's colonel come to give him while he is recuperating in the hospital?
7. What is Richard's job during the Denny's robbery?
8. At the opening of the novel, why is Lamar Pye in prison?
9. Who is Odell, and what type of trouble does he cause in prison?
10. How does Lamar save Richard's life after the Denny's shootout?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, many of the main characters are in search of redemption for their past mistakes. Choose one character from the novel and explain his / her path to redemption. What past sins is this character hoping to absolve? What process does this character go through in his/her pursuit of redemption? In the end, is this character successfully redeemed for his/her sins? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
CD Henderson is an important figure in the Oklahoma police force. First, describe CD Henderson's police career and the way it has changed over the years. Then, explain what effects police work has had on CD Henderson's personal life. How does CD Henderson's police career directly affect the manhunt for Lamar and the rest of his gang?
Essay Topic 3
Bud and Ted are members of the same police force in Oklahoma. First, describe the type of relationship Bud and Ted have professionally. Then, describe how each man feels about his role as a police officer. Finally, compare / contrast the level of respect each man has within the force, and explain how this comparison affects their relationship with each other.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)