|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Stone's secretary?
2. What is Amanda's real surname?
3. Dino's wife wants to move to which part of the city?
4. Which of the following is not an employee in Amanda's office?
5. What is the name of Amanda's date for the weekend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship between Amanda and Bill Eggers; Amanda and Richard Hickock.
2. What does Amanda do to ensure that she gets everything she wants in her new contract with Galaxy?
3. Who is Elaine? Why is she often featured in the story?
4. What is the relationship between Stone and Dino Bacchetti? Where do the men often meet for dinner?
5. Discuss the scene that takes place between Arrington and Stone in front of Stone's house.
6. Describe Jonathan's presence at Arrington's apartment building.
7. Explain the scene between Stone and Amanda during their trip to Connecticut. What agreement does the couple make?
8. Describe the meeting between Stone, Eggers and Glynnis Hickcock. What is Stone's response?
9. Examine the scene in which Arnie Millman follows Martha McMahon. What tragedy occurs?
10. Discuss the reason for the meeting between Stone and Dick Hickcock. What is Stone's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters, plots, settings, and outcomes of the stories woven into "DIRT". Use the scenarios in another one of Woods' series of books for comparison. How do the story lines differ? What is the conclusion of each story? Which lead character did you like better? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is an important part of a mystery, often giving clues to the reader and the story's detective. What are the ways in which Woods uses symbolism in his stories? Give examples of blatant symbolism and more subtle symbolism. Compare and contrast the symbolism used in Woods' mysteries and the mysteries written by another famous author.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Thomas Bruce aka Jonathan Dryer. What types of things would Bruce be most proud of in his career and personal lives? What other types of professional work might Bruce have done? Would the memoir include details of his relationships with his victims? How might Bruce describe how he felt before, during and after each heist or episode of blackmail?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)