|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the former Prime Minister?
2. How old is Hickcock's mistress?
3. What is the name of Amanda's date for the weekend?
4. What magazine shows an important advertisement?
5. Where is the man's residence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the scene that takes place between Arrington and Stone in front of Stone's house.
2. Discuss the break-in of the second upscale apartment. What items are taken?
3. Stone believes that someone has planted bugs in his house. Discuss other potential victims and Stone's plans to take care of the problem.
4. What issue does Dino face regarding the new apartment in Manhattan? What is Stone's warning?
5. Discuss the conversation between Dino and Stone regarding Arnie. Also describe the events at Arnie's funeral.
6. Examine the meeting between Amanda and Bill Eggers.
7. Examine the scene in which Arnie Millman follows Martha McMahon. What tragedy occurs?
8. Who is Arnie Millman? What parts does Arnie play in the story?
9. Describe the first date between Stone and Arrington.
10. Explain the scene between Stone and Amanda during their trip to Connecticut. What agreement does the couple make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Thomas Bruce aka Jonathan Dryer. What types of things would Bruce be most proud of in his career and personal lives? What other types of professional work might Bruce have done? Would the memoir include details of his relationships with his victims? How might Bruce describe how he felt before, during and after each heist or episode of blackmail?
Essay Topic 2
It is obvious that several of the characters in the book are homosexual or bisexual. How does this fact play into the story? Does it matter? Why do some of the characters find it necessary to hide this fact? How does the sexual preference of the characters affect the story and the investigation? Cite various passages in the text that show a character's sexuality and discuss how it is referenced by Woods. Does Stone have any opinion on this issue? Does Dino?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story from the point of Arrington Carter regarding her first meeting with Stone. How did the pair meet? Was there an instant attraction? When did they become friends and eventually lovers? Does the couple have anything in common at all? If so, what? How does Arrington adjust her professional life in regards to Stone's investigation? How has the life of each character changed since they met?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)