|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the paper that has caused such controversy?
2. What word does Dino use to describe Arnie?
3. What is Amanda's real surname?
4. What is the name of the law firm that frequently hires Stone?
5. What is the name of Amanda's chauffeur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Arnie Millman? What parts does Arnie play in the story?
2. Who is Amanda dart? Why is she an important figure on the New York scene?
3. What is the relationship between Stone and Dino Bacchetti? Where do the men often meet for dinner?
4. Explain the scene between Stone and Amanda during their trip to Connecticut. What agreement does the couple make?
5. Discuss the scene that takes place between Arrington and Stone in front of Stone's house.
6. Who is Elaine? Why is she often featured in the story?
7. Describe Jonathan's presence at Arrington's apartment building.
8. Discuss some of the questions Stone asks Amanda regarding the case.
9. Describe the meeting between Stone, Eggers and Glynnis Hickcock. What is Stone's response?
10. Discuss the reason for the meeting between Stone and Dick Hickcock. What is Stone's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a complete character description of Jonathan Dryer. What is Dryer's real name? What is the persona he uses in New York? How is it different from his real persona? How does he become involved with DIRT? What is Jonathan's purpose for exposing Amanda, Hickcock and Peebles? Explain. Also explain Dryer's former work with the government and training in covert operations.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Thomas Bruce aka Jonathan Dryer. What types of things would Bruce be most proud of in his career and personal lives? What other types of professional work might Bruce have done? Would the memoir include details of his relationships with his victims? How might Bruce describe how he felt before, during and after each heist or episode of blackmail?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters, plots, settings, and outcomes of the stories woven into "DIRT". Use the scenarios in another one of Woods' series of books for comparison. How do the story lines differ? What is the conclusion of each story? Which lead character did you like better? Explain.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)