|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the point of the blue squiggles Dirk writes on a piece of paper?
2. What does the ghost say about possessing Michael?
3. At Richard's place, Detective Inspector Mason is accompanied by Sergeant Gilks, who is:
4. After Reg discusses the matter of getting the salt shaker into the old Greek pot, Dirk explains that:
5. Why do Reg, Richard, and Dirk travel across time to a rain forest in Mauritius in 1676?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Michael brought scuba gear with him to Reg's time machine?
2. What does Michael reveal to drunken train travelers when he is possessed by an ancient alien ghost?
3. How does Dirk use the time machine to stop Michael from following the ghost's orders on primordial Earth?
4. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, what has he just dreamed about?
5. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
6. What reason does Reg give for resisting the temptation to use his time machine?
7. What happens when the Electric Monk believes that Sergeant Gilks is a god?
8. How does the alien ghost communicate with Dirk, Richard, and Reg?
9. How do Chapters 18 - 20 hint at characters being possessed by ghosts?
10. How does Reg get the salt shaker into young Sarah's old Greek pot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Dirk Gently save the human race from total extinction, as he claims that he does? Does he save the day by himself or with help from others? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
The Electric Monk is a quirky character and a key literary device. Explain who and what the Electric Monk is. Then, explain how he helps create and advance the book's plot.
Essay Topic 3
In this book, the paranormal is normal. Cite three instances where a paranormal activity is treated like a perfectly normal occurrence.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)