|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dirk listens to the answering machine tape found in Richard's apartment, he realizes that:
2. When Richard and Dirk visit Reg, what does Dirk say to Reg about his secret?
3. When Richard goes to Susan's place to comfort her after her brother's death, he finds her doing what?
4. Since Richard can't go to the police, Dirk decides to do what?
5. After Richard comes out of hypnosis, where does Dirk take him to talk about what he learned during the session?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dirk manipulate the police when he gets to Richard's apartment?
2. How does the alien ghost communicate with Dirk, Richard, and Reg?
3. What happens when the Electric Monk believes that Sergeant Gilks is a god?
4. Explain why Dirk hypnotizes Richard.
5. How does Reg behave when he takes Dirk and Richard with him back in time to a rain forest?
6. Why is the answering machine tape Dirk finds in Richard's apartment important?
7. Explain how Dirk and Richard feel about ghosts.
8. How do Chapters 18 - 20 hint at characters being possessed by ghosts?
9. Why do Dirk and Reg seem so familiar with each other?
10. What does Michael reveal to drunken train travelers when he is possessed by an ancient alien ghost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Professor Urban Chronotis, commonly known as Reg, an absent-minded professor, a genius, or a little of both? Support your answer with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Does Dirk Gently save the human race from total extinction, as he claims that he does? Does he save the day by himself or with help from others? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the reasons that Reg chooses to time travel with his time machine. How does Dirk feel about the professor's reasons? How does the professor contradict himself when he says that he doesn't affect the past? At what point does the professor realize that he's been time traveling irresponsibly?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)