|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was trying to use Dirk's agency telephone to make a call to Susan?
2. As Richard and Dirk talk with the ancient alien ghost, trying to fully understand his story, Richard comes up with the theory that perhaps ghosts:
3. After seeking advice from Nicola, who is ill, about a cello piece with challenging fingering, Susan gets a call. She answers it and hears what?
4. At the end of the book, Richard has a phone conversation with Reg during which he learns that:
5. When Dirk questions Richard about information revealed under hypnosis, he first asks about what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dirk Gently and Richard MacDuff. What attributes define each character? What are their flaws? At what points in the story does each one get a turn being the hero?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships in this story are complicated. Analyze the complexities and nuances of the following relationships:
1. Richard and Susan.
2. Dirk and Reg.
3. The Electric Monk and his horse.
Essay Topic 3
Does Dirk Gently save the human race from total extinction, as he claims that he does? Does he save the day by himself or with help from others? Explain in detail.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)