|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dirk tells Richard that under hypnosis, he was able to remember details he's not even aware of consciously, including a full description of what?
2. Why does Richard call Susan after Dirk gives him the details of Gordon's death a second time?
3. Dirk insists on talking about Richard's sofa with him because he firmly believes that:
4. When Reg tells his story to Richard and Dirk, he says he's so old that:
5. After Reg talks to Richard and Dirk and explains the whole business about the horse, the ghost, the face powder, and quantum jumps, he mentions that:
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Dirk and Richard feel about ghosts.
2. At the end of the book, how does Richard finally do right by Susan?
3. How does Dirk use the time machine to stop Michael from following the ghost's orders on primordial Earth?
4. When Richard and his friends board the alien's mothership that has been orbiting Earth undetected for billions of years, what fills him with awe?
5. Why does Dirk want Richard to ask Reg about his conjuring act?
6. How does Reg behave when he takes Dirk and Richard with him back in time to a rain forest?
7. Why does Richard jump into a canal?
8. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, what has he just dreamed about?
9. How does Dirk manipulate the police when he gets to Richard's apartment?
10. Why is the answering machine tape Dirk finds in Richard's apartment important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Electric Monk is a quirky character and a key literary device. Explain who and what the Electric Monk is. Then, explain how he helps create and advance the book's plot.
Essay Topic 2
Dirk and Richard regard ghosts differently, with one being more accepting and the other more skeptical. Using examples from the book, compare and contrast how these two friends regard the concept of ghosts.
Essay Topic 3
Does Dirk Gently save the human race from total extinction, as he claims that he does? Does he save the day by himself or with help from others? Explain in detail.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)