|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk do when a police officer is about to saw Richard's sofa in half?
2. When Michael Wenton-Weakes digs into his wastebasket, he pulls out a copy of the magazine Fathom and finds what?
3. When Richard and Dirk visit Reg, why does Dirk prompt Richard to ask about the conjuring trick?
4. The ancient alien ghost that has possessed Michael Wenton-Weakes had been driven mad by what?
5. The ancient alien ghost tells Richard that upon reading his article about music, he was what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Reg get the salt shaker into young Sarah's old Greek pot?
2. How does Dirk manipulate the police when he gets to Richard's apartment?
3. Why does Richard jump into a canal?
4. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
5. Why does Dirk want Richard to ask Reg about his conjuring act?
6. When Richard and his friends board the alien's mothership that has been orbiting Earth undetected for billions of years, what fills him with awe?
7. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
8. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, what has he just dreamed about?
9. How does Dirk use the time machine to stop Michael from following the ghost's orders on primordial Earth?
10. What happens when the Electric Monk believes that Sergeant Gilks is a god?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the reasons that Reg chooses to time travel with his time machine. How does Dirk feel about the professor's reasons? How does the professor contradict himself when he says that he doesn't affect the past? At what point does the professor realize that he's been time traveling irresponsibly?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the following characters provide welcome comic relief at various points in the story:
1. The Electric Monk.
2. Richard the successful programmer.
3. Professor Urban Chronotis.
Essay Topic 3
How does the desolate opening scene change when it is revisited near the end of the book as Reg, Dirk, and Richard time travel? What aspects remain the same? What circumstances and situations create a different outcome the second time around?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)