|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since Richard can't go to the police, Dirk decides to do what?
2. Dirk figures out that the alien ghost wants to wipe out humanity and:
3. The world that the ancient alien came from is what?
4. Why does Dirk get an unusual phone with big red push-buttons?
5. What is the point of the blue squiggles Dirk writes on a piece of paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Electric Monk believes that Sergeant Gilks is a god?
2. Why does Richard jump into a canal?
3. Why has Michael brought scuba gear with him to Reg's time machine?
4. How does Reg get the salt shaker into young Sarah's old Greek pot?
5. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
6. How does Reg behave when he takes Dirk and Richard with him back in time to a rain forest?
7. How does Dirk use the time machine to stop Michael from following the ghost's orders on primordial Earth?
8. Why does Dirk want Richard to ask Reg about his conjuring act?
9. Susan keeps getting phone calls where all she hears is a faint wind. What are these calls about?
10. What does Michael reveal to drunken train travelers when he is possessed by an ancient alien ghost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is a tool the author uses extensively in this book. List three instances where irony is used in situations involving one of the following characters:
Gordon, Richard, and Reg.
Essay Topic 2
Relationships in this story are complicated. Analyze the complexities and nuances of the following relationships:
1. Richard and Susan.
2. Dirk and Reg.
3. The Electric Monk and his horse.
Essay Topic 3
Cite three examples from the book where the author uses foreshadowing to alert the reader of events to come. Why is foreshadowing such an important storytelling tool for Douglas Adams? How does it enhance his writing style?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)