|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk do when a police officer is about to saw Richard's sofa in half?
2. After waking up from unusual dreams, pondering the events of the night before, and realizing he has no lunch date planned, what does Michael Wenton-Weakes do?
3. After receiving the vital piece of information from Richard about a murder, Dirk realizes that the alien ghost was able to possess Michael because:
4. After Richard comes out of hypnosis, where does Dirk take him to talk about what he learned during the session?
5. As Richard and Dirk talk with the ancient alien ghost, trying to fully understand his story, Richard comes up with the theory that perhaps ghosts:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the answering machine tape Dirk finds in Richard's apartment important?
2. How does Dirk manipulate the police when he gets to Richard's apartment?
3. How does the alien ghost communicate with Dirk, Richard, and Reg?
4. How is the alien ghost responsible for life on Earth?
5. Susan keeps getting phone calls where all she hears is a faint wind. What are these calls about?
6. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
7. How do Chapters 18 - 20 hint at characters being possessed by ghosts?
8. When Richard and his friends board the alien's mothership that has been orbiting Earth undetected for billions of years, what fills him with awe?
9. How does Reg behave when he takes Dirk and Richard with him back in time to a rain forest?
10. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, what has he just dreamed about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is a tool the author uses extensively in this book. List three instances where irony is used in situations involving one of the following characters:
Gordon, Richard, and Reg.
Essay Topic 2
Expand upon the following themes covered extensively in this book:
1. The cause and effect nature of making choices.
2. The interconnectedness of all occurrences, especially those that seem random.
Essay Topic 3
Cite three examples from the book where the author uses foreshadowing to alert the reader of events to come. Why is foreshadowing such an important storytelling tool for Douglas Adams? How does it enhance his writing style?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)