|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reg's explanation of his magic tricks reveals that he has been:
2. When Dirk listens to the answering machine tape found in Richard's apartment, he realizes that:
3. As Richard and Dirk talk with the ancient alien ghost, trying to fully understand his story, Richard comes up with the theory that perhaps ghosts:
4. When Richard visits Susan to comfort her after Gordon's death, the phone rings; Richard answers it and hears what?
5. Dirk figures out that the alien ghost wants to wipe out humanity and:
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the alien ghost responsible for life on Earth?
2. At the end of the book, how does Richard finally do right by Susan?
3. Why do Dirk and Reg seem so familiar with each other?
4. How does Reg behave when he takes Dirk and Richard with him back in time to a rain forest?
5. How does the alien ghost communicate with Dirk, Richard, and Reg?
6. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
7. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, what has he just dreamed about?
8. When Richard and his friends board the alien's mothership that has been orbiting Earth undetected for billions of years, what fills him with awe?
9. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
10. Why has Michael brought scuba gear with him to Reg's time machine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Props and objects are strongly associated with specific characters. Explain the association between the following characters and their props and the importance of each object:
1. Susan and her cello.
2. Reg and his abacus.
3. Richard and his sofa.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons that Reg chooses to time travel with his time machine. How does Dirk feel about the professor's reasons? How does the professor contradict himself when he says that he doesn't affect the past? At what point does the professor realize that he's been time traveling irresponsibly?
Essay Topic 3
Is Professor Urban Chronotis, commonly known as Reg, an absent-minded professor, a genius, or a little of both? Support your answer with passages from the book.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)