|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reg's resistance to the poltergeist results in what?
2. Dirk hears Gordon's ghost on the answering machine tape found in Richard's apartment. What does the ghost want?
3. Reg's explanation of his magic tricks reveals that he has been:
4. When the time machine leaves the rain forest and heads back to Cambridge, a knock on the door reveals Michael standing there with what?
5. With Michael now possessed by a ghost speaking through him, Dirk, Richard, and Reg learn what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk purchase an easy to use phone with large red push-buttons for his detective agency?
2. Why do Dirk and Reg seem so familiar with each other?
3. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, what has he just dreamed about?
4. Why has Michael brought scuba gear with him to Reg's time machine?
5. What does Michael reveal to drunken train travelers when he is possessed by an ancient alien ghost?
6. When Richard and his friends board the alien's mothership that has been orbiting Earth undetected for billions of years, what fills him with awe?
7. How does Dirk use the time machine to stop Michael from following the ghost's orders on primordial Earth?
8. How does Reg get the salt shaker into young Sarah's old Greek pot?
9. What happens when the Electric Monk believes that Sergeant Gilks is a god?
10. How is the alien ghost responsible for life on Earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dirk Gently and Richard MacDuff. What attributes define each character? What are their flaws? At what points in the story does each one get a turn being the hero?
Essay Topic 2
How does the desolate opening scene change when it is revisited near the end of the book as Reg, Dirk, and Richard time travel? What aspects remain the same? What circumstances and situations create a different outcome the second time around?
Essay Topic 3
Cite three examples from the book where the author uses foreshadowing to alert the reader of events to come. Why is foreshadowing such an important storytelling tool for Douglas Adams? How does it enhance his writing style?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)