|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard checks where he is so that he can tell Susan by phone, he sees a black tower next to a river of mud. When he asks where they are, what is Dirk's reply?
2. The individual sitting with drunk men on the train full of party revelers is haunted by an ancient ghost who says that:
3. When Detective Inspector Mason arrives at Richard's apartment, what does he order police officers to do?
4. The ancient alien ghost explains that he came from where?
5. In Chapter 28, Reg explains that for several months he hadn't been using the time machine because:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk purchase an easy to use phone with large red push-buttons for his detective agency?
2. Why does Richard jump into a canal?
3. What reason does Reg give for resisting the temptation to use his time machine?
4. How does Reg get the salt shaker into young Sarah's old Greek pot?
5. Explain why Dirk hypnotizes Richard.
6. How does Reg behave when he takes Dirk and Richard with him back in time to a rain forest?
7. Why is the answering machine tape Dirk finds in Richard's apartment important?
8. Why does Dirk want Richard to ask Reg about his conjuring act?
9. How does Dirk manipulate the police when he gets to Richard's apartment?
10. Explain how Dirk and Richard feel about ghosts.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the desolate opening scene change when it is revisited near the end of the book as Reg, Dirk, and Richard time travel? What aspects remain the same? What circumstances and situations create a different outcome the second time around?
Essay Topic 2
Dirk and Richard regard ghosts differently, with one being more accepting and the other more skeptical. Using examples from the book, compare and contrast how these two friends regard the concept of ghosts.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dirk Gently and Richard MacDuff. What attributes define each character? What are their flaws? At what points in the story does each one get a turn being the hero?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)