|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since Richard can't go to the police, Dirk decides to do what?
2. When Dirk questions Richard about information revealed under hypnosis, he first asks about what?
3. Dirk tells Richard that under hypnosis, he was able to remember details he's not even aware of consciously, including a full description of what?
4. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, he realizes that he had just dreamed about what?
5. Dirk figures out that the alien ghost wants to wipe out humanity and:
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Dirk and Richard feel about ghosts.
2. Why does Dirk purchase an easy to use phone with large red push-buttons for his detective agency?
3. Why has Michael brought scuba gear with him to Reg's time machine?
4. How do Chapters 18 - 20 hint at characters being possessed by ghosts?
5. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
6. When Richard and his friends board the alien's mothership that has been orbiting Earth undetected for billions of years, what fills him with awe?
7. At the end of the book, how does Richard finally do right by Susan?
8. How does Dirk use the time machine to stop Michael from following the ghost's orders on primordial Earth?
9. Why do Dirk and Reg seem so familiar with each other?
10. Why does Richard jump into a canal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dirk and Richard regard ghosts differently, with one being more accepting and the other more skeptical. Using examples from the book, compare and contrast how these two friends regard the concept of ghosts.
Essay Topic 2
Relationships in this story are complicated. Analyze the complexities and nuances of the following relationships:
1. Richard and Susan.
2. Dirk and Reg.
3. The Electric Monk and his horse.
Essay Topic 3
Expand upon the following themes covered extensively in this book:
1. The cause and effect nature of making choices.
2. The interconnectedness of all occurrences, especially those that seem random.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)