|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dirk insists on talking about Richard's sofa with him because he firmly believes that:
2. What is the point of the blue squiggles Dirk writes on a piece of paper?
3. The ancient alien ghost explains that he and his party landed on Earth for what?
4. Reg replies "You're standing in it" in response to Dirk's question of where is the what?
5. At the end of the story, Richard is able to make reservations for dinner with Susan at a very expensive, elite restaurant that's booked three weeks in advance by doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk want Richard to ask Reg about his conjuring act?
2. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
3. How does the alien ghost communicate with Dirk, Richard, and Reg?
4. Why does Richard jump into a canal?
5. Susan keeps getting phone calls where all she hears is a faint wind. What are these calls about?
6. How does Reg get the salt shaker into young Sarah's old Greek pot?
7. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
8. When Richard and his friends board the alien's mothership that has been orbiting Earth undetected for billions of years, what fills him with awe?
9. How is the alien ghost responsible for life on Earth?
10. Why has Michael brought scuba gear with him to Reg's time machine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Electric Monk is a quirky character and a key literary device. Explain who and what the Electric Monk is. Then, explain how he helps create and advance the book's plot.
Essay Topic 2
Cite three examples from the book where the author uses foreshadowing to alert the reader of events to come. Why is foreshadowing such an important storytelling tool for Douglas Adams? How does it enhance his writing style?
Essay Topic 3
How does the desolate opening scene change when it is revisited near the end of the book as Reg, Dirk, and Richard time travel? What aspects remain the same? What circumstances and situations create a different outcome the second time around?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)