|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the ghost say about possessing Michael?
2. Since Richard can't go to the police, Dirk decides to do what?
3. When Dirk listens to the answering machine tape found in Richard's apartment, he realizes that:
4. What three magic words has the Electric Monk been saying to people after listening to their troubles?
5. Who sits next to three drunk men on a train that is full of party revelers from a wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, what has he just dreamed about?
2. Why do Dirk and Reg seem so familiar with each other?
3. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
4. How does the alien ghost communicate with Dirk, Richard, and Reg?
5. At the end of the book, how does Richard finally do right by Susan?
6. How do Chapters 18 - 20 hint at characters being possessed by ghosts?
7. Susan keeps getting phone calls where all she hears is a faint wind. What are these calls about?
8. When Richard and his friends board the alien's mothership that has been orbiting Earth undetected for billions of years, what fills him with awe?
9. What reason does Reg give for resisting the temptation to use his time machine?
10. Why is the answering machine tape Dirk finds in Richard's apartment important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Dirk Gently save the human race from total extinction, as he claims that he does? Does he save the day by himself or with help from others? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Cite three examples from the book where the author uses foreshadowing to alert the reader of events to come. Why is foreshadowing such an important storytelling tool for Douglas Adams? How does it enhance his writing style?
Essay Topic 3
The Electric Monk is a quirky character and a key literary device. Explain who and what the Electric Monk is. Then, explain how he helps create and advance the book's plot.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)