|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the book, Richard has a phone conversation with Reg during which he learns that:
2. After seeking advice from Nicola, who is ill, about a cello piece with challenging fingering, Susan gets a call. She answers it and hears what?
3. When Dirk questions Richard about information revealed under hypnosis, he first asks about what?
4. After Richard comes out of hypnosis, where does Dirk take him to talk about what he learned during the session?
5. When Reg tells his story to Richard and Dirk, he says he's so old that:
Short Essay Questions
1. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, what has he just dreamed about?
2. At the end of the book, how does Richard finally do right by Susan?
3. When Richard and his friends board the alien's mothership that has been orbiting Earth undetected for billions of years, what fills him with awe?
4. What does Michael reveal to drunken train travelers when he is possessed by an ancient alien ghost?
5. Why does Dirk purchase an easy to use phone with large red push-buttons for his detective agency?
6. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
7. How does the alien ghost communicate with Dirk, Richard, and Reg?
8. How does Reg get the salt shaker into young Sarah's old Greek pot?
9. Why does Richard jump into a canal?
10. How does Reg behave when he takes Dirk and Richard with him back in time to a rain forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the seemingly unconnected pieces of the author's big puzzle come together near the end. Describe three key pieces of the puzzle that lead the main characters to realize that the human race is in danger if the alien ghost is allowed to carry out his plans.
Essay Topic 2
The ancient alien ghost unsuccessfully tries to gain control over the poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Richard, and Reg. The ghost does succeed in fully possessing Michael. What enables the ghost to possess him completely? What similarities do Michael and the ghost share?
Essay Topic 3
Props and objects are strongly associated with specific characters. Explain the association between the following characters and their props and the importance of each object:
1. Susan and her cello.
2. Reg and his abacus.
3. Richard and his sofa.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)