|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dirk figures out that the alien ghost wants to wipe out humanity and:
2. Why does Richard call Susan after Dirk gives him the details of Gordon's death a second time?
3. Reg replies "You're standing in it" in response to Dirk's question of where is the what?
4. When Michael, possessed by the alien ghost, leaves the time machine and heads toward the tower, what is he wearing?
5. When the engines of the alien spaceship were damaged upon landing, the now-ghost had sent the Electric Monk out to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
2. How do Chapters 18 - 20 hint at characters being possessed by ghosts?
3. What does Michael reveal to drunken train travelers when he is possessed by an ancient alien ghost?
4. At the end of the book, how does Richard finally do right by Susan?
5. What reason does Reg give for resisting the temptation to use his time machine?
6. How does Reg get the salt shaker into young Sarah's old Greek pot?
7. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
8. What happens when the Electric Monk believes that Sergeant Gilks is a god?
9. How does Dirk use the time machine to stop Michael from following the ghost's orders on primordial Earth?
10. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, what has he just dreamed about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the following characters provide welcome comic relief at various points in the story:
1. The Electric Monk.
2. Richard the successful programmer.
3. Professor Urban Chronotis.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dirk Gently and Richard MacDuff. What attributes define each character? What are their flaws? At what points in the story does each one get a turn being the hero?
Essay Topic 3
How does the desolate opening scene change when it is revisited near the end of the book as Reg, Dirk, and Richard time travel? What aspects remain the same? What circumstances and situations create a different outcome the second time around?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)