|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the time machine leaves the rain forest and heads back to Cambridge, a knock on the door reveals Michael standing there with what?
2. After Reg discusses the matter of getting the salt shaker into the old Greek pot, Dirk explains that:
3. After seeking advice from Nicola, who is ill, about a cello piece with challenging fingering, Susan gets a call. She answers it and hears what?
4. Richard presses Reg to explain how he got the salt shaker into the old Greek pot, and Reg replies that:
5. According to the alien ghost's explanation, what has been orbiting Earth undetected since the explosion that killed him and his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
2. When Richard and his friends board the alien's mothership that has been orbiting Earth undetected for billions of years, what fills him with awe?
3. What does Michael reveal to drunken train travelers when he is possessed by an ancient alien ghost?
4. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
5. What happens when the Electric Monk believes that Sergeant Gilks is a god?
6. Why has Michael brought scuba gear with him to Reg's time machine?
7. How does Reg get the salt shaker into young Sarah's old Greek pot?
8. How does Dirk manipulate the police when he gets to Richard's apartment?
9. Why does Dirk want Richard to ask Reg about his conjuring act?
10. Why does Richard jump into a canal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the desolate opening scene change when it is revisited near the end of the book as Reg, Dirk, and Richard time travel? What aspects remain the same? What circumstances and situations create a different outcome the second time around?
Essay Topic 2
All the seemingly unconnected pieces of the author's big puzzle come together near the end. Describe three key pieces of the puzzle that lead the main characters to realize that the human race is in danger if the alien ghost is allowed to carry out his plans.
Essay Topic 3
Irony is a tool the author uses extensively in this book. List three instances where irony is used in situations involving one of the following characters:
Gordon, Richard, and Reg.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)