|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dirk brings up the matter of Richard's sofa, Richard is appalled, since he feels they should be talking about what instead?
2. After Reg discusses the matter of getting the salt shaker into the old Greek pot, Dirk explains that:
3. Who sits next to three drunk men on a train that is full of party revelers from a wedding?
4. What does Dirk do when a police officer is about to saw Richard's sofa in half?
5. After Dirk saves the world, Richard asks:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk want Richard to ask Reg about his conjuring act?
2. How does Reg behave when he takes Dirk and Richard with him back in time to a rain forest?
3. How does Dirk use the time machine to stop Michael from following the ghost's orders on primordial Earth?
4. What reason does Reg give for resisting the temptation to use his time machine?
5. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
6. At the end of the book, how does Richard finally do right by Susan?
7. Susan keeps getting phone calls where all she hears is a faint wind. What are these calls about?
8. Why is the answering machine tape Dirk finds in Richard's apartment important?
9. Why has Michael brought scuba gear with him to Reg's time machine?
10. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, what has he just dreamed about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dirk and Richard regard ghosts differently, with one being more accepting and the other more skeptical. Using examples from the book, compare and contrast how these two friends regard the concept of ghosts.
Essay Topic 2
The Electric Monk is a quirky character and a key literary device. Explain who and what the Electric Monk is. Then, explain how he helps create and advance the book's plot.
Essay Topic 3
Relationships in this story are complicated. Analyze the complexities and nuances of the following relationships:
1. Richard and Susan.
2. Dirk and Reg.
3. The Electric Monk and his horse.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)