|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After receiving the vital piece of information from Richard about a murder, Dirk realizes that the alien ghost was able to possess Michael because:
2. When Dirk questions Richard about information revealed under hypnosis, he first asks about what?
3. The ghost explains that he was able to enter Samuel Taylor Coleridge's mind when he was what?
4. In talking to Reg, Dirk figures out that when Richard seemed hypnotized, he really was:
5. Why does Dirk get an unusual phone with big red push-buttons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk purchase an easy to use phone with large red push-buttons for his detective agency?
2. How does Dirk use the time machine to stop Michael from following the ghost's orders on primordial Earth?
3. How do Chapters 18 - 20 hint at characters being possessed by ghosts?
4. How does Reg get the salt shaker into young Sarah's old Greek pot?
5. What reason does Reg give for resisting the temptation to use his time machine?
6. How is the alien ghost responsible for life on Earth?
7. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
8. What does Michael reveal to drunken train travelers when he is possessed by an ancient alien ghost?
9. Why does Dirk want Richard to ask Reg about his conjuring act?
10. When Richard and his friends board the alien's mothership that has been orbiting Earth undetected for billions of years, what fills him with awe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dirk Gently and Richard MacDuff. What attributes define each character? What are their flaws? At what points in the story does each one get a turn being the hero?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons that Reg chooses to time travel with his time machine. How does Dirk feel about the professor's reasons? How does the professor contradict himself when he says that he doesn't affect the past? At what point does the professor realize that he's been time traveling irresponsibly?
Essay Topic 3
Dirk and Richard regard ghosts differently, with one being more accepting and the other more skeptical. Using examples from the book, compare and contrast how these two friends regard the concept of ghosts.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)