|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ancient alien ghost explains that he and his party landed on Earth for what?
2. Why do Reg, Richard, and Dirk travel across time to a rain forest in Mauritius in 1676?
3. When Dirk questions Richard about information revealed under hypnosis, he first asks about what?
4. Where does Reg go to get face powder to conceal his tan?
5. As Richard and Dirk talk with the ancient alien ghost, trying to fully understand his story, Richard comes up with the theory that perhaps ghosts:
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
2. How do Chapters 18 - 20 hint at characters being possessed by ghosts?
3. How does Reg behave when he takes Dirk and Richard with him back in time to a rain forest?
4. Why does Dirk purchase an easy to use phone with large red push-buttons for his detective agency?
5. Why is the answering machine tape Dirk finds in Richard's apartment important?
6. Why has Michael brought scuba gear with him to Reg's time machine?
7. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
8. Why do Dirk and Reg seem so familiar with each other?
9. How does Dirk manipulate the police when he gets to Richard's apartment?
10. What happens when the Electric Monk believes that Sergeant Gilks is a god?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Professor Urban Chronotis, commonly known as Reg, an absent-minded professor, a genius, or a little of both? Support your answer with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Does Dirk Gently save the human race from total extinction, as he claims that he does? Does he save the day by himself or with help from others? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 3
All the seemingly unconnected pieces of the author's big puzzle come together near the end. Describe three key pieces of the puzzle that lead the main characters to realize that the human race is in danger if the alien ghost is allowed to carry out his plans.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)