|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard and Dirk go to Reg's home, Richard learns that:
2. Who was trying to use Dirk's agency telephone to make a call to Susan?
3. What does Sergeant Gilks determine after listening to the answering machine tape found in Richard's apartment?
4. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, he realizes that he had just dreamed about what?
5. At the end of the story, Richard is able to make reservations for dinner with Susan at a very expensive, elite restaurant that's booked three weeks in advance by doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Susan keeps getting phone calls where all she hears is a faint wind. What are these calls about?
2. What happens when the Electric Monk believes that Sergeant Gilks is a god?
3. How do Chapters 18 - 20 hint at characters being possessed by ghosts?
4. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
5. Explain why Dirk hypnotizes Richard.
6. Why does Richard jump into a canal?
7. What does Michael reveal to drunken train travelers when he is possessed by an ancient alien ghost?
8. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
9. Why does Dirk purchase an easy to use phone with large red push-buttons for his detective agency?
10. How is the alien ghost responsible for life on Earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Props and objects are strongly associated with specific characters. Explain the association between the following characters and their props and the importance of each object:
1. Susan and her cello.
2. Reg and his abacus.
3. Richard and his sofa.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the prominent ghosts in this story, namely, Gordon Way's ghost and the ancient alien ghost. What frustrations do they share? What is each ghost's primary goal or mission? How do their intents differ? What vital role does each ghost play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The ancient alien ghost unsuccessfully tries to gain control over the poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Richard, and Reg. The ghost does succeed in fully possessing Michael. What enables the ghost to possess him completely? What similarities do Michael and the ghost share?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)