|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Electric Monk is:
2. Who does Michael Wenton-Weakes blame for stealing his magazine?
3. Why does Richard MacDuff dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
4. While Richard drives and leaves a lengthy message of apology on Susan's answering machine, he swerves because he sees what?
5. How is Gordon Way related to Susan, the cellist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the range of emotions Susan experiences in Chapter 3.
2. When Richard asks one of Reg's neighbors about the horse, what response does he get?
3. Why can't Richard bring Susan to the French restaurant, L'Esprit d'Escalier?
4. What does Susan decide to do in Chapter 3 after her boyfriend fails to show up?
5. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, what surprises him about the front door landing?
6. After forgetting to take Susan to the Coleridge dinner, how does Richard make things worse with her?
7. As Chapter 4 opens, two men are walking towards a dinner on campus honoring Samuel T. Coleridge. Who are these two men?
8. Why and how does Reg entertain Sarah, a bored little girl attending the Coleridge dinner?
9. Explain why Gordon is upset after he dies.
10. Why does Dirk Gently get kicked out of college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Dirk Gently save the human race from total extinction, as he claims that he does? Does he save the day by himself or with help from others? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Dirk and Richard regard ghosts differently, with one being more accepting and the other more skeptical. Using examples from the book, compare and contrast how these two friends regard the concept of ghosts.
Essay Topic 3
The Electric Monk is a quirky character and a key literary device. Explain who and what the Electric Monk is. Then, explain how he helps create and advance the book's plot.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)