|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gordon Way die at the end of Chapter 7?
2. As a ghostly Gordon makes his way to his cabin, he wonders what will happen to his what?
3. Who tells Richard that Gordon was murdered?
4. While Richard drives and leaves a lengthy message of apology on Susan's answering machine, he swerves because he sees what?
5. How old is the alien ghost that roams Earth filled with guilt and loneliness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dirk manipulate the police when he gets to Richard's apartment?
2. Explain how Dirk and Richard feel about ghosts.
3. Why does Dirk Gently get kicked out of college?
4. Why does Richard jump into a canal?
5. After forgetting to take Susan to the Coleridge dinner, how does Richard make things worse with her?
6. What types of phone conversations does Dirk have at his detective agency?
7. What does Susan decide to do in Chapter 3 after her boyfriend fails to show up?
8. Describe the mysterious tower the author writes about as the book opens.
9. As a ghostly Gordon makes his way to his cottage, what does he ponder?
10. How does Gordon Way, founder of WayForward Technologies, flesh out his numerous business ideas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the seemingly unconnected pieces of the author's big puzzle come together near the end. Describe three key pieces of the puzzle that lead the main characters to realize that the human race is in danger if the alien ghost is allowed to carry out his plans.
Essay Topic 2
Expand upon the following themes covered extensively in this book:
1. The cause and effect nature of making choices.
2. The interconnectedness of all occurrences, especially those that seem random.
Essay Topic 3
Cite three examples from the book where the author uses foreshadowing to alert the reader of events to come. Why is foreshadowing such an important storytelling tool for Douglas Adams? How does it enhance his writing style?
This section contains 1,489 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)