|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard writes Anthem, a financial spreadsheet that translates business financial numbers, into what?
2. When the Electric Monk sits perfectly still atop his horse in a valley on a foreign world, how does everything looks to him?
3. What kind of car does Gordon Way drive?
4. Why does Richard MacDuff dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
5. In Chapter 4, Richard MacDuff attends a dinner held in honor of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the range of emotions Susan experiences in Chapter 3.
2. By the end of the first chapter, what appears to have happened to the tower?
3. Why does the little girl, Sarah, pass around a pot at the Coleridge dinner?
4. Why is the Electric Monk confused after killing Gordon?
5. Explain what happens after Gordon's ghost arrives at his cottage.
6. Within the context of breaking into Susan's apartment, explain why Richard appears to be someone who makes poor choices.
7. How does Richard discover that his boss, Gordon, has been murdered?
8. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, what surprises him about the front door landing?
9. Why does Dirk Gently get kicked out of college?
10. How does Richard locate Dirk Gently's detective agency?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, questions remain as to whether or not Dirk Gently truly has psychic powers. In your opinion, does he or does he not have special psychic abilities? What other abilities does he possess (such as keen powers of observation) that might make him seem psychic to a casual observer?
Essay Topic 2
Is Professor Urban Chronotis, commonly known as Reg, an absent-minded professor, a genius, or a little of both? Support your answer with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Relationships in this story are complicated. Analyze the complexities and nuances of the following relationships:
1. Richard and Susan.
2. Dirk and Reg.
3. The Electric Monk and his horse.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)