|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Richard MacDuff walk to a dinner in Chapter 4?
2. In college, why do fellow students start to wine and dine Dirk?
3. How does Gordon Way die at the end of Chapter 7?
4. After Richard sees the horse in Reg's bathroom, he leaves and knocks on a neighbor's door. Who answers?
5. When Richard calls Susan to apologize for forgetting to bring her to the college dinner, he suggests they do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author utilize foreshadowing with the character Gordon Way?
2. How does Richard locate Dirk Gently's detective agency?
3. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, what surprises him about the front door landing?
4. How does Gordon Way, founder of WayForward Technologies, flesh out his numerous business ideas?
5. In Chapter 2, why is the Electric Monk completely still as he sits atop his horse?
6. Why does Richard dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
7. Explain what happens after Gordon's ghost arrives at his cottage.
8. Explain how Dirk toys with Richard after spotting him breaking into an apartment.
9. What happens when Gordon Way gets out of his car to check his trunk?
10. By the end of the first chapter, what appears to have happened to the tower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the prominent ghosts in this story, namely, Gordon Way's ghost and the ancient alien ghost. What frustrations do they share? What is each ghost's primary goal or mission? How do their intents differ? What vital role does each ghost play in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships in this story are complicated. Analyze the complexities and nuances of the following relationships:
1. Richard and Susan.
2. Dirk and Reg.
3. The Electric Monk and his horse.
Essay Topic 3
The Electric Monk is a quirky character and a key literary device. Explain who and what the Electric Monk is. Then, explain how he helps create and advance the book's plot.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)