|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Richard scans Susan Way's answering machine tape in search of his own message?
2. In this novel, what starts life on primordial Earth?
3. As the Electric Monk looks across a vast valley, he begins to imagine that he'll find a door here leading to where?
4. How is Gordon Way related to Susan, the cellist?
5. In Chapter 7, when Gordon Way stops to fill his car with petrol, what else does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk Gently get kicked out of college?
2. What does Susan decide to do in Chapter 3 after her boyfriend fails to show up?
3. How does Richard explain to himself the vision he gets of Gordon Way standing in the middle of the road?
4. Describe the range of emotions Susan experiences in Chapter 3.
5. Why does Richard dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
6. Describe similarities and differences between WayForward Technologies I and II.
7. What is an Electric Monk?
8. What does Gordon Way do on the last day of his life?
9. Describe the mysterious tower the author writes about as the book opens.
10. What did Richard do before working for WayForward Technologies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the prominent ghosts in this story, namely, Gordon Way's ghost and the ancient alien ghost. What frustrations do they share? What is each ghost's primary goal or mission? How do their intents differ? What vital role does each ghost play in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships in this story are complicated. Analyze the complexities and nuances of the following relationships:
1. Richard and Susan.
2. Dirk and Reg.
3. The Electric Monk and his horse.
Essay Topic 3
How does the desolate opening scene change when it is revisited near the end of the book as Reg, Dirk, and Richard time travel? What aspects remain the same? What circumstances and situations create a different outcome the second time around?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)