|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Gordon Way drives his car and leaves a lengthy phone message for Susan, what does he hear?
2. When Richard calls L'Esprit d'Escalier, what does he find out?
3. In Chapter 7, when Gordon Way stops to fill his car with petrol, what else does he do?
4. As the Electric Monk's belief in a door in the valley solidifies into the notion that the Door is The Way, what happens?
5. How is Gordon Way related to Susan, the cellist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Within the context of breaking into Susan's apartment, explain why Richard appears to be someone who makes poor choices.
2. Why does Richard dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
3. How does Richard locate Dirk Gently's detective agency?
4. Explain what happens after Gordon's ghost arrives at his cottage.
5. How does Richard discover that his boss, Gordon, has been murdered?
6. Why is the Electric Monk confused after killing Gordon?
7. How does the author utilize foreshadowing with the character Gordon Way?
8. What types of phone conversations does Dirk have at his detective agency?
9. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, what surprises him about the front door landing?
10. When Richard asks one of Reg's neighbors about the horse, what response does he get?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the following characters provide welcome comic relief at various points in the story:
1. The Electric Monk.
2. Richard the successful programmer.
3. Professor Urban Chronotis.
Essay Topic 2
How does the desolate opening scene change when it is revisited near the end of the book as Reg, Dirk, and Richard time travel? What aspects remain the same? What circumstances and situations create a different outcome the second time around?
Essay Topic 3
Is Professor Urban Chronotis, commonly known as Reg, an absent-minded professor, a genius, or a little of both? Support your answer with passages from the book.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)