|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dirk is arrested and thrown out of college for:
2. In Chapter 3, why is Susan Way angry with her boyfriend?
3. Even though he's a ghost, Gordon grows tired of walking down a deserted road and wonders if he might be able to do what?
4. Thinking about the figure in his trunk, a ghostly Gordon wonders if it really was wearing what?
5. What happens after the Electric Monk and his horse walk through a small wooden door in the valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard discover that his boss, Gordon, has been murdered?
2. Explain how Dirk and Richard feel about ghosts.
3. Explain why Gordon is upset after he dies.
4. As Chapter 4 opens, two men are walking towards a dinner on campus honoring Samuel T. Coleridge. Who are these two men?
5. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
6. How does the author utilize foreshadowing with the character Gordon Way?
7. Why does Richard dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
8. By the end of the first chapter, what appears to have happened to the tower?
9. Dirk Gently doesn't appear in earnest until about a third of the way into the story. Is he the main character, or is someone else the main character of the story?
10. What belief system does the Electric Monk subscribe to after he starts doubting that the valley before him is pink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cite three examples from the book where the author uses foreshadowing to alert the reader of events to come. Why is foreshadowing such an important storytelling tool for Douglas Adams? How does it enhance his writing style?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dirk Gently's interactions and conversations with his clients. Why are they angry with him? How does he justify his charges? Is he a good detective, or is he taking advantage of people? Support your answers with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In this book, the paranormal is normal. Cite three instances where a paranormal activity is treated like a perfectly normal occurrence.
This section contains 1,649 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)