|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the roaming alien ghost who is driven mad with guilt and loneliness want?
2. What does Richard do after taking the tape out of Susan Way's answering machine?
3. When he was living, what did the alien ghost driven to madness hope to accomplish on Earth?
4. As a light rain falls on primordial Earth, what is stuck as a river of mud flows past it?
5. The author notes that even though a rider may sit on a horse all day long and not think about the creature, the one being sat upon:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Susan decide to do in Chapter 3 after her boyfriend fails to show up?
2. How does Richard discover that his boss, Gordon, has been murdered?
3. Why is the Electric Monk confused after killing Gordon?
4. Why does Richard dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
5. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, what surprises him about the front door landing?
6. Describe the range of emotions Susan experiences in Chapter 3.
7. Describe the mysterious tower the author writes about as the book opens.
8. Explain how Dirk toys with Richard after spotting him breaking into an apartment.
9. Explain why Gordon is upset after he dies.
10. What belief system does the Electric Monk subscribe to after he starts doubting that the valley before him is pink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Professor Urban Chronotis, commonly known as Reg, an absent-minded professor, a genius, or a little of both? Support your answer with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the following characters provide welcome comic relief at various points in the story:
1. The Electric Monk.
2. Richard the successful programmer.
3. Professor Urban Chronotis.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the reasons that Reg chooses to time travel with his time machine. How does Dirk feel about the professor's reasons? How does the professor contradict himself when he says that he doesn't affect the past? At what point does the professor realize that he's been time traveling irresponsibly?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)