|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Michael Wenton-Weakes' father?
2. What does Kate Anselm, a programmer, tell Richard when she calls him as he's hunting for Dirk Gently's phone number?
3. With whom does Richard MacDuff walk to a dinner in Chapter 4?
4. At the end of Chapter 17, what happens as the horse relishes its newfound freedom?
5. In Chapter 3, Susan Way tells Michael to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an Electric Monk?
2. How does Richard locate Dirk Gently's detective agency?
3. In Chapter 2, why is the Electric Monk completely still as he sits atop his horse?
4. What does Gordon Way do on the last day of his life?
5. Within the context of breaking into Susan's apartment, explain why Richard appears to be someone who makes poor choices.
6. Explain why Gordon is upset after he dies.
7. Why does Richard dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
8. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, what surprises him about the front door landing?
9. Describe the mysterious tower the author writes about as the book opens.
10. How does Richard discover that his boss, Gordon, has been murdered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the seemingly unconnected pieces of the author's big puzzle come together near the end. Describe three key pieces of the puzzle that lead the main characters to realize that the human race is in danger if the alien ghost is allowed to carry out his plans.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the prominent ghosts in this story, namely, Gordon Way's ghost and the ancient alien ghost. What frustrations do they share? What is each ghost's primary goal or mission? How do their intents differ? What vital role does each ghost play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Dirk and Richard regard ghosts differently, with one being more accepting and the other more skeptical. Using examples from the book, compare and contrast how these two friends regard the concept of ghosts.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)