|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Coleridge dinner finally ends, where does Richard MacDuff go?
2. When Reg prepares tea for Richard, he ends up spilling it all over the floor. What causes him to do this?
3. After a dead Gordon decides to try to get to his cabin, what does he notice about his body?
4. After Richard apologizes to Susan and she vents some of her anger, she tells him she has to work that weekend and:
5. The Electric Monk has taken Gordon's body back to his cottage as a sacred duty, but he doesn't understand why Gordon didn't get back up the way:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an Electric Monk?
2. How does Richard locate Dirk Gently's detective agency?
3. When Susan enters her apartment and finds Richard there, what does she do?
4. When Richard asks one of Reg's neighbors about the horse, what response does he get?
5. Explain how Dirk toys with Richard after spotting him breaking into an apartment.
6. In Chapter 2, why is the Electric Monk completely still as he sits atop his horse?
7. Why does Richard dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
8. Why can't Richard bring Susan to the French restaurant, L'Esprit d'Escalier?
9. After forgetting to take Susan to the Coleridge dinner, how does Richard make things worse with her?
10. How does the author utilize foreshadowing with the character Gordon Way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this book, the paranormal is normal. Cite three instances where a paranormal activity is treated like a perfectly normal occurrence.
Essay Topic 2
Irony is a tool the author uses extensively in this book. List three instances where irony is used in situations involving one of the following characters:
Gordon, Richard, and Reg.
Essay Topic 3
The ancient alien ghost unsuccessfully tries to gain control over the poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Richard, and Reg. The ghost does succeed in fully possessing Michael. What enables the ghost to possess him completely? What similarities do Michael and the ghost share?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)