|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dirk offer Richard his services as a detective?
2. As he searches for a door in the valley, the Electric Monk is temporarily distracted by a what?
3. At the dinner in Chapter 4, why does Sarah pass around a pot she found in Greece?
4. When Richard wakes up at the start of Chapter 16, he decides to make it up to Susan by doing what?
5. Even though he's a ghost, Gordon grows tired of walking down a deserted road and wonders if he might be able to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why fellow students liked to wine and dine Dirk Gently.
2. What is an Electric Monk?
3. Describe similarities and differences between WayForward Technologies I and II.
4. What happens when Gordon Way gets out of his car to check his trunk?
5. What does Gordon Way do on the last day of his life?
6. Why does Dirk Gently get kicked out of college?
7. Explain what happens after Gordon's ghost arrives at his cottage.
8. Describe the range of emotions Susan experiences in Chapter 3.
9. How does Gordon Way, founder of WayForward Technologies, flesh out his numerous business ideas?
10. How does Richard explain to himself the vision he gets of Gordon Way standing in the middle of the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this book, the paranormal is normal. Cite three instances where a paranormal activity is treated like a perfectly normal occurrence.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons that Reg chooses to time travel with his time machine. How does Dirk feel about the professor's reasons? How does the professor contradict himself when he says that he doesn't affect the past? At what point does the professor realize that he's been time traveling irresponsibly?
Essay Topic 3
How does the desolate opening scene change when it is revisited near the end of the book as Reg, Dirk, and Richard time travel? What aspects remain the same? What circumstances and situations create a different outcome the second time around?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)