|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Gordon Way drives his car and leaves a lengthy phone message for Susan, what does he hear?
2. As the Electric Monk looks across a vast valley, he begins to imagine that he'll find a door here leading to where?
3. In Chapter 4, Richard MacDuff attends a dinner held in honor of whom?
4. When Richard calls L'Esprit d'Escalier, what does he find out?
5. How is Gordon Way related to Susan, the cellist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Dirk toys with Richard after spotting him breaking into an apartment.
2. What belief system does the Electric Monk subscribe to after he starts doubting that the valley before him is pink?
3. What happens when Gordon Way gets out of his car to check his trunk?
4. What does Gordon Way do on the last day of his life?
5. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, what surprises him about the front door landing?
6. Why does Richard dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
7. What does Richard see the first time that he goes to Dirk's agency?
8. When Richard asks one of Reg's neighbors about the horse, what response does he get?
9. How does Richard discover that his boss, Gordon, has been murdered?
10. Within the context of breaking into Susan's apartment, explain why Richard appears to be someone who makes poor choices.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the desolate opening scene change when it is revisited near the end of the book as Reg, Dirk, and Richard time travel? What aspects remain the same? What circumstances and situations create a different outcome the second time around?
Essay Topic 2
Props and objects are strongly associated with specific characters. Explain the association between the following characters and their props and the importance of each object:
1. Susan and her cello.
2. Reg and his abacus.
3. Richard and his sofa.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dirk Gently's interactions and conversations with his clients. Why are they angry with him? How does he justify his charges? Is he a good detective, or is he taking advantage of people? Support your answers with passages from the book.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)