|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the Electric Monk continues to stare at the presumed pinkness of the valley below him, what comes to his mind?
2. One of Dirk's roommates notices that he's reciting what while he sleeps?
3. How does Gordon Way die at the end of Chapter 7?
4. While Gordon Way drives his car and leaves a lengthy phone message for Susan, what does he hear?
5. Who founded WayForward Technologies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mysterious tower the author writes about as the book opens.
2. Why does Richard dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
3. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, what surprises him about the front door landing?
4. As Chapter 4 opens, two men are walking towards a dinner on campus honoring Samuel T. Coleridge. Who are these two men?
5. What types of phone conversations does Dirk have at his detective agency?
6. How does the author utilize foreshadowing with the character Gordon Way?
7. In Chapter 2, why is the Electric Monk completely still as he sits atop his horse?
8. How does Richard locate Dirk Gently's detective agency?
9. Why does the little girl, Sarah, pass around a pot at the Coleridge dinner?
10. Explain why Gordon is upset after he dies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dirk Gently and Richard MacDuff. What attributes define each character? What are their flaws? At what points in the story does each one get a turn being the hero?
Essay Topic 2
In this book, the paranormal is normal. Cite three instances where a paranormal activity is treated like a perfectly normal occurrence.
Essay Topic 3
The Electric Monk is a quirky character and a key literary device. Explain who and what the Electric Monk is. Then, explain how he helps create and advance the book's plot.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)