|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, when Gordon Way stops to fill his car with petrol, what else does he do?
2. At the opening of Chapter 4, Richard MacDuff is walking across the campus of St. Cedd's with whom?
3. What does Richard do right after Reg explains there's a horse in the upstairs bathroom?
4. Why does Richard MacDuff dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
5. When Richard calls L'Esprit d'Escalier, what does he find out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Electric Monk confused after killing Gordon?
2. Why does the little girl, Sarah, pass around a pot at the Coleridge dinner?
3. Why does Richard dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
4. How does the author utilize foreshadowing with the character Gordon Way?
5. How does Reg get the salt shaker into young Sarah's old Greek pot?
6. How do Chapters 18 - 20 hint at characters being possessed by ghosts?
7. What does Michael reveal to drunken train travelers when he is possessed by an ancient alien ghost?
8. How does Richard locate Dirk Gently's detective agency?
9. Why does Richard jump into a canal?
10. Why does Dirk want Richard to ask Reg about his conjuring act?
Essay Topic 1
In this book, the paranormal is normal. Cite three instances where a paranormal activity is treated like a perfectly normal occurrence.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dirk Gently and Richard MacDuff. What attributes define each character? What are their flaws? At what points in the story does each one get a turn being the hero?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the following characters provide welcome comic relief at various points in the story:
1. The Electric Monk.
2. Richard the successful programmer.
3. Professor Urban Chronotis.
This section contains 1,615 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)