|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, Dirk Gently wants to help the roaming alien ghost using what?
2. Urban Chronotis is Regius Professor of what?
3. What is the Electric Monk?
4. Why does Richard start to fall asleep at the dinner in Chapter 6?
5. At the start of Chapter 13, someone scans the sky with his binoculars and spots something that appears to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the range of emotions Susan experiences in Chapter 3.
2. How does Richard explain to himself the vision he gets of Gordon Way standing in the middle of the road?
3. Why does the little girl, Sarah, pass around a pot at the Coleridge dinner?
4. When Richard asks one of Reg's neighbors about the horse, what response does he get?
5. What is an Electric Monk?
6. Why can't Richard bring Susan to the French restaurant, L'Esprit d'Escalier?
7. What belief system does the Electric Monk subscribe to after he starts doubting that the valley before him is pink?
8. Why does Dirk Gently get kicked out of college?
9. How does Richard discover that his boss, Gordon, has been murdered?
10. Explain why fellow students liked to wine and dine Dirk Gently.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the reasons that Reg chooses to time travel with his time machine. How does Dirk feel about the professor's reasons? How does the professor contradict himself when he says that he doesn't affect the past? At what point does the professor realize that he's been time traveling irresponsibly?
Essay Topic 2
Is Professor Urban Chronotis, commonly known as Reg, an absent-minded professor, a genius, or a little of both? Support your answer with passages from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does the desolate opening scene change when it is revisited near the end of the book as Reg, Dirk, and Richard time travel? What aspects remain the same? What circumstances and situations create a different outcome the second time around?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)