|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thinking about the figure in his trunk, a ghostly Gordon wonders if it really was wearing what?
2. With whom does Richard MacDuff walk to a dinner in Chapter 4?
3. During his finals, Dirk makes a bet to try to disprove what?
4. When Richard calls L'Esprit d'Escalier, what does he find out?
5. What does the roaming alien ghost who is driven mad with guilt and loneliness want?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why fellow students liked to wine and dine Dirk Gently.
2. Explain how Dirk toys with Richard after spotting him breaking into an apartment.
3. What does Richard see the first time that he goes to Dirk's agency?
4. By the end of the first chapter, what appears to have happened to the tower?
5. Why and how does Reg entertain Sarah, a bored little girl attending the Coleridge dinner?
6. When Susan enters her apartment and finds Richard there, what does she do?
7. Describe the mysterious tower the author writes about as the book opens.
8. How does Richard explain to himself the vision he gets of Gordon Way standing in the middle of the road?
9. What did Richard do before working for WayForward Technologies?
10. What does Gordon Way do on the last day of his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Dirk Gently save the human race from total extinction, as he claims that he does? Does he save the day by himself or with help from others? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Props and objects are strongly associated with specific characters. Explain the association between the following characters and their props and the importance of each object:
1. Susan and her cello.
2. Reg and his abacus.
3. Richard and his sofa.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the prominent ghosts in this story, namely, Gordon Way's ghost and the ancient alien ghost. What frustrations do they share? What is each ghost's primary goal or mission? How do their intents differ? What vital role does each ghost play in the story?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)