|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard calls L'Esprit d'Escalier, what does he find out?
2. When Richard sees what appears to be someone lugging a body into a field, he dismisses this as merely what?
3. When Richard returns from doing an errand, he finds Dirk on the phone defending a trip to Bermuda, claiming that while he was there he successfully did what?
4. After Michael Wenton-Weakes' father dies, who takes over the family publishing business?
5. What happens as the Electric Monk wonders what to do about Gordon, about his own missing horse, and about his belief systems?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Dirk toys with Richard after spotting him breaking into an apartment.
2. Explain what happens after Gordon's ghost arrives at his cottage.
3. How does Richard discover that his boss, Gordon, has been murdered?
4. How does Richard locate Dirk Gently's detective agency?
5. Why is the Electric Monk confused after killing Gordon?
6. Explain why fellow students liked to wine and dine Dirk Gently.
7. Describe the mysterious tower the author writes about as the book opens.
8. What did Richard do before working for WayForward Technologies?
9. Describe the range of emotions Susan experiences in Chapter 3.
10. Explain why Gordon is upset after he dies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Props and objects are strongly associated with specific characters. Explain the association between the following characters and their props and the importance of each object:
1. Susan and her cello.
2. Reg and his abacus.
3. Richard and his sofa.
Essay Topic 2
In this book, the paranormal is normal. Cite three instances where a paranormal activity is treated like a perfectly normal occurrence.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dirk Gently and Richard MacDuff. What attributes define each character? What are their flaws? At what points in the story does each one get a turn being the hero?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)