|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the Electric Monk and his horse walk through a small wooden door in the valley?
2. In Chapter 12, as a lost Richard drives down the road trying to read his maps, he's also trying to place a phone call with whom?
3. Thinking about the figure in his trunk, a ghostly Gordon wonders if it really was wearing what?
4. What is the Electric Monk?
5. At the end of Chapter 17, what happens as the horse relishes its newfound freedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard discover that his boss, Gordon, has been murdered?
2. What belief system does the Electric Monk subscribe to after he starts doubting that the valley before him is pink?
3. As a ghostly Gordon makes his way to his cottage, what does he ponder?
4. When Susan enters her apartment and finds Richard there, what does she do?
5. Why can't Richard bring Susan to the French restaurant, L'Esprit d'Escalier?
6. Why and how does Reg entertain Sarah, a bored little girl attending the Coleridge dinner?
7. How does Gordon Way, founder of WayForward Technologies, flesh out his numerous business ideas?
8. Why does the little girl, Sarah, pass around a pot at the Coleridge dinner?
9. What is an Electric Monk?
10. Describe the mysterious tower the author writes about as the book opens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Expand upon the following themes covered extensively in this book:
1. The cause and effect nature of making choices.
2. The interconnectedness of all occurrences, especially those that seem random.
Essay Topic 2
How does the desolate opening scene change when it is revisited near the end of the book as Reg, Dirk, and Richard time travel? What aspects remain the same? What circumstances and situations create a different outcome the second time around?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, questions remain as to whether or not Dirk Gently truly has psychic powers. In your opinion, does he or does he not have special psychic abilities? What other abilities does he possess (such as keen powers of observation) that might make him seem psychic to a casual observer?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)