|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to stop the alien ghost from preventing life from starting on Earth, Richard, Reg and Dirk travel forward to:
(a) Clinton's era.
(b) Coleridge's era.
(c) The day man discovers fire.
(d) The year before the dodo becomes extinct.
2. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, he realizes that he had just dreamed about what?
(a) Mud, loneliness, and strange crawling creatures.
(b) Sand, sun, and surf.
(c) Radios, mixed messages, and purple flowers.
(d) Horses, pastures, and freedom.
3. At the end of the book, when Richard hears Susan play the cello, he recognizes the music as:
(a) What was playing on the taxi's radio.
(b) What he had heard at the Coleridge dinner.
(c) What he had heard on the alien mothership.
(d) What was playing in the elevator.
4. When Michael, possessed by the alien ghost, leaves the time machine and heads toward the tower, what is he wearing?
(a) Angel wings.
(b) Space suit.
(c) Scuba gear.
(d) Red tie.
5. Richard presses Reg to explain how he got the salt shaker into the old Greek pot, and Reg replies that:
(a) He got the man who made the pot to put it in.
(b) It would take months to explain it.
(c) He hasn't the slightest idea how he did it.
(d) He mentally rearranged the atoms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Reg, Richard, and Dirk travel across time to a rain forest in Mauritius in 1676?
2. During Richard's phone conversation with Susan about Gordon's murder, he learns that the police:
3. At the end of the story, Richard is able to make reservations for dinner with Susan at a very expensive, elite restaurant that's booked three weeks in advance by doing what?
4. While Richard tries to explain to Susan who his friend Dirk Gently is, who arrives?
5. Reg explains to Richard, Dirk, and the alien ghost that the dodo would not have become extinct had he not done what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dirk manipulate the police when he gets to Richard's apartment?
2. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
3. How does Dirk use the time machine to stop Michael from following the ghost's orders on primordial Earth?
4. Why is the answering machine tape Dirk finds in Richard's apartment important?
5. Why does Dirk purchase an easy to use phone with large red push-buttons for his detective agency?
6. Why does Richard jump into a canal?
7. How does Reg behave when he takes Dirk and Richard with him back in time to a rain forest?
8. How is the alien ghost responsible for life on Earth?
9. Why has Michael brought scuba gear with him to Reg's time machine?
10. At the end of the book, how does Richard finally do right by Susan?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)