|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Richard checks where he is so that he can tell Susan by phone, he sees a black tower next to a river of mud. When he asks where they are, what is Dirk's reply?
(a) "The past."
(d) "Outer space."
2. When Detective Inspector Mason arrives at Richard's apartment, what does he order police officers to do?
(a) Check the microwave.
(b) Move the sofa.
(c) Confiscate the computers.
(d) Look under the beds.
3. Since Richard can't go to the police, Dirk decides to do what?
(a) Hypnotize Richard to learn the facts.
(b) Listen to the messages on Gordon's answering machine.
(c) Get more details from the Electronic Monk.
(d) Hide Richard in the basement.
4. When the engines of the alien spaceship were damaged upon landing, the now-ghost had sent the Electric Monk out to do what?
(a) Check the engines.
(b) Send an interdimensional signal.
(c) Bring back rock specimens.
(d) Look for life on the planet.
5. As Richard and Dirk talk with the ancient alien ghost, trying to fully understand his story, Richard comes up with the theory that perhaps ghosts:
(a) Fail to understand time.
(b) Exist like wave patterns.
(c) Need to board an interdimensional limo.
(d) Live primarily on Jupiter.
Short Answer Questions
1. After receiving the vital piece of information from Richard about a murder, Dirk realizes that the alien ghost was able to possess Michael because:
2. When Richard and Dirk visit Reg, what does Dirk say to Reg about his secret?
3. After waking up from unusual dreams, pondering the events of the night before, and realizing he has no lunch date planned, what does Michael Wenton-Weakes do?
4. After Richard comes out of hypnosis, where does Dirk take him to talk about what he learned during the session?
5. According to the alien ghost's explanation, what has been orbiting Earth undetected since the explosion that killed him and his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
2. How does the alien ghost communicate with Dirk, Richard, and Reg?
3. How does Dirk use the time machine to stop Michael from following the ghost's orders on primordial Earth?
4. How is the alien ghost responsible for life on Earth?
5. Explain why Dirk hypnotizes Richard.
6. Why does Dirk purchase an easy to use phone with large red push-buttons for his detective agency?
7. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
8. When Richard and his friends board the alien's mothership that has been orbiting Earth undetected for billions of years, what fills him with awe?
9. How do Chapters 18 - 20 hint at characters being possessed by ghosts?
10. Why does Dirk want Richard to ask Reg about his conjuring act?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)