|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dirk listens to the answering machine tape found in Richard's apartment, he realizes that:
(a) Gordon may still be alive somewhere.
(b) He might be named a suspect if he's not careful.
(c) He doesn't know what he's looking for.
(d) Richard couldn't possibly be connected to Gordon's murder.
2. Why do Reg, Richard, and Dirk travel across time to a rain forest in Mauritius in 1676?
(a) To get away from the alien ghost.
(b) To retrieve a watch Reg had left behind.
(c) To see a dodo bird.
(d) To save a type of iguana from extinction.
3. At the end of the book, when Richard hears Susan play the cello, he recognizes the music as:
(a) What was playing in the elevator.
(b) What was playing on the taxi's radio.
(c) What he had heard at the Coleridge dinner.
(d) What he had heard on the alien mothership.
4. When Richard and Dirk visit Reg, why does Dirk prompt Richard to ask about the conjuring trick?
(a) To get Richard to break the ice between them.
(b) To get Reg to confirm what Dirk already knows.
(c) Dirk is too shy to ask about it himself.
(d) Dirk wants to learn how to do this trick.
5. Reg explains to Richard, Dirk, and the alien ghost that the dodo would not have become extinct had he not done what?
(a) Moved the horse out of his bathroom.
(b) Fallen in love with Susan.
(c) Saved a prehistoric fish.
(d) Placed the salt shaker inside the old Greek pot.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Dirk saves the world, Richard asks:
2. According to the alien ghost's explanation, what has been orbiting Earth undetected since the explosion that killed him and his friends?
3. When Dirk brings up the matter of Richard's sofa, Richard is appalled, since he feels they should be talking about what instead?
4. What does Dirk do when a police officer is about to saw Richard's sofa in half?
5. The ancient alien ghost that has possessed Michael Wenton-Weakes had been driven mad by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the book, how does Richard finally do right by Susan?
2. What does Michael reveal to drunken train travelers when he is possessed by an ancient alien ghost?
3. Why has Michael brought scuba gear with him to Reg's time machine?
4. Why does Richard jump into a canal?
5. How does Dirk use the time machine to stop Michael from following the ghost's orders on primordial Earth?
6. How does the alien ghost communicate with Dirk, Richard, and Reg?
7. Susan keeps getting phone calls where all she hears is a faint wind. What are these calls about?
8. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
9. How is the alien ghost responsible for life on Earth?
10. Why does Dirk purchase an easy to use phone with large red push-buttons for his detective agency?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)