|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Reg tells his story to Richard and Dirk, he says he's so old that:
(a) He makes the chancellor look young.
(b) He doesn't remember who he is.
(c) He's seen the beginning and end of countless nations.
(d) His gray hair has turned gray twenty times over.
2. When Dirk listens to the answering machine tape found in Richard's apartment, he realizes that:
(a) Gordon may still be alive somewhere.
(b) He doesn't know what he's looking for.
(c) Richard couldn't possibly be connected to Gordon's murder.
(d) He might be named a suspect if he's not careful.
3. What does Sergeant Gilks determine after listening to the answering machine tape found in Richard's apartment?
(a) Richard's reason for wanting Gordon dead.
(b) Gordon's time of death.
(c) Dirk's connection to Gordon.
(d) The reason for Reg's reluctance to talk about Gordon.
4. At the end of the book, when Richard hears Susan play the cello, he recognizes the music as:
(a) What was playing in the elevator.
(b) What he had heard at the Coleridge dinner.
(c) What he had heard on the alien mothership.
(d) What was playing on the taxi's radio.
5. In talking to Reg, Dirk figures out that when Richard seemed hypnotized, he really was:
(a) Pretending to be hypnotized.
(b) Possessed by a ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Dirk saves the whole human race from extinction, what does he crave?
2. When the engines of the alien spaceship were damaged upon landing, the now-ghost had sent the Electric Monk out to do what?
3. The ancient alien ghost tells Richard that upon reading his article about music, he was what?
4. When Richard and Dirk go to Reg's home, Richard learns that:
5. Dirk figures out that the alien ghost wants to wipe out humanity and:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dirk want Richard to ask Reg about his conjuring act?
2. Why does Dirk purchase an easy to use phone with large red push-buttons for his detective agency?
3. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
4. Why do Dirk and Reg seem so familiar with each other?
5. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
6. How does Reg behave when he takes Dirk and Richard with him back in time to a rain forest?
7. How is the alien ghost responsible for life on Earth?
8. How does Dirk manipulate the police when he gets to Richard's apartment?
9. How does Dirk use the time machine to stop Michael from following the ghost's orders on primordial Earth?
10. When Richard and his friends board the alien's mothership that has been orbiting Earth undetected for billions of years, what fills him with awe?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)