|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, when Gordon Way stops to fill his car with petrol, what else does he do?
(a) Buys a pack of batteries.
(b) Finishes a phone call.
(c) Talks to an unusual cat.
(d) Overfills his tires with air.
2. After Dirk finally stops talking on the phone and welcomes Richard to his agency, he indicates that the light from the window works, gravity works, but with everything else, they simply have to:
(a) Take their chances.
(b) Pay the bill.
(c) Hope for the best possible outcome.
(d) Close their eyes and imagine it.
3. The author opens Chapter 7 indicating that Gordon Way is not aware that this day is to be what?
(a) Filled with angry phone calls.
(b) The shortest of the year.
(c) The last of his life.
(d) Filled with unusual weather.
4. When Richard wakes up at the start of Chapter 16, he decides to make it up to Susan by doing what?
(a) Taking her on an expensive cruise.
(b) Taking her to an expensive restaurant.
(c) Buying her expensive jewelry.
(d) Buying her an expensive computer.
5. After finding the address for Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and going there, Richard arrives in time to see Dirk's unpaid secretary do what?
(a) Steal Dirk's stapler.
(b) Storm out.
(c) Shatter Dirk's tea cup.
(d) Throw files out the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard goes out to meet Dirk at their designated meeting spot after talking with Susan, he discovers that:
2. Even though he's a ghost, Gordon grows tired of walking down a deserted road and wonders if he might be able to do what?
3. One of Dirk's roommates notices that he's reciting what while he sleeps?
4. As the Electric Monk looks across a vast valley, he begins to imagine that he'll find a door here leading to where?
5. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, he notices that:
Short Essay Questions
1. After forgetting to take Susan to the Coleridge dinner, how does Richard make things worse with her?
2. Explain why fellow students liked to wine and dine Dirk Gently.
3. Why can't Richard bring Susan to the French restaurant, L'Esprit d'Escalier?
4. How does Richard locate Dirk Gently's detective agency?
5. Dirk Gently doesn't appear in earnest until about a third of the way into the story. Is he the main character, or is someone else the main character of the story?
6. Why does the little girl, Sarah, pass around a pot at the Coleridge dinner?
7. What happens when Gordon Way gets out of his car to check his trunk?
8. What does Gordon Way do on the last day of his life?
9. Explain why Gordon is upset after he dies.
10. Explain how Dirk toys with Richard after spotting him breaking into an apartment.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)