|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Susan listens to her answering machine tape and hears Gordon's rambling message, what does she do?
(a) Cuts the message short and gives the tape to Richard.
(b) Wonders who switched tapes on her.
(c) Laughs at her brother's crazy antics.
(d) Panics because Gordon seems to be in trouble.
2. In Chapter 3, Susan Way tells Michael to do what?
(a) Pick up an olive pizza.
(b) Never call again.
(c) Meet her at the Tangiers Club.
(d) Leave a package at the Brazil Club.
3. When a dead Gordon realizes that the phone line is still open and connected to his sister's answering machine, what does he do?
(a) Taps "SOS" in code.
(b) Tries to talk into the phone.
(c) Tosses the phone over the cliff.
(d) Hangs up so the killer doesn't find her.
4. At the start of Chapter 3, what is Susan Way waiting for?
(a) Phone call or doorbell.
(b) Sign from above.
(c) Pizza delivery.
(d) Pay raise or promotion.
5. While Gordon Way drives his car and leaves a lengthy phone message for Susan, what does he hear?
(a) An explosion to the west.
(b) A huge jet flying overhead.
(c) A noise coming from the car trunk.
(d) A loud siren all around him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, why is Susan Way angry with her boyfriend?
2. When he was living, what did the alien ghost driven to madness hope to accomplish on Earth?
3. In Chapter 12, after Richard swerves wildly, slams on the brakes, and skids to a stop, he finds himself on the road:
4. At the opening of Chapter 4, Richard MacDuff is walking across the campus of St. Cedd's with whom?
5. As the Electric Monk's belief in a door in the valley solidifies into the notion that the Door is The Way, what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dirk Gently doesn't appear in earnest until about a third of the way into the story. Is he the main character, or is someone else the main character of the story?
2. How does Gordon Way, founder of WayForward Technologies, flesh out his numerous business ideas?
3. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, what surprises him about the front door landing?
4. How does Richard explain to himself the vision he gets of Gordon Way standing in the middle of the road?
5. Why does Richard dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
6. What did Richard do before working for WayForward Technologies?
7. What does Gordon Way do on the last day of his life?
8. Explain why fellow students liked to wine and dine Dirk Gently.
9. Within the context of breaking into Susan's apartment, explain why Richard appears to be someone who makes poor choices.
10. Explain what happens after Gordon's ghost arrives at his cottage.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)