|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Richard talks with Reg in Chapter 8, he indicates that he's in a relationship with whom?
(a) Susan Way.
(b) Kate Anselm.
(c) Padma Singh.
(d) Kubla Kahn.
2. When Richard calls Susan to apologize for forgetting to bring her to the college dinner, he suggests they do what?
(a) Get some fish and chips and watch a movie.
(b) Get away to someplace sunny for a weekend or week.
(c) Forget the whole thing happened and start over.
(d) Split up for a while and think things over.
3. Who had told Richard about L'Esprit d'Escalier?
4. When Susan listens to her answering machine tape and hears Gordon's rambling message, what does she do?
(a) Wonders who switched tapes on her.
(b) Laughs at her brother's crazy antics.
(c) Panics because Gordon seems to be in trouble.
(d) Cuts the message short and gives the tape to Richard.
5. After Richard apologizes to Susan and she vents some of her anger, she tells him she has to work that weekend and:
(a) Tickles him.
(b) Kicks him out.
(c) Forgives him.
(d) Tells him to bring a pizza.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, who breaks into someone's apartment?
2. Who is Michael Wenton-Weakes' father?
3. As the Electric Monk continues to stare at the presumed pinkness of the valley below him, what comes to his mind?
4. In this novel, what starts life on primordial Earth?
5. After Dirk Gently calls Richard and scolds him for going to the window and allowing himself to be photographed, he tells Richard to meet him where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard see the first time that he goes to Dirk's agency?
2. What does Gordon Way do on the last day of his life?
3. Dirk Gently doesn't appear in earnest until about a third of the way into the story. Is he the main character, or is someone else the main character of the story?
4. When Susan enters her apartment and finds Richard there, what does she do?
5. Describe the range of emotions Susan experiences in Chapter 3.
6. What does Susan decide to do in Chapter 3 after her boyfriend fails to show up?
7. How does Gordon Way, founder of WayForward Technologies, flesh out his numerous business ideas?
8. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, what surprises him about the front door landing?
9. How does the author utilize foreshadowing with the character Gordon Way?
10. Describe the mysterious tower the author writes about as the book opens.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)