|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dirk offer Richard his services as a detective?
(a) Police suspect Richard of stealing a horse.
(b) Police suspect Richard of being involved in Gordon's murder.
(c) Richard is afraid Susan is seeing Michael behind his back.
(d) Richard's cat has been missing since Easter.
2. Michael Wenton-Weakes spends much of his time brooding over the loss of what?
(a) His girlfriend.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His magazine.
(d) His mansion.
3. What does Kate Anselm, a programmer, tell Richard when she calls him as he's hunting for Dirk Gently's phone number?
(a) She can't finish her work.
(b) She can't reach Gordon.
(c) She can't reach Susan.
(d) She can't finish her dinner.
4. When Susan listens to her answering machine tape and hears Gordon's rambling message, what does she do?
(a) Panics because Gordon seems to be in trouble.
(b) Laughs at her brother's crazy antics.
(c) Wonders who switched tapes on her.
(d) Cuts the message short and gives the tape to Richard.
5. When he was living, what did the alien ghost driven to madness hope to accomplish on Earth?
(a) Open an etiquette school.
(b) Meet the smartest human on the planet.
(c) Establish a utopian paradise.
(d) Change the value of pi.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Electric Monk sits perfectly still atop his horse in a valley on a foreign world, how does everything looks to him?
2. What is the Electric Monk?
3. Once Dirk and Richard realize what the alien ghost wants, they set out to do what?
4. In Chapter 3, Susan Way tells Michael to do what?
5. After Richard sees the horse in Reg's bathroom, he leaves and knocks on a neighbor's door. Who answers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard see the first time that he goes to Dirk's agency?
2. When Susan enters her apartment and finds Richard there, what does she do?
3. By the end of the first chapter, what appears to have happened to the tower?
4. What belief system does the Electric Monk subscribe to after he starts doubting that the valley before him is pink?
5. Explain what happens after Gordon's ghost arrives at his cottage.
6. How does Richard discover that his boss, Gordon, has been murdered?
7. After forgetting to take Susan to the Coleridge dinner, how does Richard make things worse with her?
8. What is an Electric Monk?
9. As a ghostly Gordon makes his way to his cottage, what does he ponder?
10. When Richard asks one of Reg's neighbors about the horse, what response does he get?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)