|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author notes that even though a rider may sit on a horse all day long and not think about the creature, the one being sat upon:
(a) Would like the roles to be reversed.
(b) Can't help but form an opinion of the one sitting upon it.
(c) Wants a break now and again.
(d) Thinks the one sitting upon it is selfish and stubborn.
2. The Electric Monk has taken Gordon's body back to his cottage as a sacred duty, but he doesn't understand why Gordon didn't get back up the way:
(a) People get up after sleeping.
(b) People do on TV in his world.
(c) His horse gets up after being shot.
(d) Electric Monks always get back up.
3. Reg explains to Richard that his position was created by King George the Third to answer what?
(a) Which came first, chickens or ostriches.
(b) How much tea one person can drink.
(c) Where to go for emergencies.
(d) Why things happen in sequence.
4. When Richard first arrives at Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, he overhears Dirk explain to someone at the other end of the phone line that his job involves doing what?
(a) Tracking down and reprogramming Electronic Monks.
(b) Finding a pattern in the holistic interconnectedness of all things.
(c) Guessing why horses mysteriously end up in bathrooms.
(d) Comparing fingerprints and footprints to find similarities between cases.
5. As he searches for a door in the valley, the Electric Monk is temporarily distracted by a what?
(a) Blue horse.
(b) Giant scorpion.
(c) Flying saucer.
(d) Rock painting.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard returns from doing an errand, he finds Dirk on the phone defending a trip to Bermuda, claiming that while he was there he successfully did what?
2. How does Gordon Way die at the end of Chapter 7?
3. In Chapter 12, after Richard swerves wildly, slams on the brakes, and skids to a stop, he finds himself on the road:
4. At the end of Chapter 17, what happens as the horse relishes its newfound freedom?
5. Once Dirk and Richard realize what the alien ghost wants, they set out to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dirk Gently doesn't appear in earnest until about a third of the way into the story. Is he the main character, or is someone else the main character of the story?
2. What is an Electric Monk?
3. Describe the range of emotions Susan experiences in Chapter 3.
4. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, what surprises him about the front door landing?
5. As Chapter 4 opens, two men are walking towards a dinner on campus honoring Samuel T. Coleridge. Who are these two men?
6. What belief system does the Electric Monk subscribe to after he starts doubting that the valley before him is pink?
7. What types of phone conversations does Dirk have at his detective agency?
8. After forgetting to take Susan to the Coleridge dinner, how does Richard make things worse with her?
9. Why is the Electric Monk confused after killing Gordon?
10. Why does the little girl, Sarah, pass around a pot at the Coleridge dinner?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)