|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Richard MacDuff attends a dinner held in honor of whom?
(a) The Electric Monk.
(b) King George the Third.
(c) Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
(d) Dirk Cjelli.
2. With whom does Richard MacDuff walk to a dinner in Chapter 4?
(a) His half-brother.
(b) His former college tutor.
(c) His former employer.
(d) His friend's ex-girlfriend.
3. Why does the founder of WayForward Technologies like to call people and leave long, rambling messages on their answering machines?
(a) To keep employees on their toes.
(b) To get them to answer their phones.
(c) To keep from feeling lonely.
(d) To think ideas through.
4. In Chapter 8, what does Richard MacDuff say has been stuck in his hallway for three weeks?
(a) Washing machine.
(d) Queen bed.
5. As a light rain falls on primordial Earth, what is stuck as a river of mud flows past it?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of Chapter 3, what is Susan Way waiting for?
2. When Richard returns from doing an errand, he finds Dirk on the phone defending a trip to Bermuda, claiming that while he was there he successfully did what?
3. What is the Electric Monk?
4. After Michael Wenton-Weakes' father dies, who takes over the family publishing business?
5. Why does Richard start to fall asleep at the dinner in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, what surprises him about the front door landing?
2. What does Susan decide to do in Chapter 3 after her boyfriend fails to show up?
3. How does the author utilize foreshadowing with the character Gordon Way?
4. Why does the little girl, Sarah, pass around a pot at the Coleridge dinner?
5. After forgetting to take Susan to the Coleridge dinner, how does Richard make things worse with her?
6. Explain what happens after Gordon's ghost arrives at his cottage.
7. When Richard asks one of Reg's neighbors about the horse, what response does he get?
8. How does Richard explain to himself the vision he gets of Gordon Way standing in the middle of the road?
9. Why is the Electric Monk confused after killing Gordon?
10. Within the context of breaking into Susan's apartment, explain why Richard appears to be someone who makes poor choices.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)