|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Richard accuses Dirk of doing what?
(a) Incorrectly reprogramming Electric Monks.
(b) Changing his name to avoid paying taxes.
(c) Running a scam and stealing old ladies' money.
(d) Killing Gordon and stealing the body.
2. In Chapter 12, after Richard goes home and pours himself a brandy, the author says there are three reasons he starts to shake, including what?
(a) The apparition of Gordon.
(b) The appearance of the time machine.
(c) The look in the monk's eyes.
(d) The UFO.
3. When Gordon Way leaves a message on Susan's answering machine, what does he request of her?
(a) To get Reg to stop doing his conspicuous tricks.
(b) To get Michael to meet with him the following day.
(c) To get Dirk on a case immediately.
(d) To get Richard working in earnest on Anthem.
4. When Richard sees what appears to be someone lugging a body into a field, he dismisses this as merely what?
(a) A farmer carrying a sackful of something nutritious.
(b) An actor practicing his improv.
(c) A man dressed as Santa bringing home presents.
(d) A landscaper carrying a bag of clippings.
5. What happens to the glowing object that is stuck on primordial Earth?
(c) Time travels.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Michael Wenton-Weakes blame for stealing his magazine?
2. While Gordon Way drives his car and leaves a lengthy phone message for Susan, what does he hear?
3. After Gordon dies and steps out of his body, what does he find surprising?
4. What happens when Richard scans Susan Way's answering machine tape in search of his own message?
5. The author notes that even though a rider may sit on a horse all day long and not think about the creature, the one being sat upon:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard explain to himself the vision he gets of Gordon Way standing in the middle of the road?
2. Why is the Electric Monk confused after killing Gordon?
3. When Richard asks one of Reg's neighbors about the horse, what response does he get?
4. How does the author utilize foreshadowing with the character Gordon Way?
5. Dirk Gently doesn't appear in earnest until about a third of the way into the story. Is he the main character, or is someone else the main character of the story?
6. Describe the range of emotions Susan experiences in Chapter 3.
7. How does Richard discover that his boss, Gordon, has been murdered?
8. What does Richard see the first time that he goes to Dirk's agency?
9. As a ghostly Gordon makes his way to his cottage, what does he ponder?
10. After forgetting to take Susan to the Coleridge dinner, how does Richard make things worse with her?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)