|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Richard writes Anthem, a financial spreadsheet that translates business financial numbers, into what?
(a) Plain English.
(c) Health predictions.
2. After Gordon's ghost arrives at his seven-bedroom cottage, he faints upon discovering what in the kitchen?
(a) Susan's cello.
(b) Richard's tape recorder.
(c) His missing cat.
(d) His missing body.
3. The Electric Monk has taken Gordon's body back to his cottage as a sacred duty, but he doesn't understand why Gordon didn't get back up the way:
(a) His horse gets up after being shot.
(b) People do on TV in his world.
(c) Electric Monks always get back up.
(d) People get up after sleeping.
4. When a dead Gordon realizes that the phone line is still open and connected to his sister's answering machine, what does he do?
(a) Tries to talk into the phone.
(b) Taps "SOS" in code.
(c) Tosses the phone over the cliff.
(d) Hangs up so the killer doesn't find her.
5. In Chapter 3, Susan Way tells Michael to do what?
(a) Pick up an olive pizza.
(b) Never call again.
(c) Meet her at the Tangiers Club.
(d) Leave a package at the Brazil Club.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gordon Way leaves a message on Susan's answering machine, what does he request of her?
2. How does Reg amuse a little girl named Sarah who is bored at the dinner party in Chapter 4?
3. When Susan listens to her answering machine tape and hears Gordon's rambling message, what does she do?
4. After Richard has tampered with Susan's answering machine, she walks in with whom?
5. What does Kate Anselm, a programmer, tell Richard when she calls him as he's hunting for Dirk Gently's phone number?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Reg give for resisting the temptation to use his time machine?
2. What does Gordon Way do on the last day of his life?
3. How does the alien ghost communicate with Dirk, Richard, and Reg?
4. After forgetting to take Susan to the Coleridge dinner, how does Richard make things worse with her?
5. Summarize how the alien ghost ends up on Earth.
6. What belief system does the Electric Monk subscribe to after he starts doubting that the valley before him is pink?
7. How does the author utilize foreshadowing with the character Gordon Way?
8. Explain how the book's opening scene is repeated near the end of the book, but with a twist.
9. Explain how Dirk and Richard feel about ghosts.
10. When Susan enters her apartment and finds Richard there, what does she do?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)