|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sergeant Gilks determine after listening to the answering machine tape found in Richard's apartment?
(a) The reason for Reg's reluctance to talk about Gordon.
(b) Dirk's connection to Gordon.
(c) Gordon's time of death.
(d) Richard's reason for wanting Gordon dead.
2. When Reg tells his story to Richard and Dirk, he says he's so old that:
(a) He doesn't remember who he is.
(b) He's seen the beginning and end of countless nations.
(c) His gray hair has turned gray twenty times over.
(d) He makes the chancellor look young.
3. What is the point of the blue squiggles Dirk writes on a piece of paper?
(a) He wants to recreate the energy diagrams of water.
(b) He is trying to solve the problem of the conjuring trick.
(c) He wants to see if a hypnotized Richard can read them.
(d) He is trying to communicate with the ghost.
4. Why does Richard call Susan after Dirk gives him the details of Gordon's death a second time?
(a) Susan and Richard are supposed to be on a date.
(b) Richard fears for Susan's life.
(c) Richard doesn't believe Dirk.
(d) Dirk tells Richard that Susan is looking for him.
5. At the end of the book, when Richard hears Susan play the cello, he recognizes the music as:
(a) What was playing in the elevator.
(b) What he had heard on the alien mothership.
(c) What he had heard at the Coleridge dinner.
(d) What was playing on the taxi's radio.
6. During Richard's phone conversation with Susan about Gordon's murder, he learns that the police:
(a) Now suspect Dirk.
(b) Are ruling it a suicide.
(c) No longer suspect him.
(d) Have a long list of suspects.
7. After receiving the vital piece of information from Richard about a murder, Dirk realizes that the alien ghost was able to possess Michael because:
(a) Both had the intent to kill.
(b) Both missed Michael's magazine.
(c) Knew Gordon well.
(d) Knew Ross well.
8. After Reg talks to Richard and Dirk and explains the whole business about the horse, the ghost, the face powder, and quantum jumps, he mentions that:
(a) The ghost has left.
(b) Quantum jumps add years to one's life.
(c) The horse didn't want to leave.
(d) The powder gave him a rash.
9. The ancient alien ghost that has possessed Michael Wenton-Weakes had been driven mad by what?
(a) The knowledge of what he'd done after the accident.
(b) The annoying lectures he heard while haunting the campus.
(c) The distinction between green and black tea.
(d) The rising price of petrol.
10. At Richard's place, Detective Inspector Mason is accompanied by Sergeant Gilks, who is:
(a) Michael's half brother.
(b) The officer who found Richard on the road.
(c) The person who got Dirk kicked out of college.
(d) Gordon's former college roommate.
11. After his phone conversation with Susan, Richard rushes over to Dirk and Reg to reveal what vital piece of information?
(a) Michael murdered Ross.
(b) Michael murdered Gordon.
(c) Ross murdered Gordon.
(d) Gordon murdered Jonathan.
12. Who sits next to three drunk men on a train that is full of party revelers from a wedding?
13. How long has Reg been at Cambridge?
(a) Two thousand years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Two hundred years.
14. In order to stop the alien ghost from preventing life from starting on Earth, Richard, Reg and Dirk travel forward to:
(a) The day man discovers fire.
(b) Clinton's era.
(c) The year before the dodo becomes extinct.
(d) Coleridge's era.
15. When Richard goes to Susan's place to comfort her after her brother's death, he finds her doing what?
(a) Playing the cello.
(b) Looking at photo albums.
(c) Staring out the window.
(d) Talking on the phone.
Short Answer Questions
1. With Michael now possessed by a ghost speaking through him, Dirk, Richard, and Reg learn what?
2. When Dirk questions Richard about information revealed under hypnosis, he first asks about what?
3. Richard presses Reg to explain how he got the salt shaker into the old Greek pot, and Reg replies that:
4. When the time machine leaves the rain forest and heads back to Cambridge, a knock on the door reveals Michael standing there with what?
5. When Michael, possessed by the alien ghost, leaves the time machine and heads toward the tower, what is he wearing?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)