|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Richard and Dirk visit Reg, why does Dirk prompt Richard to ask about the conjuring trick?
(a) Dirk wants to learn how to do this trick.
(b) To get Richard to break the ice between them.
(c) To get Reg to confirm what Dirk already knows.
(d) Dirk is too shy to ask about it himself.
2. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, he realizes that he had just dreamed about what?
(a) Radios, mixed messages, and purple flowers.
(b) Horses, pastures, and freedom.
(c) Sand, sun, and surf.
(d) Mud, loneliness, and strange crawling creatures.
3. When Richard visits Susan to comfort her after Gordon's death, the phone rings; Richard answers it and hears what?
(a) Loud electric guitar.
(b) Rhythmic clicking.
(c) Cats meowing.
(d) Faint windy noise.
4. As Richard and Dirk talk with the ancient alien ghost, trying to fully understand his story, Richard comes up with the theory that perhaps ghosts:
(a) Need to board an interdimensional limo.
(b) Live primarily on Jupiter.
(c) Fail to understand time.
(d) Exist like wave patterns.
5. The ancient alien ghost tells Richard that upon reading his article about music, he was what?
(a) Reminded of his mother.
(b) Deeply disturbed.
(c) Deeply moved.
(d) Reminded of his favorite song.
6. Dirk insists on talking about Richard's sofa with him because he firmly believes that:
(a) All conversations lead to answers.
(b) All things are fundamentally interconnected.
(c) Someone has hidden a message inside the sofa.
(d) The sofa is an alien in disguise.
7. After Reg talks to Richard and Dirk and explains the whole business about the horse, the ghost, the face powder, and quantum jumps, he mentions that:
(a) The horse didn't want to leave.
(b) Quantum jumps add years to one's life.
(c) The ghost has left.
(d) The powder gave him a rash.
8. Where does Reg go to get face powder to conceal his tan?
(a) The campus theater.
(b) Another planet.
(c) A parallel universe.
(d) The local pharmacy.
9. Who was trying to use Dirk's agency telephone to make a call to Susan?
(c) Gordon's ghost.
(d) The alient ghost.
10. What is the point of the blue squiggles Dirk writes on a piece of paper?
(a) He wants to recreate the energy diagrams of water.
(b) He is trying to communicate with the ghost.
(c) He is trying to solve the problem of the conjuring trick.
(d) He wants to see if a hypnotized Richard can read them.
11. At the end of the book, when Richard hears Susan play the cello, he recognizes the music as:
(a) What he had heard on the alien mothership.
(b) What he had heard at the Coleridge dinner.
(c) What was playing in the elevator.
(d) What was playing on the taxi's radio.
12. Reg's explanation of his magic tricks reveals that he has been:
(a) Time traveling.
(b) Abducted by aliens.
(d) Possessed by a ghost.
13. When Richard goes to Susan's place to comfort her after her brother's death, he finds her doing what?
(a) Talking on the phone.
(b) Staring out the window.
(c) Looking at photo albums.
(d) Playing the cello.
14. After Dirk saves the whole human race from extinction, what does he crave?
(a) A slice of apple pie.
(b) A pizza.
(c) An orange.
(d) A cup of tea.
15. What does Dirk do when a police officer is about to saw Richard's sofa in half?
(a) Orders him to guard the sofa instead.
(b) Faints in order to cause a distraction.
(c) Sends the officer back through time.
(d) Transforms the saw into a butter knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. After receiving the vital piece of information from Richard about a murder, Dirk realizes that the alien ghost was able to possess Michael because:
2. When Richard and Dirk visit Reg, what does Dirk say to Reg about his secret?
3. Reg explains to Richard, Dirk, and the alien ghost that the dodo would not have become extinct had he not done what?
4. When Michael, possessed by the alien ghost, leaves the time machine and heads toward the tower, what is he wearing?
5. After seeking advice from Nicola, who is ill, about a cello piece with challenging fingering, Susan gets a call. She answers it and hears what?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)