|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three magic words has the Electric Monk been saying to people after listening to their troubles?
(a) "I believe you."
(b) "All is well."
(c) "You are right."
(d) "Time to go."
2. When the time machine leaves the rain forest and heads back to Cambridge, a knock on the door reveals Michael standing there with what?
(a) A tray of sushi.
(b) A wheelbarrow.
(c) Large bowling pins.
(d) Scuba equipment.
3. After Richard comes out of hypnosis, where does Dirk take him to talk about what he learned during the session?
(a) The pool.
(b) The canal.
(c) A tea shop.
(d) A pizza place.
4. While Dirk, Reg, and Richard try to figure out what's behind all the strange recent events, who shows up at the gates of St. Cedd's carrying a large nylon bag?
5. After Dirk saves the whole human race from extinction, what does he crave?
(a) A slice of apple pie.
(b) A pizza.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) An orange.
6. At the end of the book, Dirk sends one more bill to Mrs. Sauskind; what is this bill for?
(a) Rescuing cat for the last time, no charge.
(b) Rescuing the hundredth cat in his career, priceless.
(c) Saving planet from alien takeover, priceless.
(d) Saving human race from total extinction, no charge.
7. While Richard tries to explain to Susan who his friend Dirk Gently is, who arrives?
(c) Sergeant Gilks.
8. After Gordon's death, how does Dirk manage to get into Richard's apartment?
(a) Shipping himself in a package.
(b) Fast-talking his way past the police.
(c) Hypnotizing the security guard.
(d) Using his invisibility shield.
9. At the end of the story, Richard is able to make reservations for dinner with Susan at a very expensive, elite restaurant that's booked three weeks in advance by doing what?
(a) Going back in time.
(b) Getting the ghost to scare the regulars out.
(c) Having Dirk tip the host.
(d) Claiming he took part in saving the world.
10. When Detective Inspector Mason arrives at Richard's apartment, what does he order police officers to do?
(a) Confiscate the computers.
(b) Look under the beds.
(c) Move the sofa.
(d) Check the microwave.
11. The ancient alien ghost explains that he and his party landed on Earth for what?
(a) To hide from their planet's police.
(b) To replenish mineral supplies.
(c) To look for food.
(d) To start a new colony.
12. After waking up from unusual dreams, pondering the events of the night before, and realizing he has no lunch date planned, what does Michael Wenton-Weakes do?
(a) Takes out his cello and starts playing a sad tune.
(b) Calls Susan and asks if she's still seeing Richard.
(c) Goes upstairs and listens to music.
(d) Writes a poem about Gordon Way.
13. Dirk hears Gordon's ghost on the answering machine tape found in Richard's apartment. What does the ghost want?
(a) To leave a message on Richard's answering machine.
(b) To leave a message for Reg's associate.
(c) To have someone search his car.
(d) To have someone search his cottage.
14. What haunted the ancient alien ghost as he haunted Earth?
(a) Memories of his fellows who had died.
(b) Knowledge of his charming home planet.
(c) Ghosts of deceased presidents.
(d) Voices from television airwaves.
15. After Reg discusses the matter of getting the salt shaker into the old Greek pot, Dirk explains that:
(a) The police are still questioning Susan.
(b) They have no time to waste.
(c) Richard doesn't yet know the secret.
(d) He once got a teacup stuck in a jar.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard and Dirk go to Reg's home, Richard learns that:
2. When Dirk listens to the answering machine tape found in Richard's apartment, he realizes that:
3. Dirk insists on talking about Richard's sofa with him because he firmly believes that:
4. During Richard's phone conversation with Susan about Gordon's murder, he learns that the police:
5. The world that the ancient alien came from is what?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)