|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dirk do when a police officer is about to saw Richard's sofa in half?
(a) Transforms the saw into a butter knife.
(b) Orders him to guard the sofa instead.
(c) Faints in order to cause a distraction.
(d) Sends the officer back through time.
2. Why does Dirk get an unusual phone with big red push-buttons?
(a) So that a ghost can use it easily.
(b) It was on sale.
(c) To make his agency look more reputable.
(d) He had thrown his previous phone out the window.
3. At the end of the book, when Richard hears Susan play the cello, he recognizes the music as:
(a) What was playing on the taxi's radio.
(b) What was playing in the elevator.
(c) What he had heard at the Coleridge dinner.
(d) What he had heard on the alien mothership.
4. The world that the ancient alien came from is what?
(a) Violent and troubled.
(b) Peaceful and calm.
(c) Beautiful and blue.
(d) Small and independent.
5. Why did the alien's ship that landed on Earth several billion years ago explode?
(a) Lightning struck the ship.
(b) The engines weren't ready.
(c) The Electric Monk pushed the wrong button.
(d) Nobody knows.
6. In talking to Reg, Dirk figures out that when Richard seemed hypnotized, he really was:
(a) Possessed by a ghost.
(c) Pretending to be hypnotized.
7. While Dirk, Reg, and Richard try to figure out what's behind all the strange recent events, who shows up at the gates of St. Cedd's carrying a large nylon bag?
8. After receiving the vital piece of information from Richard about a murder, Dirk realizes that the alien ghost was able to possess Michael because:
(a) Both had the intent to kill.
(b) Knew Gordon well.
(c) Knew Ross well.
(d) Both missed Michael's magazine.
9. In Chapter 28, Reg explains that for several months he hadn't been using the time machine because:
(a) He didn't want to arouse suspicion.
(b) He needed to fix a broken circuit.
(c) He felt something had been trying to force him to use it.
(d) He was afraid to go back and face his nemesis.
10. The ancient alien ghost explains that he and his party landed on Earth for what?
(a) To hide from their planet's police.
(b) To replenish mineral supplies.
(c) To start a new colony.
(d) To look for food.
11. Who was trying to use Dirk's agency telephone to make a call to Susan?
(a) The alient ghost.
(d) Gordon's ghost.
12. Why do Reg, Richard, and Dirk travel across time to a rain forest in Mauritius in 1676?
(a) To see a dodo bird.
(b) To save a type of iguana from extinction.
(c) To get away from the alien ghost.
(d) To retrieve a watch Reg had left behind.
13. At Richard's place, Detective Inspector Mason is accompanied by Sergeant Gilks, who is:
(a) The person who got Dirk kicked out of college.
(b) The officer who found Richard on the road.
(c) Gordon's former college roommate.
(d) Michael's half brother.
14. Reg replies "You're standing in it" in response to Dirk's question of where is the what?
(a) Time machine.
(b) Haunted room.
(c) Alien spaceship.
(d) Potions lab.
15. When Richard visits Susan to comfort her after Gordon's death, the phone rings; Richard answers it and hears what?
(a) Loud electric guitar.
(b) Faint windy noise.
(c) Rhythmic clicking.
(d) Cats meowing.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard and Dirk visit Reg, what does Dirk say to Reg about his secret?
2. The ghost explains that he was able to enter Samuel Taylor Coleridge's mind when he was what?
3. What does the ghost say about possessing Michael?
4. When Dirk brings up the matter of Richard's sofa, Richard is appalled, since he feels they should be talking about what instead?
5. Dirk tells Richard that under hypnosis, he was able to remember details he's not even aware of consciously, including a full description of what?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)