|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, he realizes that he had just dreamed about what?
(a) Radios, mixed messages, and purple flowers.
(b) Horses, pastures, and freedom.
(c) Mud, loneliness, and strange crawling creatures.
(d) Sand, sun, and surf.
2. Reg's explanation of his magic tricks reveals that he has been:
(a) Time traveling.
(b) Possessed by a ghost.
(c) Abducted by aliens.
3. Dirk insists on talking about Richard's sofa with him because he firmly believes that:
(a) Someone has hidden a message inside the sofa.
(b) All conversations lead to answers.
(c) The sofa is an alien in disguise.
(d) All things are fundamentally interconnected.
4. After his phone conversation with Susan, Richard rushes over to Dirk and Reg to reveal what vital piece of information?
(a) Michael murdered Ross.
(b) Michael murdered Gordon.
(c) Ross murdered Gordon.
(d) Gordon murdered Jonathan.
5. After Gordon's death, how does Dirk manage to get into Richard's apartment?
(a) Shipping himself in a package.
(b) Hypnotizing the security guard.
(c) Using his invisibility shield.
(d) Fast-talking his way past the police.
6. How long has Reg been at Cambridge?
(a) Two years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Two hundred years.
(d) Two thousand years.
7. At the end of the book, when Richard hears Susan play the cello, he recognizes the music as:
(a) What he had heard at the Coleridge dinner.
(b) What he had heard on the alien mothership.
(c) What was playing on the taxi's radio.
(d) What was playing in the elevator.
8. Reg explains to Richard, Dirk, and the alien ghost that the dodo would not have become extinct had he not done what?
(a) Fallen in love with Susan.
(b) Moved the horse out of his bathroom.
(c) Placed the salt shaker inside the old Greek pot.
(d) Saved a prehistoric fish.
9. At Richard's place, Detective Inspector Mason is accompanied by Sergeant Gilks, who is:
(a) The person who got Dirk kicked out of college.
(b) Gordon's former college roommate.
(c) Michael's half brother.
(d) The officer who found Richard on the road.
10. When the engines of the alien spaceship were damaged upon landing, the now-ghost had sent the Electric Monk out to do what?
(a) Look for life on the planet.
(b) Send an interdimensional signal.
(c) Check the engines.
(d) Bring back rock specimens.
11. Dirk tells Richard that under hypnosis, he was able to remember details he's not even aware of consciously, including a full description of what?
(a) Reg's horse.
(b) Sarah's dress.
(c) Susan's apartment.
(d) Gordon's car.
12. What is the point of the blue squiggles Dirk writes on a piece of paper?
(a) He wants to recreate the energy diagrams of water.
(b) He wants to see if a hypnotized Richard can read them.
(c) He is trying to solve the problem of the conjuring trick.
(d) He is trying to communicate with the ghost.
13. The individual sitting with drunk men on the train full of party revelers is haunted by an ancient ghost who says that:
(a) His group came to Earth to destroy it.
(b) His group came to Earth to build a paradise.
(c) His group tried to reach another galaxy but ended up on Earth instead.
(d) His group tried to reach Venus but ended up on Earth instead.
14. After receiving the vital piece of information from Richard about a murder, Dirk realizes that the alien ghost was able to possess Michael because:
(a) Knew Gordon well.
(b) Knew Ross well.
(c) Both missed Michael's magazine.
(d) Both had the intent to kill.
15. When Richard and Dirk visit Reg, why does Dirk prompt Richard to ask about the conjuring trick?
(a) To get Reg to confirm what Dirk already knows.
(b) Dirk is too shy to ask about it himself.
(c) To get Richard to break the ice between them.
(d) Dirk wants to learn how to do this trick.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 28, Reg explains that for several months he hadn't been using the time machine because:
2. While Richard tries to explain to Susan who his friend Dirk Gently is, who arrives?
3. When Richard and Dirk go to Reg's home, Richard learns that:
4. At the end of the book, Richard has a phone conversation with Reg during which he learns that:
5. When Richard goes to Susan's place to comfort her after her brother's death, he finds her doing what?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)