|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Dirk saves the world, Richard asks:
(a) To see a psychiatrist.
(b) For a ride to the university.
(c) To go home.
(d) For a detailed explanation.
2. While Richard tries to explain to Susan who his friend Dirk Gently is, who arrives?
(a) Sergeant Gilks.
3. When Dirk questions Richard about information revealed under hypnosis, he first asks about what?
(a) Reg's magic tricks.
(b) Susan's cello performances.
(c) Michael's former magazine.
(d) Richard's computer program.
4. Who sits next to three drunk men on a train that is full of party revelers from a wedding?
5. Why does Dirk get an unusual phone with big red push-buttons?
(a) To make his agency look more reputable.
(b) So that a ghost can use it easily.
(c) It was on sale.
(d) He had thrown his previous phone out the window.
6. Why did the alien's ship that landed on Earth several billion years ago explode?
(a) Lightning struck the ship.
(b) Nobody knows.
(c) The Electric Monk pushed the wrong button.
(d) The engines weren't ready.
7. What is Reg's main reason for traveling through time?
(a) To hide when necessary.
(b) To watch shows he has missed.
(c) To correct the past.
(d) To make his magic tricks possible.
8. When the engines of the alien spaceship were damaged upon landing, the now-ghost had sent the Electric Monk out to do what?
(a) Check the engines.
(b) Send an interdimensional signal.
(c) Bring back rock specimens.
(d) Look for life on the planet.
9. Where does Reg go to get face powder to conceal his tan?
(a) Another planet.
(b) A parallel universe.
(c) The campus theater.
(d) The local pharmacy.
10. When Michael Wenton-Weakes digs into his wastebasket, he pulls out a copy of the magazine Fathom and finds what?
(a) Article written by Richard.
(b) Ad for Electronic Monks.
(c) Article about Susan.
(d) Ad for Dirk's agency.
11. Reg's resistance to the poltergeist results in what?
(a) Supernatural activity.
(b) A twisted knot in the time-space continuum.
(c) A broken, unusable time machine.
(d) The college board wanting to fire him.
12. At the end of the book, Richard has a phone conversation with Reg during which he learns that:
(a) Reg took the Electric Monk and his horse back to their home.
(b) Reg is no longer in love with Susan.
(c) Dirk took the time machine into the future.
(d) Gordon managed to leave Reg a message before vanishing.
13. After Reg talks to Richard and Dirk and explains the whole business about the horse, the ghost, the face powder, and quantum jumps, he mentions that:
(a) The ghost has left.
(b) The powder gave him a rash.
(c) The horse didn't want to leave.
(d) Quantum jumps add years to one's life.
14. When Detective Inspector Mason arrives at Richard's apartment, what does he order police officers to do?
(a) Look under the beds.
(b) Confiscate the computers.
(c) Check the microwave.
(d) Move the sofa.
15. When Michael, possessed by the alien ghost, leaves the time machine and heads toward the tower, what is he wearing?
(a) Angel wings.
(b) Space suit.
(c) Scuba gear.
(d) Red tie.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Dirk, Reg, and Richard try to figure out what's behind all the strange recent events, who shows up at the gates of St. Cedd's carrying a large nylon bag?
2. During Richard's phone conversation with Susan about Gordon's murder, he learns that the police:
3. Why do Reg, Richard, and Dirk travel across time to a rain forest in Mauritius in 1676?
4. What three magic words has the Electric Monk been saying to people after listening to their troubles?
5. In Chapter 28, Reg explains that for several months he hadn't been using the time machine because:
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)