|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Richard and Dirk visit Reg, what does Dirk say to Reg about his secret?
(a) The whole world already knows it.
(b) Reg could get arrested if the secret gets out.
(c) Dirk already knows what it is.
(d) It's impossible to figure out.
2. The ghost explains that he was able to enter Samuel Taylor Coleridge's mind when he was what?
(a) On laudanum.
(b) In love.
(c) A toddler.
(d) An old man.
3. When Richard visits Susan to comfort her after Gordon's death, the phone rings; Richard answers it and hears what?
(a) Loud electric guitar.
(b) Cats meowing.
(c) Faint windy noise.
(d) Rhythmic clicking.
4. When Michael, possessed by the alien ghost, leaves the time machine and heads toward the tower, what is he wearing?
(a) Red tie.
(b) Space suit.
(c) Scuba gear.
(d) Angel wings.
5. The ancient alien ghost explains that he came from where?
6. While Dirk, Reg, and Richard try to figure out what's behind all the strange recent events, who shows up at the gates of St. Cedd's carrying a large nylon bag?
7. In order to stop the alien ghost from preventing life from starting on Earth, Richard, Reg and Dirk travel forward to:
(a) Clinton's era.
(b) The year before the dodo becomes extinct.
(c) The day man discovers fire.
(d) Coleridge's era.
8. Who sits next to three drunk men on a train that is full of party revelers from a wedding?
9. When Detective Inspector Mason arrives at Richard's apartment, what does he order police officers to do?
(a) Check the microwave.
(b) Move the sofa.
(c) Look under the beds.
(d) Confiscate the computers.
10. After seeking advice from Nicola, who is ill, about a cello piece with challenging fingering, Susan gets a call. She answers it and hears what?
(a) Distant cry of wind.
(b) High-pitched screeching sound.
(c) Disturbing laughter.
(d) Desperate crying.
11. The ancient alien ghost that has possessed Michael Wenton-Weakes had been driven mad by what?
(a) The annoying lectures he heard while haunting the campus.
(b) The distinction between green and black tea.
(c) The rising price of petrol.
(d) The knowledge of what he'd done after the accident.
12. At the end of the book, Richard has a phone conversation with Reg during which he learns that:
(a) Reg is no longer in love with Susan.
(b) Reg took the Electric Monk and his horse back to their home.
(c) Gordon managed to leave Reg a message before vanishing.
(d) Dirk took the time machine into the future.
13. When Dirk brings up the matter of Richard's sofa, Richard is appalled, since he feels they should be talking about what instead?
(a) Gordon's death.
(b) Susan's new boyfriend.
(d) Time travel.
14. According to the alien ghost's explanation, what has been orbiting Earth undetected since the explosion that killed him and his friends?
(a) The mothership.
(b) A giant beach ball.
(c) A feeble ghost of his exploded ship.
(d) The Electric Monk's ship.
15. In Chapter 28, Reg explains that for several months he hadn't been using the time machine because:
(a) He didn't want to arouse suspicion.
(b) He needed to fix a broken circuit.
(c) He felt something had been trying to force him to use it.
(d) He was afraid to go back and face his nemesis.
Short Answer Questions
1. With Michael now possessed by a ghost speaking through him, Dirk, Richard, and Reg learn what?
2. When Reg tells his story to Richard and Dirk, he says he's so old that:
3. The individual sitting with drunk men on the train full of party revelers is haunted by an ancient ghost who says that:
4. The ancient alien ghost explains that he and his party landed on Earth for what?
5. When Dirk listens to the answering machine tape found in Richard's apartment, he realizes that:
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)