|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After seeking advice from Nicola, who is ill, about a cello piece with challenging fingering, Susan gets a call. She answers it and hears what?
(a) Desperate crying.
(b) High-pitched screeching sound.
(c) Distant cry of wind.
(d) Disturbing laughter.
2. Reg replies "You're standing in it" in response to Dirk's question of where is the what?
(a) Potions lab.
(b) Alien spaceship.
(c) Time machine.
(d) Haunted room.
3. Dirk figures out that the alien ghost wants to wipe out humanity and:
(a) Start over and build his own paradise.
(b) Haunt a planet free of annoying people.
(c) Start over with dolphins as the dominant species.
(d) Let trees take over the world.
4. What is Reg's main reason for traveling through time?
(a) To make his magic tricks possible.
(b) To hide when necessary.
(c) To correct the past.
(d) To watch shows he has missed.
5. At the end of the story, Richard is able to make reservations for dinner with Susan at a very expensive, elite restaurant that's booked three weeks in advance by doing what?
(a) Claiming he took part in saving the world.
(b) Getting the ghost to scare the regulars out.
(c) Going back in time.
(d) Having Dirk tip the host.
6. When Michael, possessed by the alien ghost, leaves the time machine and heads toward the tower, what is he wearing?
(a) Red tie.
(b) Space suit.
(c) Scuba gear.
(d) Angel wings.
7. Dirk insists on talking about Richard's sofa with him because he firmly believes that:
(a) All things are fundamentally interconnected.
(b) All conversations lead to answers.
(c) The sofa is an alien in disguise.
(d) Someone has hidden a message inside the sofa.
8. When the time machine leaves the rain forest and heads back to Cambridge, a knock on the door reveals Michael standing there with what?
(a) Scuba equipment.
(b) Large bowling pins.
(c) A wheelbarrow.
(d) A tray of sushi.
9. When Richard goes to Susan's place to comfort her after her brother's death, he finds her doing what?
(a) Talking on the phone.
(b) Looking at photo albums.
(c) Staring out the window.
(d) Playing the cello.
10. Dirk tells Richard that under hypnosis, he was able to remember details he's not even aware of consciously, including a full description of what?
(a) Susan's apartment.
(b) Reg's horse.
(c) Sarah's dress.
(d) Gordon's car.
11. As Richard and Dirk talk with the ancient alien ghost, trying to fully understand his story, Richard comes up with the theory that perhaps ghosts:
(a) Fail to understand time.
(b) Exist like wave patterns.
(c) Live primarily on Jupiter.
(d) Need to board an interdimensional limo.
12. Reg's resistance to the poltergeist results in what?
(a) A twisted knot in the time-space continuum.
(b) A broken, unusable time machine.
(c) The college board wanting to fire him.
(d) Supernatural activity.
13. When Richard and Dirk go to Reg's home, Richard learns that:
(a) Reg has completely lost his mind.
(b) Dirk already knows Reg.
(c) Susan has paid Reg a visit.
(d) The Electric Monk has paid Reg a visit.
14. What haunted the ancient alien ghost as he haunted Earth?
(a) Knowledge of his charming home planet.
(b) Ghosts of deceased presidents.
(c) Memories of his fellows who had died.
(d) Voices from television airwaves.
15. After Dirk saves the whole human race from extinction, what does he crave?
(a) A slice of apple pie.
(b) A pizza.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) An orange.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Michael Wenton-Weakes wakes up in a strange mood, he realizes that he had just dreamed about what?
2. What does the ghost say about possessing Michael?
3. In talking to Reg, Dirk figures out that when Richard seemed hypnotized, he really was:
4. Why does Richard call Susan after Dirk gives him the details of Gordon's death a second time?
5. After waking up from unusual dreams, pondering the events of the night before, and realizing he has no lunch date planned, what does Michael Wenton-Weakes do?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)