|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since Richard can't go to the police, Dirk decides to do what?
(a) Listen to the messages on Gordon's answering machine.
(b) Hide Richard in the basement.
(c) Hypnotize Richard to learn the facts.
(d) Get more details from the Electronic Monk.
2. When Michael Wenton-Weakes digs into his wastebasket, he pulls out a copy of the magazine Fathom and finds what?
(a) Ad for Electronic Monks.
(b) Article written by Richard.
(c) Ad for Dirk's agency.
(d) Article about Susan.
3. At the end of the book, when Richard hears Susan play the cello, he recognizes the music as:
(a) What was playing in the elevator.
(b) What he had heard at the Coleridge dinner.
(c) What was playing on the taxi's radio.
(d) What he had heard on the alien mothership.
4. What does Sergeant Gilks determine after listening to the answering machine tape found in Richard's apartment?
(a) Dirk's connection to Gordon.
(b) The reason for Reg's reluctance to talk about Gordon.
(c) Gordon's time of death.
(d) Richard's reason for wanting Gordon dead.
5. What is Reg's main reason for traveling through time?
(a) To correct the past.
(b) To hide when necessary.
(c) To watch shows he has missed.
(d) To make his magic tricks possible.
6. When Richard and Dirk visit Reg, why does Dirk prompt Richard to ask about the conjuring trick?
(a) To get Richard to break the ice between them.
(b) To get Reg to confirm what Dirk already knows.
(c) Dirk wants to learn how to do this trick.
(d) Dirk is too shy to ask about it himself.
7. During Richard's phone conversation with Susan about Gordon's murder, he learns that the police:
(a) No longer suspect him.
(b) Now suspect Dirk.
(c) Have a long list of suspects.
(d) Are ruling it a suicide.
8. Reg's resistance to the poltergeist results in what?
(a) A broken, unusable time machine.
(b) Supernatural activity.
(c) The college board wanting to fire him.
(d) A twisted knot in the time-space continuum.
9. The ancient alien ghost tells Richard that upon reading his article about music, he was what?
(a) Reminded of his favorite song.
(b) Reminded of his mother.
(c) Deeply moved.
(d) Deeply disturbed.
10. At Richard's place, Detective Inspector Mason is accompanied by Sergeant Gilks, who is:
(a) The person who got Dirk kicked out of college.
(b) Gordon's former college roommate.
(c) Michael's half brother.
(d) The officer who found Richard on the road.
11. The ancient alien ghost that has possessed Michael Wenton-Weakes had been driven mad by what?
(a) The rising price of petrol.
(b) The annoying lectures he heard while haunting the campus.
(c) The distinction between green and black tea.
(d) The knowledge of what he'd done after the accident.
12. Richard presses Reg to explain how he got the salt shaker into the old Greek pot, and Reg replies that:
(a) He hasn't the slightest idea how he did it.
(b) He mentally rearranged the atoms.
(c) It would take months to explain it.
(d) He got the man who made the pot to put it in.
13. After receiving the vital piece of information from Richard about a murder, Dirk realizes that the alien ghost was able to possess Michael because:
(a) Both missed Michael's magazine.
(b) Knew Ross well.
(c) Knew Gordon well.
(d) Both had the intent to kill.
14. At the end of the book, Richard has a phone conversation with Reg during which he learns that:
(a) Reg took the Electric Monk and his horse back to their home.
(b) Dirk took the time machine into the future.
(c) Reg is no longer in love with Susan.
(d) Gordon managed to leave Reg a message before vanishing.
15. When Detective Inspector Mason arrives at Richard's apartment, what does he order police officers to do?
(a) Look under the beds.
(b) Check the microwave.
(c) Move the sofa.
(d) Confiscate the computers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sits next to three drunk men on a train that is full of party revelers from a wedding?
2. Why does Richard call Susan after Dirk gives him the details of Gordon's death a second time?
3. At the end of the story, Richard is able to make reservations for dinner with Susan at a very expensive, elite restaurant that's booked three weeks in advance by doing what?
4. The ancient alien ghost explains that he came from where?
5. Reg replies "You're standing in it" in response to Dirk's question of where is the what?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)