|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dirk is arrested and thrown out of college for:
(a) Cheating during finals.
(b) Being too smart.
(c) Stealing food.
(d) Ridiculing the dean.
2. After college and after several failed jobs, Richard MacDuff has achieved great success in what field?
(a) Pool lifeguarding.
(b) Book writing.
(c) Computer programming.
(d) Voice acting.
3. As the Electric Monk sits atop his horse in a valley on a foreign world, he incorrectly believes that the valley is what?
(a) A deep river.
(b) A giant worm.
4. In college, why do fellow students start to wine and dine Dirk?
(a) They enjoy his company.
(b) To learn more about future exams.
(c) They need his help in solving crime cases.
(d) To keep him from doing well in his classes.
5. While Gordon Way drives his car and leaves a lengthy phone message for Susan, what does he hear?
(a) A huge jet flying overhead.
(b) A noise coming from the car trunk.
(c) A loud siren all around him.
(d) An explosion to the west.
6. As the Electric Monk's belief in a door in the valley solidifies into the notion that the Door is The Way, what happens?
(a) Snow starts to fall.
(b) His horse disappears.
(c) He finds the door.
(d) The world turns purple.
7. In Chapter 12, after Richard goes home and pours himself a brandy, the author says there are three reasons he starts to shake, including what?
(a) The appearance of the time machine.
(b) The apparition of Gordon.
(c) The look in the monk's eyes.
(d) The UFO.
8. Why does the founder of WayForward Technologies like to call people and leave long, rambling messages on their answering machines?
(a) To keep from feeling lonely.
(b) To think ideas through.
(c) To get them to answer their phones.
(d) To keep employees on their toes.
9. What happens after the Electric Monk and his horse walk through a small wooden door in the valley?
(a) A figure who was hiding appears and heads to the door.
(b) An angel who had been watching, flies away.
(c) The horse turns into a dog.
(d) The world turns blue.
10. Reg explains to Richard that his position was created by King George the Third to answer what?
(a) Where to go for emergencies.
(b) Which came first, chickens or ostriches.
(c) How much tea one person can drink.
(d) Why things happen in sequence.
11. When Richard sees what appears to be someone lugging a body into a field, he dismisses this as merely what?
(a) A landscaper carrying a bag of clippings.
(b) A farmer carrying a sackful of something nutritious.
(c) An actor practicing his improv.
(d) A man dressed as Santa bringing home presents.
12. What does Richard do right after Reg explains there's a horse in the upstairs bathroom?
(a) Runs away.
(b) Tackles him.
(c) Slaps him.
(d) Calls his attorney.
13. How does Gordon Way die at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Heart attack.
(b) Falling off a cliff.
(c) By shotgun.
(d) Chokes on a cracker.
14. When a dead Gordon realizes that the phone line is still open and connected to his sister's answering machine, what does he do?
(a) Tries to talk into the phone.
(b) Tosses the phone over the cliff.
(c) Taps "SOS" in code.
(d) Hangs up so the killer doesn't find her.
15. After Dirk Gently calls Richard and scolds him for going to the window and allowing himself to be photographed, he tells Richard to meet him where?
(a) Pizza place.
(d) Coffee shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Dirk's office, he and Richard talk about Schrodinger's Cat, which is what?
2. Why does Richard MacDuff dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
3. In Chapter 4, Richard MacDuff attends a dinner held in honor of whom?
4. After Gordon dies and looks at his body, what upsets him?
5. What does Richard do after taking the tape out of Susan Way's answering machine?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)