|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thinking about the figure in his trunk, a ghostly Gordon wonders if it really was wearing what?
(a) A pink tie.
(b) Ninja clothes.
(c) A hood.
(d) Pirate clothes.
2. At the end of Chapter 17, what happens as the horse relishes its newfound freedom?
(a) It meets three mysterious horses.
(b) The Electric Monk lands on its back.
(c) The Electronic Monk brings it hay.
(d) It finds itself in another small bathroom.
3. In college, why do fellow students start to wine and dine Dirk?
(a) They enjoy his company.
(b) To keep him from doing well in his classes.
(c) They need his help in solving crime cases.
(d) To learn more about future exams.
4. After finding the address for Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and going there, Richard arrives in time to see Dirk's unpaid secretary do what?
(a) Steal Dirk's stapler.
(b) Throw files out the window.
(c) Storm out.
(d) Shatter Dirk's tea cup.
5. After Richard has tampered with Susan's answering machine, she walks in with whom?
6. In Chapter 12, after Richard goes home and pours himself a brandy, the author says there are three reasons he starts to shake, including what?
(a) The apparition of Gordon.
(b) The look in the monk's eyes.
(c) The appearance of the time machine.
(d) The UFO.
7. In this novel, what starts life on primordial Earth?
(a) A sneezing astronaut.
(b) A bacterium traveling back in time.
(c) An alien's accident.
(d) A stray soda can.
8. What is the relationship between Richard MacDuff and private investigator Dirk Gently?
(a) Richard is Dirk's old college friend.
(b) Richard is Dirk's hundred-year-old mentor.
(c) Richard is Dirk's long-lost twin brother.
(d) Richard is Dirk's robot assistant.
9. As a ghostly Gordon makes his way to his cabin, he wonders what will happen to his what?
10. At the start of Chapter 3, what is Susan Way waiting for?
(a) Sign from above.
(b) Phone call or doorbell.
(c) Pizza delivery.
(d) Pay raise or promotion.
11. Why does Dirk offer Richard his services as a detective?
(a) Richard is afraid Susan is seeing Michael behind his back.
(b) Police suspect Richard of stealing a horse.
(c) Police suspect Richard of being involved in Gordon's murder.
(d) Richard's cat has been missing since Easter.
12. The author opens Chapter 7 indicating that Gordon Way is not aware that this day is to be what?
(a) Filled with unusual weather.
(b) The last of his life.
(c) Filled with angry phone calls.
(d) The shortest of the year.
13. When Susan walks into her apartment after Richard has listened to parts of her answering machine tape, what does she do?
(a) Slaps him.
(b) Hugs him.
(c) Throws her purse at him.
(d) Drops her bag of groceries.
14. The Electric Monk is:
(a) A human that looks like an alien.
(b) A machine that looks human.
(c) A human that looks like a machine.
(d) An alien that looks like a machine.
15. In Chapter 13, who breaks into someone's apartment?
Short Answer Questions
1. As the Electric Monk's belief in a door in the valley solidifies into the notion that the Door is The Way, what happens?
2. When Richard first arrives at Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, he overhears Dirk explain to someone at the other end of the phone line that his job involves doing what?
3. As a light rain falls on primordial Earth, what is stuck as a river of mud flows past it?
4. One of Dirk's roommates notices that he's reciting what while he sleeps?
5. What command does the college porter give to a "strange priest" who turns out to be the Electric Monk?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)