|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Michael Wenton-Weakes blame for stealing his magazine?
2. As the Electric Monk's belief in a door in the valley solidifies into the notion that the Door is The Way, what happens?
(a) Snow starts to fall.
(b) His horse disappears.
(c) He finds the door.
(d) The world turns purple.
3. After a dead Gordon decides to try to get to his cabin, what does he notice about his body?
(a) It's twitching.
(b) It's missing.
(c) It doesn't look like him.
(d) It has moved twenty feet.
4. While Gordon Way drives his car and leaves a lengthy phone message for Susan, what does he hear?
(a) A loud siren all around him.
(b) An explosion to the west.
(c) A huge jet flying overhead.
(d) A noise coming from the car trunk.
5. The Electric Monk has taken Gordon's body back to his cottage as a sacred duty, but he doesn't understand why Gordon didn't get back up the way:
(a) People get up after sleeping.
(b) His horse gets up after being shot.
(c) Electric Monks always get back up.
(d) People do on TV in his world.
6. Once Dirk and Richard realize what the alien ghost wants, they set out to do what?
(a) Help him.
(b) Trap him.
(c) Dissolve him.
(d) Stop him.
7. Thinking about the figure in his trunk, a ghostly Gordon wonders if it really was wearing what?
(a) Ninja clothes.
(b) A pink tie.
(c) Pirate clothes.
(d) A hood.
8. Reg explains to Richard that his position was created by King George the Third to answer what?
(a) Which came first, chickens or ostriches.
(b) Why things happen in sequence.
(c) How much tea one person can drink.
(d) Where to go for emergencies.
9. How does Reg amuse a little girl named Sarah who is bored at the dinner party in Chapter 4?
(a) Making things disappear and reappear.
(b) Juggling five fruits at the same time.
(c) Doing mathematical tricks.
(d) Singing silly songs.
10. What does the roaming alien ghost who is driven mad with guilt and loneliness want?
(a) To go back in time to correct a mistake he made.
(b) A meeting with the president of the universe.
(c) A date with the female of his dreams.
(d) To jump into another dimension where his friends are.
11. In Dirk's office, he and Richard talk about Schrodinger's Cat, which is what?
(a) A collage made of discarded computer parts.
(b) A cat cloned three hundred fifty-two times.
(c) An illustration of probabilities at the quantum level.
(d) A French restaurant Gordon frequents.
12. Michael Wenton-Weakes spends much of his time brooding over the loss of what?
(a) His mansion.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His magazine.
(d) His girlfriend.
13. When the little girl at the dinner party in Chapter 4 grows restless and kicks the table, what does her father do?
(a) Laughs loudly.
(b) Scolds her.
(c) Pretends not to notice.
(d) Orders ice cream for her.
14. Who had told Richard about L'Esprit d'Escalier?
15. When a client calls Dirk to complain about charges, Dirk writes a note to Richard asking him to go get what?
(a) His secretary.
(d) His briefcase.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, after Richard goes home and pours himself a brandy, the author says there are three reasons he starts to shake, including what?
2. What is the Electric Monk?
3. When Susan listens to her answering machine tape and hears Gordon's rambling message, what does she do?
4. Richard writes Anthem, a financial spreadsheet that translates business financial numbers, into what?
5. As the Electric Monk sits atop his horse in a valley on a foreign world, he incorrectly believes that the valley is what?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)