|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Richard has tampered with Susan's answering machine, she walks in with whom?
2. In Chapter 3, why is Susan Way angry with her boyfriend?
(a) He ate her pizza.
(b) He stood her up again.
(c) He forgot her birthday.
(d) He got the pay raise she was supposed to get.
3. While Richard drives and leaves a lengthy message of apology on Susan's answering machine, he swerves because he sees what?
(a) The specter of Gordon Way.
(b) Reg's time machine.
(c) A horse and strange-looking monk.
(d) A purple spaceship.
4. After Richard apologizes to Susan and she vents some of her anger, she tells him she has to work that weekend and:
(a) Kicks him out.
(b) Forgives him.
(c) Tickles him.
(d) Tells him to bring a pizza.
5. When the little girl at the dinner party in Chapter 4 grows restless and kicks the table, what does her father do?
(a) Laughs loudly.
(b) Orders ice cream for her.
(c) Pretends not to notice.
(d) Scolds her.
6. As a ghostly Gordon makes his way to his cabin, he wonders what will happen to his what?
7. When Susan walks into her apartment after Richard has listened to parts of her answering machine tape, what does she do?
(a) Drops her bag of groceries.
(b) Slaps him.
(c) Throws her purse at him.
(d) Hugs him.
8. As Gordon heads towards his cabin, he's disappointed that as a ghost, he can't do what?
(a) Pass through walls.
(b) Float or drift.
(c) Wail or moan.
(d) Leave this town.
9. As he searches for a door in the valley, the Electric Monk is temporarily distracted by a what?
(a) Blue horse.
(b) Rock painting.
(c) Giant scorpion.
(d) Flying saucer.
10. While Gordon Way drives his car and leaves a lengthy phone message for Susan, what does he hear?
(a) A noise coming from the car trunk.
(b) An explosion to the west.
(c) A loud siren all around him.
(d) A huge jet flying overhead.
11. When the Coleridge dinner finally ends, where does Richard MacDuff go?
(a) Dirk's small office.
(b) Reg's small apartment.
(c) Gordon's temporary office.
(d) His own temporary living quarters.
12. At the start of Chapter 13, someone scans the sky with his binoculars and spots something that appears to be what?
(a) Secret parachute landing.
(b) Amateur burglar attempt.
(c) Alien spaceship.
(d) Shooting star.
13. When Richard sees what appears to be someone lugging a body into a field, he dismisses this as merely what?
(a) An actor practicing his improv.
(b) A man dressed as Santa bringing home presents.
(c) A farmer carrying a sackful of something nutritious.
(d) A landscaper carrying a bag of clippings.
14. When a dead Gordon realizes that the phone line is still open and connected to his sister's answering machine, what does he do?
(a) Tries to talk into the phone.
(b) Tosses the phone over the cliff.
(c) Taps "SOS" in code.
(d) Hangs up so the killer doesn't find her.
15. The author opens Chapter 7 indicating that Gordon Way is not aware that this day is to be what?
(a) The last of his life.
(b) The shortest of the year.
(c) Filled with unusual weather.
(d) Filled with angry phone calls.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Dirk Gently calls Richard and scolds him for going to the window and allowing himself to be photographed, he tells Richard to meet him where?
2. After Gordon's ghost arrives at his seven-bedroom cottage, he faints upon discovering what in the kitchen?
3. In Chapter 12, after Richard swerves wildly, slams on the brakes, and skids to a stop, he finds himself on the road:
4. In Chapter 3, Susan Way tells Michael to do what?
5. After Michael Wenton-Weakes' father dies, who takes over the family publishing business?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)