|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Electric Monk sits perfectly still atop his horse in a valley on a foreign world, how does everything looks to him?
2. As a light rain falls on primordial Earth, what is stuck as a river of mud flows past it?
3. After Richard has tampered with Susan's answering machine, she walks in with whom?
4. How is Gordon Way related to Susan, the cellist?
5. What does Kate Anselm, a programmer, tell Richard when she calls him as he's hunting for Dirk Gently's phone number?
(a) She can't reach Susan.
(b) She can't reach Gordon.
(c) She can't finish her work.
(d) She can't finish her dinner.
6. Who had told Richard about L'Esprit d'Escalier?
7. What is the relationship between Richard MacDuff and private investigator Dirk Gently?
(a) Richard is Dirk's robot assistant.
(b) Richard is Dirk's old college friend.
(c) Richard is Dirk's hundred-year-old mentor.
(d) Richard is Dirk's long-lost twin brother.
8. While Richard drives and leaves a lengthy message of apology on Susan's answering machine, he swerves because he sees what?
(a) A horse and strange-looking monk.
(b) A purple spaceship.
(c) Reg's time machine.
(d) The specter of Gordon Way.
9. Gordon's ghost wakes up from his fainting spell by the sound of what?
(a) A mouse gnawing on bread crumbs.
(b) His radio alarm blaring.
(c) A knock on the door.
(d) His gas cooker exploding.
10. What does Richard do after taking the tape out of Susan Way's answering machine?
(a) Puts it in his pocket.
(b) Puts it back in.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Throws it out the window.
11. In Chapter 12, as a lost Richard drives down the road trying to read his maps, he's also trying to place a phone call with whom?
12. When Reg prepares tea for Richard, he ends up spilling it all over the floor. What causes him to do this?
(a) His hands fell asleep.
(c) He's startled by a noise.
(d) Time warp.
13. As the Electric Monk's belief in a door in the valley solidifies into the notion that the Door is The Way, what happens?
(a) The world turns purple.
(b) Snow starts to fall.
(c) His horse disappears.
(d) He finds the door.
14. Why does the founder of WayForward Technologies like to call people and leave long, rambling messages on their answering machines?
(a) To keep from feeling lonely.
(b) To think ideas through.
(c) To get them to answer their phones.
(d) To keep employees on their toes.
15. The author opens Chapter 7 indicating that Gordon Way is not aware that this day is to be what?
(a) Filled with unusual weather.
(b) The last of his life.
(c) The shortest of the year.
(d) Filled with angry phone calls.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Dirk Gently calls Richard and scolds him for going to the window and allowing himself to be photographed, he tells Richard to meet him where?
2. As he searches for a door in the valley, the Electric Monk is temporarily distracted by a what?
3. What command does the college porter give to a "strange priest" who turns out to be the Electric Monk?
4. In Chapter 3, Susan Way tells Michael to do what?
5. Why does Richard start to fall asleep at the dinner in Chapter 6?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)