|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a client calls Dirk to complain about charges, Dirk writes a note to Richard asking him to go get what?
(b) His secretary.
(d) His briefcase.
2. The author notes that even though a rider may sit on a horse all day long and not think about the creature, the one being sat upon:
(a) Thinks the one sitting upon it is selfish and stubborn.
(b) Wants a break now and again.
(c) Would like the roles to be reversed.
(d) Can't help but form an opinion of the one sitting upon it.
3. What command does the college porter give to a "strange priest" who turns out to be the Electric Monk?
(a) Shove off.
(b) Get lost.
(c) Go fly a kite.
(d) Shoot off.
4. After Gordon dies and steps out of his body, what does he find surprising?
(a) He can fly.
(b) He's still conscious.
(c) People can see him.
(d) His car is intact.
5. As the Electric Monk's belief in a door in the valley solidifies into the notion that the Door is The Way, what happens?
(a) The world turns purple.
(b) He finds the door.
(c) Snow starts to fall.
(d) His horse disappears.
6. What happens when Richard scans Susan Way's answering machine tape in search of his own message?
(a) The TV turns on.
(b) The doorbell rings.
(c) The teapot whistles.
(d) The phone rings.
7. As a light rain falls on primordial Earth, what is stuck as a river of mud flows past it?
8. As the Electric Monk sits atop his horse in a valley on a foreign world, he incorrectly believes that the valley is what?
(c) A deep river.
(d) A giant worm.
9. Richard writes Anthem, a financial spreadsheet that translates business financial numbers, into what?
(a) Health predictions.
(c) Plain English.
10. As the Electric Monk continues to stare at the presumed pinkness of the valley below him, what comes to his mind?
(a) Doubt regarding its pinkness.
(b) The recollection that he hasn't eaten in months.
(c) Fear that he will never move again.
(d) The idea that pink is a pretty color.
11. What happens after the Electric Monk and his horse walk through a small wooden door in the valley?
(a) The world turns blue.
(b) An angel who had been watching, flies away.
(c) A figure who was hiding appears and heads to the door.
(d) The horse turns into a dog.
12. In Chapter 12, after Richard goes home and pours himself a brandy, the author says there are three reasons he starts to shake, including what?
(a) The look in the monk's eyes.
(b) The apparition of Gordon.
(c) The UFO.
(d) The appearance of the time machine.
13. Why does Richard start to fall asleep at the dinner in Chapter 6?
(a) He's eaten too much.
(b) A reader is reciting a poem.
(c) Harp music is playing.
(d) The professor has hypnotized him.
14. In Chapter 3, why is Susan Way angry with her boyfriend?
(a) He stood her up again.
(b) He forgot her birthday.
(c) He ate her pizza.
(d) He got the pay raise she was supposed to get.
15. When Susan walks into her apartment after Richard has listened to parts of her answering machine tape, what does she do?
(a) Hugs him.
(b) Throws her purse at him.
(c) Slaps him.
(d) Drops her bag of groceries.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gordon Way leaves a message on Susan's answering machine, what does he request of her?
2. When Richard leafs through the phone book looking for Dirk Gently's phone number, he:
3. After Richard has tampered with Susan's answering machine, she walks in with whom?
4. At first, Dirk Gently wants to help the roaming alien ghost using what?
5. While Gordon Way drives his car and leaves a lengthy phone message for Susan, what does he hear?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)