|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the opening of Chapter 4, Richard MacDuff is walking across the campus of St. Cedd's with whom?
(a) CEO Gordon Way.
(b) Detective Svlad Cjelli.
(c) Cellist Susan Way.
(d) Professor Urban Chronotis.
2. The author notes that even though a rider may sit on a horse all day long and not think about the creature, the one being sat upon:
(a) Would like the roles to be reversed.
(b) Thinks the one sitting upon it is selfish and stubborn.
(c) Can't help but form an opinion of the one sitting upon it.
(d) Wants a break now and again.
3. When Richard sees what appears to be someone lugging a body into a field, he dismisses this as merely what?
(a) A man dressed as Santa bringing home presents.
(b) An actor practicing his improv.
(c) A farmer carrying a sackful of something nutritious.
(d) A landscaper carrying a bag of clippings.
4. Reg's memory is starting to fade, but he's still good at what?
(a) Fruit juggling.
(b) Shakespeare recitations.
(c) Magic tricks.
(d) Number recall.
5. In Chapter 12, after Richard swerves wildly, slams on the brakes, and skids to a stop, he finds himself on the road:
(a) Next to a flock of sheep.
(b) Underneath a tall truck.
(c) Hovering an inch above ground.
(d) Facing the wrong way.
6. After Richard sees the horse in Reg's bathroom, he leaves and knocks on a neighbor's door. Who answers?
(a) His ex-girlfriend.
(b) His ex-boss.
(c) The little girl who kicked the table at the Coleridge dinner.
(d) The professor nobody has spoken to in years.
7. Why does Richard start to fall asleep at the dinner in Chapter 6?
(a) A reader is reciting a poem.
(b) The professor has hypnotized him.
(c) He's eaten too much.
(d) Harp music is playing.
8. After Richard apologizes to Susan and she vents some of her anger, she tells him she has to work that weekend and:
(a) Tells him to bring a pizza.
(b) Kicks him out.
(c) Forgives him.
(d) Tickles him.
9. Who is Michael Wenton-Weakes' father?
(a) Lord Magna.
(b) Count Olen.
(c) Judge Barton.
(d) Sir Rothington.
10. Gordon's ghost wakes up from his fainting spell by the sound of what?
(a) His gas cooker exploding.
(b) A mouse gnawing on bread crumbs.
(c) His radio alarm blaring.
(d) A knock on the door.
11. How does the horse regard the Electric Monk that rides it?
(a) It is tired of putting up with the rider's silly situations.
(b) It admires and respects the rider greatly.
(c) It feels it is infinitely smarter and more attractive than the rider.
(d) It is eager to follow the rider's orders.
12. The Electric Monk is:
(a) A machine that looks human.
(b) A human that looks like a machine.
(c) A human that looks like an alien.
(d) An alien that looks like a machine.
13. Why does Dirk offer Richard his services as a detective?
(a) Richard's cat has been missing since Easter.
(b) Richard is afraid Susan is seeing Michael behind his back.
(c) Police suspect Richard of stealing a horse.
(d) Police suspect Richard of being involved in Gordon's murder.
14. At the dinner in Chapter 4, why does Sarah pass around a pot she found in Greece?
(a) She's collecting money for a Greek school.
(b) She wants to know if it's worth anything.
(c) She wants someone to translate the strange writing inside.
(d) She's secretly sending a message to Richard.
15. After a dead Gordon decides to try to get to his cabin, what does he notice about his body?
(a) It doesn't look like him.
(b) It's twitching.
(c) It's missing.
(d) It has moved twenty feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. In college, why do fellow students start to wine and dine Dirk?
2. At the end of Chapter 17, what happens as the horse relishes its newfound freedom?
3. In Dirk's office, he and Richard talk about Schrodinger's Cat, which is what?
4. Michael Wenton-Weakes spends much of his time brooding over the loss of what?
5. When Richard first arrives at Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, he overhears Dirk explain to someone at the other end of the phone line that his job involves doing what?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)