|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a light rain falls on primordial Earth, what is stuck as a river of mud flows past it?
2. What happens when Richard scans Susan Way's answering machine tape in search of his own message?
(a) The TV turns on.
(b) The phone rings.
(c) The teapot whistles.
(d) The doorbell rings.
3. At the dinner in Chapter 4, why does Sarah pass around a pot she found in Greece?
(a) She's collecting money for a Greek school.
(b) She wants to know if it's worth anything.
(c) She wants someone to translate the strange writing inside.
(d) She's secretly sending a message to Richard.
4. When a dead Gordon realizes that the phone line is still open and connected to his sister's answering machine, what does he do?
(a) Hangs up so the killer doesn't find her.
(b) Taps "SOS" in code.
(c) Tosses the phone over the cliff.
(d) Tries to talk into the phone.
5. After Dirk Gently calls Richard and scolds him for going to the window and allowing himself to be photographed, he tells Richard to meet him where?
(c) Coffee shop.
(d) Pizza place.
6. How does Reg amuse a little girl named Sarah who is bored at the dinner party in Chapter 4?
(a) Singing silly songs.
(b) Juggling five fruits at the same time.
(c) Making things disappear and reappear.
(d) Doing mathematical tricks.
7. What does Richard do right after Reg explains there's a horse in the upstairs bathroom?
(a) Tackles him.
(b) Runs away.
(c) Slaps him.
(d) Calls his attorney.
8. In Chapter 12, after Richard goes home and pours himself a brandy, the author says there are three reasons he starts to shake, including what?
(a) The look in the monk's eyes.
(b) The appearance of the time machine.
(c) The apparition of Gordon.
(d) The UFO.
9. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, he notices that:
(a) There are no cars parked in front of the house.
(b) There is a pile of hay on the front porch.
(c) There are no scratch marks from the horse's hooves by the front door.
(d) There is a second identical horse standing by the front door.
10. When Richard returns from doing an errand, he finds Dirk on the phone defending a trip to Bermuda, claiming that while he was there he successfully did what?
(a) Reprogrammed thirteen Electronic Monks.
(b) Traced the interconnectedness of all things.
(c) Solved the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle.
(d) Found nineteen missing cats.
11. In Chapter 7, when Gordon Way stops to fill his car with petrol, what else does he do?
(a) Overfills his tires with air.
(b) Talks to an unusual cat.
(c) Finishes a phone call.
(d) Buys a pack of batteries.
12. What does Kate Anselm, a programmer, tell Richard when she calls him as he's hunting for Dirk Gently's phone number?
(a) She can't reach Susan.
(b) She can't finish her work.
(c) She can't reach Gordon.
(d) She can't finish her dinner.
13. Why does Richard start to fall asleep at the dinner in Chapter 6?
(a) He's eaten too much.
(b) The professor has hypnotized him.
(c) A reader is reciting a poem.
(d) Harp music is playing.
14. Reg's memory is starting to fade, but he's still good at what?
(a) Shakespeare recitations.
(b) Number recall.
(c) Magic tricks.
(d) Fruit juggling.
15. After Dirk finally stops talking on the phone and welcomes Richard to his agency, he indicates that the light from the window works, gravity works, but with everything else, they simply have to:
(a) Pay the bill.
(b) Take their chances.
(c) Close their eyes and imagine it.
(d) Hope for the best possible outcome.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Richard apologizes to Susan and she vents some of her anger, she tells him she has to work that weekend and:
2. Gordon's ghost wakes up from his fainting spell by the sound of what?
3. At the start of Chapter 3, what is Susan Way waiting for?
4. At the end of Chapter 17, what happens as the horse relishes its newfound freedom?
5. Why does the founder of WayForward Technologies like to call people and leave long, rambling messages on their answering machines?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)