|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Richard goes out to meet Dirk at their designated meeting spot after talking with Susan, he discovers that:
(a) The library burned down.
(b) The hospital staff is talking about Gordon's death.
(c) The coffee shop doesn't exist.
(d) The pizza place is closed.
2. The Electric Monk is:
(a) An alien that looks like a machine.
(b) A human that looks like a machine.
(c) A machine that looks human.
(d) A human that looks like an alien.
3. One of Dirk's roommates notices that he's reciting what while he sleeps?
(a) Questions on upcoming midterms.
(b) Phone numbers of everyone on campus.
(c) Songs written thousands of years ago.
(d) Ingredients of secret recipes.
4. What does the roaming alien ghost who is driven mad with guilt and loneliness want?
(a) A meeting with the president of the universe.
(b) A date with the female of his dreams.
(c) To go back in time to correct a mistake he made.
(d) To jump into another dimension where his friends are.
5. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, he notices that:
(a) There is a pile of hay on the front porch.
(b) There is a second identical horse standing by the front door.
(c) There are no cars parked in front of the house.
(d) There are no scratch marks from the horse's hooves by the front door.
6. Who had told Richard about L'Esprit d'Escalier?
7. When Richard first arrives at Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, he overhears Dirk explain to someone at the other end of the phone line that his job involves doing what?
(a) Comparing fingerprints and footprints to find similarities between cases.
(b) Guessing why horses mysteriously end up in bathrooms.
(c) Tracking down and reprogramming Electronic Monks.
(d) Finding a pattern in the holistic interconnectedness of all things.
8. When he was living, what did the alien ghost driven to madness hope to accomplish on Earth?
(a) Meet the smartest human on the planet.
(b) Establish a utopian paradise.
(c) Change the value of pi.
(d) Open an etiquette school.
9. As the Electric Monk's belief in a door in the valley solidifies into the notion that the Door is The Way, what happens?
(a) The world turns purple.
(b) He finds the door.
(c) Snow starts to fall.
(d) His horse disappears.
10. Why does Richard start to fall asleep at the dinner in Chapter 6?
(a) Harp music is playing.
(b) The professor has hypnotized him.
(c) He's eaten too much.
(d) A reader is reciting a poem.
11. What kind of car does Gordon Way drive?
12. Why does Dirk offer Richard his services as a detective?
(a) Police suspect Richard of being involved in Gordon's murder.
(b) Richard is afraid Susan is seeing Michael behind his back.
(c) Police suspect Richard of stealing a horse.
(d) Richard's cat has been missing since Easter.
13. Why does Richard MacDuff dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
(a) Michael got Richard fired.
(b) Michael dumped Richard's sister.
(c) He is arrogant and has no conscience.
(d) He is wealthy and feels sorry for himself.
14. As the Electric Monk sits atop his horse in a valley on a foreign world, he incorrectly believes that the valley is what?
(b) A deep river.
(d) A giant worm.
15. When Reg prepares tea for Richard, he ends up spilling it all over the floor. What causes him to do this?
(a) He's startled by a noise.
(b) Time warp.
(c) His hands fell asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he searches for a door in the valley, the Electric Monk is temporarily distracted by a what?
2. What kind of car does Richard MacDuff drive?
3. How old is the alien ghost that roams Earth filled with guilt and loneliness?
4. When Gordon Way leaves a message on Susan's answering machine, what does he request of her?
5. After Richard apologizes to Susan and she vents some of her anger, she tells him she has to work that weekend and:
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)