|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gordon's ghost wakes up from his fainting spell by the sound of what?
(a) A mouse gnawing on bread crumbs.
(b) His gas cooker exploding.
(c) His radio alarm blaring.
(d) A knock on the door.
2. Dirk is arrested and thrown out of college for:
(a) Stealing food.
(b) Cheating during finals.
(c) Ridiculing the dean.
(d) Being too smart.
3. Who founded WayForward Technologies?
(a) Susan Way.
(b) Gordon Way.
(c) Dirk Gently.
(d) Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
4. The author opens Chapter 7 indicating that Gordon Way is not aware that this day is to be what?
(a) The shortest of the year.
(b) Filled with angry phone calls.
(c) Filled with unusual weather.
(d) The last of his life.
5. Who had told Richard about L'Esprit d'Escalier?
6. Michael Wenton-Weakes spends much of his time brooding over the loss of what?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His mansion.
(c) His magazine.
(d) His girlfriend.
7. When the Coleridge dinner finally ends, where does Richard MacDuff go?
(a) Dirk's small office.
(b) His own temporary living quarters.
(c) Gordon's temporary office.
(d) Reg's small apartment.
8. When Richard goes out to meet Dirk at their designated meeting spot after talking with Susan, he discovers that:
(a) The coffee shop doesn't exist.
(b) The hospital staff is talking about Gordon's death.
(c) The library burned down.
(d) The pizza place is closed.
9. How does Reg amuse a little girl named Sarah who is bored at the dinner party in Chapter 4?
(a) Singing silly songs.
(b) Doing mathematical tricks.
(c) Making things disappear and reappear.
(d) Juggling five fruits at the same time.
10. After Michael Wenton-Weakes' father dies, who takes over the family publishing business?
(a) Dirk Gently.
(b) Michael's mother.
(c) Michael's brother.
(d) Richard MacDuff.
11. In Chapter 13, who is the person spying with the binoculars?
12. After Richard has tampered with Susan's answering machine, she walks in with whom?
13. When Gordon Way leaves a message on Susan's answering machine, what does he request of her?
(a) To get Dirk on a case immediately.
(b) To get Reg to stop doing his conspicuous tricks.
(c) To get Michael to meet with him the following day.
(d) To get Richard working in earnest on Anthem.
14. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, he notices that:
(a) There is a pile of hay on the front porch.
(b) There is a second identical horse standing by the front door.
(c) There are no scratch marks from the horse's hooves by the front door.
(d) There are no cars parked in front of the house.
15. When the little girl at the dinner party in Chapter 4 grows restless and kicks the table, what does her father do?
(a) Orders ice cream for her.
(b) Laughs loudly.
(c) Pretends not to notice.
(d) Scolds her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, after Richard goes home and pours himself a brandy, the author says there are three reasons he starts to shake, including what?
2. What command does the college porter give to a "strange priest" who turns out to be the Electric Monk?
3. How does the horse regard the Electric Monk that rides it?
4. Why does Richard start to fall asleep at the dinner in Chapter 6?
5. What does Richard do after taking the tape out of Susan Way's answering machine?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)