|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author opens Chapter 7 indicating that Gordon Way is not aware that this day is to be what?
(a) Filled with angry phone calls.
(b) The shortest of the year.
(c) The last of his life.
(d) Filled with unusual weather.
2. As a ghostly Gordon makes his way to his cabin, he wonders what will happen to his what?
3. At first, Dirk Gently wants to help the roaming alien ghost using what?
(a) Time machine.
(d) Fortune teller.
4. Who does Michael Wenton-Weakes blame for stealing his magazine?
5. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, he notices that:
(a) There are no scratch marks from the horse's hooves by the front door.
(b) There are no cars parked in front of the house.
(c) There is a second identical horse standing by the front door.
(d) There is a pile of hay on the front porch.
6. When Richard sees what appears to be someone lugging a body into a field, he dismisses this as merely what?
(a) A man dressed as Santa bringing home presents.
(b) A landscaper carrying a bag of clippings.
(c) An actor practicing his improv.
(d) A farmer carrying a sackful of something nutritious.
7. In Chapter 12, after Richard swerves wildly, slams on the brakes, and skids to a stop, he finds himself on the road:
(a) Facing the wrong way.
(b) Underneath a tall truck.
(c) Hovering an inch above ground.
(d) Next to a flock of sheep.
8. What does Richard do right after Reg explains there's a horse in the upstairs bathroom?
(a) Slaps him.
(b) Runs away.
(c) Calls his attorney.
(d) Tackles him.
9. The Electric Monk is:
(a) A human that looks like an alien.
(b) A human that looks like a machine.
(c) A machine that looks human.
(d) An alien that looks like a machine.
10. How old is the alien ghost that roams Earth filled with guilt and loneliness?
(a) Dozens of days.
(b) Three years.
(c) Ninety-nine billion eight hundred million nine hundred thousand.
(d) Millions of years.
11. Why does the founder of WayForward Technologies like to call people and leave long, rambling messages on their answering machines?
(a) To get them to answer their phones.
(b) To keep from feeling lonely.
(c) To keep employees on their toes.
(d) To think ideas through.
12. The author notes that even though a rider may sit on a horse all day long and not think about the creature, the one being sat upon:
(a) Thinks the one sitting upon it is selfish and stubborn.
(b) Wants a break now and again.
(c) Can't help but form an opinion of the one sitting upon it.
(d) Would like the roles to be reversed.
13. What happens as the Electric Monk wonders what to do about Gordon, about his own missing horse, and about his belief systems?
(a) Dirk finds him and tries to reprogram his circuits.
(b) It begins to snow.
(c) Two men drop off his horse in the pasture.
(d) Gordon's ghost appears to him.
14. When a client calls Dirk to complain about charges, Dirk writes a note to Richard asking him to go get what?
(b) His secretary.
(d) His briefcase.
15. When the little girl at the dinner party in Chapter 4 grows restless and kicks the table, what does her father do?
(a) Orders ice cream for her.
(b) Scolds her.
(c) Pretends not to notice.
(d) Laughs loudly.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a light rain falls on primordial Earth, what is stuck as a river of mud flows past it?
2. When Richard returns from doing an errand, he finds Dirk on the phone defending a trip to Bermuda, claiming that while he was there he successfully did what?
3. Why does Richard MacDuff dislike Michael Wenton-Weakes?
4. When Reg prepares tea for Richard, he ends up spilling it all over the floor. What causes him to do this?
5. When Richard calls L'Esprit d'Escalier, what does he find out?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)