|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, after Richard swerves wildly, slams on the brakes, and skids to a stop, he finds himself on the road:
(a) Next to a flock of sheep.
(b) Underneath a tall truck.
(c) Facing the wrong way.
(d) Hovering an inch above ground.
2. In Chapter 8, what does Richard MacDuff say has been stuck in his hallway for three weeks?
(b) Queen bed.
(c) Washing machine.
3. When a client calls Dirk to complain about charges, Dirk writes a note to Richard asking him to go get what?
(c) His secretary.
(d) His briefcase.
4. Dirk is arrested and thrown out of college for:
(a) Ridiculing the dean.
(b) Cheating during finals.
(c) Stealing food.
(d) Being too smart.
5. After Richard apologizes to Susan and she vents some of her anger, she tells him she has to work that weekend and:
(a) Tells him to bring a pizza.
(b) Kicks him out.
(c) Forgives him.
(d) Tickles him.
6. After Gordon's ghost arrives at his seven-bedroom cottage, he faints upon discovering what in the kitchen?
(a) Susan's cello.
(b) Richard's tape recorder.
(c) His missing cat.
(d) His missing body.
7. What is the Electric Monk?
(a) A robotic spiritual cook.
(b) A device that believes things for people.
(c) A thief posing as a religious monk.
(d) An imaginary friend manifesting itself as electricity.
8. In Chapter 4, Richard MacDuff attends a dinner held in honor of whom?
(a) Dirk Cjelli.
(b) King George the Third.
(c) Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
(d) The Electric Monk.
9. What command does the college porter give to a "strange priest" who turns out to be the Electric Monk?
(a) Go fly a kite.
(b) Get lost.
(c) Shoot off.
(d) Shove off.
10. As a ghostly Gordon makes his way to his cabin, he wonders what will happen to his what?
11. As the Electric Monk looks across a vast valley, he begins to imagine that he'll find a door here leading to where?
(a) The factory where he was made.
(b) A fast-food restaurant.
(c) The inside of the moon.
(d) A distant world.
12. In Chapter 13, who breaks into someone's apartment?
13. At first, Dirk Gently wants to help the roaming alien ghost using what?
(a) Time machine.
(d) Fortune teller.
14. At the start of Chapter 3, what is Susan Way waiting for?
(a) Phone call or doorbell.
(b) Pizza delivery.
(c) Pay raise or promotion.
(d) Sign from above.
15. With whom does Richard MacDuff walk to a dinner in Chapter 4?
(a) His friend's ex-girlfriend.
(b) His half-brother.
(c) His former employer.
(d) His former college tutor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this novel, what starts life on primordial Earth?
2. After Michael Wenton-Weakes' father dies, who takes over the family publishing business?
3. Who tells Richard that Gordon was murdered?
4. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, he notices that:
5. While Gordon Way drives his car and leaves a lengthy phone message for Susan, what does he hear?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)