|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Richard calls L'Esprit d'Escalier, what does he find out?
(a) After a third robbery, the jewelry store has shut down.
(b) Reservations have to be made three weeks in advance.
(c) The cruise ship is retired from the fleet.
(d) Nobody carries this computer model any longer.
2. When Richard leafs through the phone book looking for Dirk Gently's phone number, he:
(a) Has trouble finding it.
(b) Finds it under Dirk's former name.
(c) Finds twelve different numbers under the same name.
(d) Discovers that pages are missing from the phone book.
3. In Chapter 12, after Richard swerves wildly, slams on the brakes, and skids to a stop, he finds himself on the road:
(a) Hovering an inch above ground.
(b) Underneath a tall truck.
(c) Next to a flock of sheep.
(d) Facing the wrong way.
4. Why does the founder of WayForward Technologies like to call people and leave long, rambling messages on their answering machines?
(a) To keep from feeling lonely.
(b) To get them to answer their phones.
(c) To think ideas through.
(d) To keep employees on their toes.
5. With whom does Richard MacDuff walk to a dinner in Chapter 4?
(a) His former college tutor.
(b) His half-brother.
(c) His friend's ex-girlfriend.
(d) His former employer.
6. When a client calls Dirk to complain about charges, Dirk writes a note to Richard asking him to go get what?
(b) His secretary.
(d) His briefcase.
7. As Gordon heads towards his cabin, he's disappointed that as a ghost, he can't do what?
(a) Pass through walls.
(b) Float or drift.
(c) Wail or moan.
(d) Leave this town.
8. After Gordon's ghost arrives at his seven-bedroom cottage, he faints upon discovering what in the kitchen?
(a) His missing body.
(b) Richard's tape recorder.
(c) His missing cat.
(d) Susan's cello.
9. In Chapter 12, after Richard goes home and pours himself a brandy, the author says there are three reasons he starts to shake, including what?
(a) The apparition of Gordon.
(b) The UFO.
(c) The appearance of the time machine.
(d) The look in the monk's eyes.
10. At the opening of Chapter 4, Richard MacDuff is walking across the campus of St. Cedd's with whom?
(a) Professor Urban Chronotis.
(b) Detective Svlad Cjelli.
(c) CEO Gordon Way.
(d) Cellist Susan Way.
11. Who had told Richard about L'Esprit d'Escalier?
12. When the Electric Monk sits perfectly still atop his horse in a valley on a foreign world, how does everything looks to him?
13. Who is Michael Wenton-Weakes' father?
(a) Lord Magna.
(b) Count Olen.
(c) Sir Rothington.
(d) Judge Barton.
14. Once Dirk and Richard realize what the alien ghost wants, they set out to do what?
(a) Help him.
(b) Stop him.
(c) Dissolve him.
(d) Trap him.
15. Reg's memory is starting to fade, but he's still good at what?
(a) Shakespeare recitations.
(b) Magic tricks.
(c) Fruit juggling.
(d) Number recall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the Electric Monk and his horse walk through a small wooden door in the valley?
2. When Susan listens to her answering machine tape and hears Gordon's rambling message, what does she do?
3. Even though he's a ghost, Gordon grows tired of walking down a deserted road and wonders if he might be able to do what?
4. Urban Chronotis is Regius Professor of what?
5. After finding the address for Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and going there, Richard arrives in time to see Dirk's unpaid secretary do what?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)