|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Richard first arrives at Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, he overhears Dirk explain to someone at the other end of the phone line that his job involves doing what?
(a) Finding a pattern in the holistic interconnectedness of all things.
(b) Tracking down and reprogramming Electronic Monks.
(c) Guessing why horses mysteriously end up in bathrooms.
(d) Comparing fingerprints and footprints to find similarities between cases.
2. When Richard goes out to meet Dirk at their designated meeting spot after talking with Susan, he discovers that:
(a) The library burned down.
(b) The coffee shop doesn't exist.
(c) The pizza place is closed.
(d) The hospital staff is talking about Gordon's death.
3. How is Gordon Way related to Susan, the cellist?
4. What does the roaming alien ghost who is driven mad with guilt and loneliness want?
(a) A date with the female of his dreams.
(b) To jump into another dimension where his friends are.
(c) To go back in time to correct a mistake he made.
(d) A meeting with the president of the universe.
5. During his finals, Dirk makes a bet to try to disprove what?
(a) Rumors of tampered recipes.
(b) Rumors of his psychic abilities.
(c) The theory of relativity.
(d) The necessity of Electric Monks.
6. In Chapter 3, Susan Way tells Michael to do what?
(a) Leave a package at the Brazil Club.
(b) Meet her at the Tangiers Club.
(c) Never call again.
(d) Pick up an olive pizza.
7. Why does Dirk offer Richard his services as a detective?
(a) Richard is afraid Susan is seeing Michael behind his back.
(b) Richard's cat has been missing since Easter.
(c) Police suspect Richard of being involved in Gordon's murder.
(d) Police suspect Richard of stealing a horse.
8. Reg explains to Richard that his position was created by King George the Third to answer what?
(a) Why things happen in sequence.
(b) Where to go for emergencies.
(c) Which came first, chickens or ostriches.
(d) How much tea one person can drink.
9. Who had told Richard about L'Esprit d'Escalier?
10. When Richard calls L'Esprit d'Escalier, what does he find out?
(a) Reservations have to be made three weeks in advance.
(b) Nobody carries this computer model any longer.
(c) The cruise ship is retired from the fleet.
(d) After a third robbery, the jewelry store has shut down.
11. Even though he's a ghost, Gordon grows tired of walking down a deserted road and wonders if he might be able to do what?
(a) Teleport automatically.
(b) Hitch a ride.
(c) Drink chai tea.
(d) Sprout wings and fly.
12. At first, Dirk Gently wants to help the roaming alien ghost using what?
(c) Fortune teller.
(d) Time machine.
13. In Chapter 12, as a lost Richard drives down the road trying to read his maps, he's also trying to place a phone call with whom?
14. After Richard apologizes to Susan and she vents some of her anger, she tells him she has to work that weekend and:
(a) Tells him to bring a pizza.
(b) Kicks him out.
(c) Tickles him.
(d) Forgives him.
15. Richard writes Anthem, a financial spreadsheet that translates business financial numbers, into what?
(b) Plain English.
(c) Health predictions.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 17, what happens as the horse relishes its newfound freedom?
2. When a client calls Dirk to complain about charges, Dirk writes a note to Richard asking him to go get what?
3. Who tells Richard that Gordon was murdered?
4. How does Dirk Cjelli make a name for himself while he's in college?
5. In Chapter 7, when Gordon Way stops to fill his car with petrol, what else does he do?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)