|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the founder of WayForward Technologies like to call people and leave long, rambling messages on their answering machines?
(a) To get them to answer their phones.
(b) To keep employees on their toes.
(c) To think ideas through.
(d) To keep from feeling lonely.
2. Michael Wenton-Weakes spends much of his time brooding over the loss of what?
(a) His girlfriend.
(b) His mansion.
(c) His magazine.
(d) His best friend.
3. What kind of car does Gordon Way drive?
4. How does Reg amuse a little girl named Sarah who is bored at the dinner party in Chapter 4?
(a) Doing mathematical tricks.
(b) Singing silly songs.
(c) Juggling five fruits at the same time.
(d) Making things disappear and reappear.
5. In Chapter 12, after Richard goes home and pours himself a brandy, the author says there are three reasons he starts to shake, including what?
(a) The apparition of Gordon.
(b) The UFO.
(c) The appearance of the time machine.
(d) The look in the monk's eyes.
6. In Chapter 8, what does Richard MacDuff say has been stuck in his hallway for three weeks?
(a) Washing machine.
(c) Queen bed.
7. When Richard goes out to meet Dirk at their designated meeting spot after talking with Susan, he discovers that:
(a) The library burned down.
(b) The hospital staff is talking about Gordon's death.
(c) The coffee shop doesn't exist.
(d) The pizza place is closed.
8. When Gordon Way leaves a message on Susan's answering machine, what does he request of her?
(a) To get Dirk on a case immediately.
(b) To get Richard working in earnest on Anthem.
(c) To get Michael to meet with him the following day.
(d) To get Reg to stop doing his conspicuous tricks.
9. As Gordon heads towards his cabin, he's disappointed that as a ghost, he can't do what?
(a) Leave this town.
(b) Pass through walls.
(c) Float or drift.
(d) Wail or moan.
10. While Gordon Way drives his car and leaves a lengthy phone message for Susan, what does he hear?
(a) A noise coming from the car trunk.
(b) A loud siren all around him.
(c) A huge jet flying overhead.
(d) An explosion to the west.
11. In Chapter 3, Susan Way tells Michael to do what?
(a) Meet her at the Tangiers Club.
(b) Pick up an olive pizza.
(c) Leave a package at the Brazil Club.
(d) Never call again.
12. Who founded WayForward Technologies?
(a) Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
(b) Dirk Gently.
(c) Susan Way.
(d) Gordon Way.
13. Even though he's a ghost, Gordon grows tired of walking down a deserted road and wonders if he might be able to do what?
(a) Sprout wings and fly.
(b) Hitch a ride.
(c) Teleport automatically.
(d) Drink chai tea.
14. After a dead Gordon decides to try to get to his cabin, what does he notice about his body?
(a) It's missing.
(b) It has moved twenty feet.
(c) It's twitching.
(d) It doesn't look like him.
15. Gordon's ghost wakes up from his fainting spell by the sound of what?
(a) His gas cooker exploding.
(b) A knock on the door.
(c) A mouse gnawing on bread crumbs.
(d) His radio alarm blaring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dirk offer Richard his services as a detective?
2. In Dirk's office, he and Richard talk about Schrodinger's Cat, which is what?
3. When Reg prepares tea for Richard, he ends up spilling it all over the floor. What causes him to do this?
4. After Dirk Gently calls Richard and scolds him for going to the window and allowing himself to be photographed, he tells Richard to meet him where?
5. When a dead Gordon realizes that the phone line is still open and connected to his sister's answering machine, what does he do?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)