|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Reg explains to Richard that his position was created by King George the Third to answer what?
(a) How much tea one person can drink.
(b) Which came first, chickens or ostriches.
(c) Why things happen in sequence.
(d) Where to go for emergencies.
2. One of Dirk's roommates notices that he's reciting what while he sleeps?
(a) Questions on upcoming midterms.
(b) Ingredients of secret recipes.
(c) Songs written thousands of years ago.
(d) Phone numbers of everyone on campus.
3. The author opens Chapter 7 indicating that Gordon Way is not aware that this day is to be what?
(a) The last of his life.
(b) The shortest of the year.
(c) Filled with angry phone calls.
(d) Filled with unusual weather.
4. When Richard returns from doing an errand, he finds Dirk on the phone defending a trip to Bermuda, claiming that while he was there he successfully did what?
(a) Traced the interconnectedness of all things.
(b) Found nineteen missing cats.
(c) Solved the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle.
(d) Reprogrammed thirteen Electronic Monks.
5. When Reg prepares tea for Richard, he ends up spilling it all over the floor. What causes him to do this?
(a) Time warp.
(c) He's startled by a noise.
(d) His hands fell asleep.
6. When Richard calls Susan to apologize for forgetting to bring her to the college dinner, he suggests they do what?
(a) Forget the whole thing happened and start over.
(b) Split up for a while and think things over.
(c) Get some fish and chips and watch a movie.
(d) Get away to someplace sunny for a weekend or week.
7. As Gordon heads towards his cabin, he's disappointed that as a ghost, he can't do what?
(a) Wail or moan.
(b) Float or drift.
(c) Leave this town.
(d) Pass through walls.
8. Why does the founder of WayForward Technologies like to call people and leave long, rambling messages on their answering machines?
(a) To keep from feeling lonely.
(b) To think ideas through.
(c) To keep employees on their toes.
(d) To get them to answer their phones.
9. Who had told Richard about L'Esprit d'Escalier?
10. When the Electric Monk sits perfectly still atop his horse in a valley on a foreign world, how does everything looks to him?
11. As the Electric Monk sits atop his horse in a valley on a foreign world, he incorrectly believes that the valley is what?
(b) A giant worm.
(c) A deep river.
12. After Richard apologizes to Susan and she vents some of her anger, she tells him she has to work that weekend and:
(a) Kicks him out.
(b) Tickles him.
(c) Forgives him.
(d) Tells him to bring a pizza.
13. After Richard has tampered with Susan's answering machine, she walks in with whom?
14. How does the horse regard the Electric Monk that rides it?
(a) It admires and respects the rider greatly.
(b) It is tired of putting up with the rider's silly situations.
(c) It feels it is infinitely smarter and more attractive than the rider.
(d) It is eager to follow the rider's orders.
15. What is the Electric Monk?
(a) A device that believes things for people.
(b) A thief posing as a religious monk.
(c) A robotic spiritual cook.
(d) An imaginary friend manifesting itself as electricity.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard leafs through the phone book looking for Dirk Gently's phone number, he:
2. At first, Dirk Gently wants to help the roaming alien ghost using what?
3. The author notes that even though a rider may sit on a horse all day long and not think about the creature, the one being sat upon:
4. As a light rain falls on primordial Earth, what is stuck as a river of mud flows past it?
5. In college, why do fellow students start to wine and dine Dirk?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)