|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dirk is arrested and thrown out of college for:
(a) Stealing food.
(b) Cheating during finals.
(c) Ridiculing the dean.
(d) Being too smart.
2. In Chapter 7, when Gordon Way stops to fill his car with petrol, what else does he do?
(a) Buys a pack of batteries.
(b) Talks to an unusual cat.
(c) Finishes a phone call.
(d) Overfills his tires with air.
3. What does the roaming alien ghost who is driven mad with guilt and loneliness want?
(a) To go back in time to correct a mistake he made.
(b) A date with the female of his dreams.
(c) A meeting with the president of the universe.
(d) To jump into another dimension where his friends are.
4. What is the relationship between Richard MacDuff and private investigator Dirk Gently?
(a) Richard is Dirk's long-lost twin brother.
(b) Richard is Dirk's old college friend.
(c) Richard is Dirk's hundred-year-old mentor.
(d) Richard is Dirk's robot assistant.
5. Why does Richard start to fall asleep at the dinner in Chapter 6?
(a) The professor has hypnotized him.
(b) Harp music is playing.
(c) He's eaten too much.
(d) A reader is reciting a poem.
6. After Gordon dies and steps out of his body, what does he find surprising?
(a) His car is intact.
(b) He can fly.
(c) He's still conscious.
(d) People can see him.
7. In Chapter 13, who is the person spying with the binoculars?
8. As the Electric Monk sits atop his horse in a valley on a foreign world, he incorrectly believes that the valley is what?
(b) A giant worm.
(c) A deep river.
9. What does Richard do right after Reg explains there's a horse in the upstairs bathroom?
(a) Calls his attorney.
(b) Tackles him.
(c) Slaps him.
(d) Runs away.
10. When Richard leaves Reg's place after seeing a horse in the bathroom, he notices that:
(a) There are no scratch marks from the horse's hooves by the front door.
(b) There is a pile of hay on the front porch.
(c) There is a second identical horse standing by the front door.
(d) There are no cars parked in front of the house.
11. At the end of Chapter 17, what happens as the horse relishes its newfound freedom?
(a) It meets three mysterious horses.
(b) The Electronic Monk brings it hay.
(c) It finds itself in another small bathroom.
(d) The Electric Monk lands on its back.
12. Even though he's a ghost, Gordon grows tired of walking down a deserted road and wonders if he might be able to do what?
(a) Sprout wings and fly.
(b) Drink chai tea.
(c) Hitch a ride.
(d) Teleport automatically.
13. As Gordon heads towards his cabin, he's disappointed that as a ghost, he can't do what?
(a) Pass through walls.
(b) Leave this town.
(c) Float or drift.
(d) Wail or moan.
14. Reg's memory is starting to fade, but he's still good at what?
(a) Number recall.
(b) Shakespeare recitations.
(c) Magic tricks.
(d) Fruit juggling.
15. During his finals, Dirk makes a bet to try to disprove what?
(a) Rumors of his psychic abilities.
(b) Rumors of tampered recipes.
(c) The necessity of Electric Monks.
(d) The theory of relativity.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Electric Monk is:
2. Who had told Richard about L'Esprit d'Escalier?
3. When Richard calls L'Esprit d'Escalier, what does he find out?
4. In this novel, what starts life on primordial Earth?
5. Why does Dirk offer Richard his services as a detective?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)