|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the Electric Monk sits atop his horse in a valley on a foreign world, he incorrectly believes that the valley is what?
(b) A giant worm.
(d) A deep river.
2. In Chapter 8, what does Richard MacDuff say has been stuck in his hallway for three weeks?
(a) Queen bed.
(b) Washing machine.
3. Who is Michael Wenton-Weakes' father?
(a) Lord Magna.
(b) Sir Rothington.
(c) Count Olen.
(d) Judge Barton.
4. How does Gordon Way die at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) Falling off a cliff.
(b) Heart attack.
(c) By shotgun.
(d) Chokes on a cracker.
5. How does Dirk Cjelli make a name for himself while he's in college?
(a) By denying stories about his psychic abilities.
(b) Through his ability to read tea leaves.
(c) Through his ability to sleep thirty hours straight.
(d) By inventing the precursor to the Electric Monk.
6. In Chapter 12, after Richard goes home and pours himself a brandy, the author says there are three reasons he starts to shake, including what?
(a) The appearance of the time machine.
(b) The apparition of Gordon.
(c) The look in the monk's eyes.
(d) The UFO.
7. Why does Dirk offer Richard his services as a detective?
(a) Police suspect Richard of being involved in Gordon's murder.
(b) Richard is afraid Susan is seeing Michael behind his back.
(c) Police suspect Richard of stealing a horse.
(d) Richard's cat has been missing since Easter.
8. After Michael Wenton-Weakes' father dies, who takes over the family publishing business?
(a) Michael's brother.
(b) Dirk Gently.
(c) Michael's mother.
(d) Richard MacDuff.
9. When the Coleridge dinner finally ends, where does Richard MacDuff go?
(a) Gordon's temporary office.
(b) Reg's small apartment.
(c) Dirk's small office.
(d) His own temporary living quarters.
10. In Chapter 4, Richard MacDuff attends a dinner held in honor of whom?
(a) Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
(b) Dirk Cjelli.
(c) King George the Third.
(d) The Electric Monk.
11. When Richard leafs through the phone book looking for Dirk Gently's phone number, he:
(a) Has trouble finding it.
(b) Finds it under Dirk's former name.
(c) Finds twelve different numbers under the same name.
(d) Discovers that pages are missing from the phone book.
12. When Richard sees what appears to be someone lugging a body into a field, he dismisses this as merely what?
(a) A farmer carrying a sackful of something nutritious.
(b) A landscaper carrying a bag of clippings.
(c) An actor practicing his improv.
(d) A man dressed as Santa bringing home presents.
13. As the Electric Monk's belief in a door in the valley solidifies into the notion that the Door is The Way, what happens?
(a) Snow starts to fall.
(b) His horse disappears.
(c) He finds the door.
(d) The world turns purple.
14. As Gordon heads towards his cabin, he's disappointed that as a ghost, he can't do what?
(a) Pass through walls.
(b) Leave this town.
(c) Float or drift.
(d) Wail or moan.
15. In Chapter 12, after Richard swerves wildly, slams on the brakes, and skids to a stop, he finds himself on the road:
(a) Underneath a tall truck.
(b) Hovering an inch above ground.
(c) Facing the wrong way.
(d) Next to a flock of sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Richard drives and leaves a lengthy message of apology on Susan's answering machine, he swerves because he sees what?
2. When Richard first arrives at Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, he overhears Dirk explain to someone at the other end of the phone line that his job involves doing what?
3. How old is the alien ghost that roams Earth filled with guilt and loneliness?
4. As a ghostly Gordon makes his way to his cabin, he wonders what will happen to his what?
5. The author opens Chapter 7 indicating that Gordon Way is not aware that this day is to be what?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)