|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Susan's tracer program was ___________________.
2. Swathmore calls Hale's bluff by __________________________.
3. When Jabba learns of the power failure in Crypto, he is not concerned about a virus until he learns that ____________________________.
4. What does Swathmore want from Hale?
5. What does Hale tell a terrified Susan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a mutation string?
2. What is a tracer?
3. Jabba had been ignoring Midge's concerns about TRANSLTR and the possibility of a virus all day. Why did he suddenly drop what he was doing and run to the main data banks?
4. How does Greg Hale feel he has to stop Phil Chartrukian?
5. What did the American using the name North Dakota do?
6. Why does Brinkerhoff find Fontaine's reaction to the problems in Crypto to be strange?
7. How does Becker try to locate the ring?
8. What does Swathmore plan to do about the situation in Crypto?
9. How does Phil Chartrukian come into conflict with Swathmore?
10. What is the purpose of the NSA?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Swathmore had his own plans for the Digital Fortress encryption program. What did he plan to do? What would have been the implications of his plan if he could have carried it out? Why was Hale trying to stop Swathmore?
Essay Topic 2
Tankado's favorite saying was 'Who Will Guard the Guards?' Explain the meaning of this term within the context of the novel. Who was Tankado applying the term to and why?
Essay Topic 3
Tankado opposed the secrecy of TRANSLTR and devised his scheme to force the NSA to make its existence known. How did Tankado make this fact known? Do you think Tankado expected his worm to do the damage it eventually did? What would the use of the terms Hiroshima and Nagasaki indicate?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)