|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Transit Bed", what is Armanda's profession?
2. In "The Adventure of a Photographer", who does Antonio fall in love with?
3. In "Theft in a Pastry Shop", who is still in the pastry shop when the police arrive?
4. "The Adventure of a Clerk," who does Enrico talk to at work?
5. In "Desire in November", what did Barbagallo get arrested for repeatedly?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Adventure of a Traveler", where is the traveler going and why?
2. In "Desire in November", who is Linda?
3. In "Dollars and the Demimondaine", why does Jolanda enter the bar first?
4. Write a synopsis of "The Adventure of a Soldier".
5. In "The Adventure of a Reader", why does the woman get mad at Amedeo and what does she do to get his attention?
6. In "Theft in a Pastry Shop", what makes the thieves more excited than money? Why?
7. In "The Adventure of a Bather", what does the bather lose and what does she do?
8. In "The Adventure of a Poet", what inspires Usnelli to write poetry?
9. In "The Adventure of a Poet", what does Usnelli see that is beautiful? How does he feel about it?
10. In "Desire in November", why is Barbagallo by the fur shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of comic relief in the stories of "Difficult Loves."
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the theme of waste in
1) "Man in the Wasteland" and
2) "Lazy Sons"
making sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss how the endings of
1) "The House of the Beehives"
2) "Big Fish, Little Fish" and
3) "A Ship Loaded with Crabs"
affect and define each of the stories.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)