|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Hunger at Bevera", what does Bisma bring back to the citizens of Bevera?
2. Who is the author of "Difficult Loves"?
3. In "A Goatherd at Luncheon", what is the goatherds name?
4. In "Man in the Wasteland", what is Baciccin's nickname?
5. In "The House of the Beehives", what does the narrator hate?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The House of the Beehives", what crime was committed? Describe it.
2. In "Animal Woods", why are the animals in the woods?
3. Describe some examples of the sons' laziness in "Lazy Sons".
4. What is the story "Mine Field" about?
5. In "Lazy Sons", what does Pietro think of his brother, Andrea? Why is this ironic?
6. Describe Bisma of "Hunger in Bevera".
7. Describe Baciccin of "Man in the Wasteland".
8. Describe Zefferino of "Big Fish, Little Fish".
9. In "A Goatherd at Luncheon", how does the narrator perceive the Goatherd?
10. In "The Enchanted Garden", describe Serenella and Giovannino's relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Italo Calvino is a critically acclaimed author.
Part 1) Describe Calvino's popularity and place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the story, being sure to touch upon:
a) Outlooks on life
d) Perception of other classes
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss how the mood and tone of a story influences a reader's perception, perhaps mentioning:
A) "Hunger at Bevera"
B) "Transit Bed"
C) "Desire in November" or
D) "One of the Three Is Still Alive"
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)