|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Goatherd at Luncheon", whose idea was it to have the goatherd to lunch?
2. In "The House of the Beehives", what does the narrator do to the dark woman?
3. In "Hunger at Bevera", who is the last person with livestock?
4. In "Lazy Sons", who asks Pietro and Andrea to work?
5. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", where does the survivor emerge from in order to escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Fear on the Footpath", what does Binda think he sees?
2. In "Animal Woods", why are the animals in the woods?
3. In "The Enchanted Garden", how do Serenella and Giovannino perceive the little boy in the house?
4. In "Theft in a Pastry Shop", what makes the thieves more excited than money? Why?
5. What is the story "Mine Field" about?
6. In "The Adventure of a Poet", what does Usnelli see that is beautiful? How does he feel about it?
7. Describe Zefferino of "Big Fish, Little Fish".
8. Describe Binda of "Fear on the Footpath".
9. In "The Adventure of a Nearsighted Man", what is the man's conundrum with wearing glasses?
10. In "Theft in a Pastry Shop", how do the thieves escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prostitution is mentioned in many of the stories. Explore and discuss why it is important and why it is necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss Calvino's writing style as exhibited in "Difficult Loves", perhaps mentioning
B) Use of details
D) Time period and
and making sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Italo Calvino is a critically acclaimed author.
Part 1) Describe Calvino's popularity and place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)