|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Lazy Sons", who thinks Andrea is cruel?
2. In "Lazy Sons", what do Pietro and Andrea like to do?
3. In "Hunger at Bevera", how does Bisma leave town?
4. In "Animal Woods", where do the townspeople hide their animals?
5. In "Big Fish, Little Fish", who rescues Signorina De Magistris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some examples of the sons' laziness in "Lazy Sons".
2. In "Lazy Sons", what does Pietro think of his brother, Andrea? Why is this ironic?
3. What is the family dynamic portrayed in "A Goatherd at Luncheon"?
4. In "The House of the Beehives", what crime was committed? Describe it.
5. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", what does the one man survive through?
6. Describe Zefferino of "Big Fish, Little Fish".
7. What is the surprise ending of "A Ship Loaded with Crabs"?
8. In "Fear on the Footpath", what does Binda think he sees?
9. In "Big Fish, Little Fish", how do Zefferino and Signorina De Magistris' outlooks on life differ?
10. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", who are the three men and why are they in their predicament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss Calvino's writing style as exhibited in "Difficult Loves", perhaps mentioning
B) Use of details
D) Time period and
and making sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss man's will to survive as exhibited in one or more of the Wartime Stories.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the stories in "Difficult Loves" are and are not dated.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)