|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The House of the Beehives", what does the narrator hate?
2. In "The Enchanted Garden", what do the children see in the house?
3. In "Big Fish, Little Fish", Zeffirino loves to ___.
4. In "Animal Woods", who tends to confiscate livestock?
5. In "Hunger at Bevera", what does Bisma bring back to the citizens of Bevera?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the family dynamic portrayed in "A Goatherd at Luncheon"?
2. In "Man in the Wasteland", what does Baciccin complain about?
3. In "A Ship Loaded with Crabs", how does the Dolori gang perceive the Arenella gang at the beginning of the story?
4. In "Lazy Sons", what is the family dynamic?
5. In "Man in the Wasteland", how does Baciccin ruin hunting for the boy and his father?
6. Describe Bisma of "Hunger in Bevera".
7. In "Big Fish, Little Fish", how do Zefferino and Signorina De Magistris' outlooks on life differ?
8. In "Animal Woods", why are the animals in the woods?
9. In "Fear on the Footpath", what does Binda think he sees?
10. Describe some examples of the sons' laziness in "Lazy Sons".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Italo Calvino is a critically acclaimed author.
Part 1) Describe Calvino's popularity and place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss how the endings of
1) "The House of the Beehives"
2) "Big Fish, Little Fish" and
3) "A Ship Loaded with Crabs"
affect and define each of the stories.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the appearance of war and its affects that occur in various stories.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)