|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Man in the Wasteland", who ruins the hunt?
2. In "Mine Field", who walks through the mine field?
3. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", what does the survivor worry s/he will be driven to?
4. In "Big Fish, Little Fish", what attacks Signorina De Magistris?
5. In "Lazy Sons", how old are Pietro and Andrea?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", what does the one man survive through?
2. In "Big Fish, Little Fish", how do Zefferino and Signorina De Magistris' outlooks on life differ?
3. Describe the little boy in "The Crow Comes Last".
4. Describe some examples of the sons' laziness in "Lazy Sons".
5. Describe Zefferino of "Big Fish, Little Fish".
6. In "A Goatherd at Luncheon", how does the narrator perceive the Goatherd?
7. Describe Binda of "Fear on the Footpath".
8. In "Animal Woods", why are the animals in the woods?
9. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", who are the three men and why are they in their predicament?
10. Describe Baciccin of "Man in the Wasteland".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What literary technique did you feel the author used most effectively in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss Calvino's writing style as exhibited in "Difficult Loves", perhaps mentioning
B) Use of details
D) Time period and
and making sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss man's will to survive as exhibited in one or more of the Wartime Stories.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)