|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Goatherd at Luncheon", what is the goatherds name?
2. In "A Ship Loaded with Crabs", what is the Dolori gang out doing?
3. In "Big Fish, Little Fish", what attacks Signorina De Magistris?
4. In "Adam, One Afternoon", what is Maria-nunziata's profession?
5. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", who are the three people?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Lazy Sons", what does Pietro think of his brother, Andrea? Why is this ironic?
2. Describe the narrator in "The House of the Beehives".
3. Describe Bisma of "Hunger in Bevera".
4. Describe Zefferino of "Big Fish, Little Fish".
5. Describe Binda of "Fear on the Footpath".
6. What is the surprise ending of "A Ship Loaded with Crabs"?
7. In "Man in the Wasteland", how does Baciccin ruin hunting for the boy and his father?
8. In "Big Fish, Little Fish", how do Zefferino and Signorina De Magistris' outlooks on life differ?
9. In "Animal Woods", how does the German soldier die?
10. In "A Goatherd at Luncheon", how does the narrator perceive the Goatherd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sex is mentioned in many of the stories. Explore and discuss why it is important and why it is necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss how the mood and tone of a story influences a reader's perception, perhaps mentioning:
A) "Hunger at Bevera"
B) "Transit Bed"
C) "Desire in November" or
D) "One of the Three Is Still Alive"
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the stories in "Difficult Loves" are and are not dated.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)