|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language was "Difficult Loves" originally written in?
2. In "Fear on the Footpath", where is Binda trying to go?
3. In "The House of the Beehives", where does the narrator live?
4. When were the stories of "Difficult Loves" originally written?
5. In "The House of the Beehives", what does the narrator do to the dark woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Baciccin of "Man in the Wasteland".
2. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", who are the three men and why are they in their predicament?
3. What is the surprise ending of "A Ship Loaded with Crabs"?
4. In "Fear on the Footpath", what does Binda think he sees?
5. Describe Bisma of "Hunger in Bevera".
6. What is the story "Mine Field" about?
7. In "Lazy Sons", what is the family dynamic?
8. Describe the narrator in "The House of the Beehives".
9. In "The Enchanted Garden", describe Serenella and Giovannino's relationship.
10. Describe the little boy in "The Crow Comes Last".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the stories in "Difficult Loves" are and are not dated.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss how the mood and tone of a story influences a reader's perception, perhaps mentioning:
A) "Hunger at Bevera"
B) "Transit Bed"
C) "Desire in November" or
D) "One of the Three Is Still Alive"
Essay Topic 3
Italo Calvino is a critically acclaimed author.
Part 1) Describe Calvino's popularity and place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)