|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Goatherd at Luncheon", whose idea was it to have the goatherd to lunch?
2. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", what does the survivor worry s/he will be driven to?
3. In "Going to Headquarters", who are the characters?
4. In "The Crow Comes Last", what does the boy first shoot?
5. In "Big Fish, Little Fish", where do Signorina De Magistris and Zeffirino keep the fish they have caught?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The House of the Beehives", what crime was committed? Describe it.
2. In "Lazy Sons", what is the family dynamic?
3. In "The Adventure of a Reader", what does Amedeo like to do?
4. In "A Goatherd at Luncheon", how does the narrator perceive the Goatherd?
5. In "The Adventure of a Clerk", why doesn't the clerk talk to anyone about what he is thinking and feeling?
6. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", what does the one man survive through?
7. In "Theft in a Pastry Shop", what makes the thieves more excited than money? Why?
8. In "Fear on the Footpath", what does Binda think he sees?
9. In "The Adventure of a Nearsighted Man", what is the man's conundrum with wearing glasses?
10. What is the surprise ending of "A Ship Loaded with Crabs"?
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the story, being sure to touch upon:
a) Outlooks on life
d) Perception of other classes
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Prostitution is mentioned in many of the stories. Explore and discuss why it is important and why it is necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the main characters in
1) "The Adventure of a Photographer"
2) "The Adventure of a Traveler" and
3) "The Adventure of a Reader"
neglect to focus on reality. Discuss how and why this is important.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)