|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Fear on the Footpath", where is Binda trying to go?
2. In "Hunger at Bevera", who is the last person with livestock?
3. In "Man in the Wasteland", what are the father and son hunting?
4. What language was "Difficult Loves" originally written in?
5. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", what does the survivor worry s/he will be driven to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story "Mine Field" about?
2. Describe the little boy in "The Crow Comes Last".
3. In "A Ship Loaded with Crabs", how does the Dolori gang perceive the Arenella gang at the beginning of the story?
4. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", what does the one man survive through?
5. In "Lazy Sons", what is the family dynamic?
6. In "Adam, One Afternoon", what is Maria-nunziata's understanding of sex?
7. In "Hunger in Bevera", what happens to Bisma?
8. Describe Zefferino of "Big Fish, Little Fish".
9. Describe Bisma of "Hunger in Bevera".
10. In "Lazy Sons", what does Pietro think of his brother, Andrea? Why is this ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why each of the stories in "Stories of Love and Loneliness" are indeed stories of love and loneliness.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the appearance of war and its affects that occur in various stories.
Essay Topic 3
Italo Calvino is a critically acclaimed author.
Part 1) Describe Calvino's popularity and place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)