|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Animal Woods", who tends to confiscate livestock?
2. In "Lazy Sons", who helps the family with their business?
3. In "Big Fish, Little Fish", what attacks Signorina De Magistris?
4. In "A Goatherd at Luncheon", whose idea was it to have the goatherd to lunch?
5. In "The House of the Beehives", where does the narrator live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Libereso from "Adam, One Afternoon".
2. What is the story "Mine Field" about?
3. In "Hunger in Bevera", what happens to Bisma?
4. In "A Goatherd at Luncheon", how does the narrator perceive the Goatherd?
5. In "Big Fish, Little Fish", how do Zefferino and Signorina De Magistris' outlooks on life differ?
6. In "Man in the Wasteland", what does Baciccin complain about?
7. In "Lazy Sons", what does Pietro think of his brother, Andrea? Why is this ironic?
8. In "Fear on the Footpath", what does Binda think he sees?
9. In "A Ship Loaded with Crabs", how does the Dolori gang perceive the Arenella gang at the beginning of the story?
10. In "Man in the Wasteland", how does Baciccin ruin hunting for the boy and his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the roles of women in the Postwar Stories.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the theme of waste in
1) "Man in the Wasteland" and
2) "Lazy Sons"
making sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Italo Calvino is a critically acclaimed author.
Part 1) Describe Calvino's popularity and place in history as a writer.
Part 2) Explain why he was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)