|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Lazy Sons", who is the narrator?
2. In "A Ship Loaded with Crabs", what do the Dolori boys find below deck?
3. In "Hunger at Bevera", what does Bisma bring back to the citizens of Bevera?
4. In "Man in the Wasteland", what is Baciccin's nickname?
5. In "Animal Woods", who tends to confiscate livestock?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Animal Woods", how does the German soldier die?
2. In "The House of the Beehives", what crime was committed? Describe it.
3. In "Big Fish, Little Fish", how do Zefferino and Signorina De Magistris' outlooks on life differ?
4. In "A Ship Loaded with Crabs", how does the Dolori gang perceive the Arenella gang at the beginning of the story?
5. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", how does the one man escape?
6. In "Lazy Sons", what does Pietro think of his brother, Andrea? Why is this ironic?
7. Describe the little boy in "The Crow Comes Last".
8. In "Man in the Wasteland", what does Baciccin complain about?
9. Describe Baciccin of "Man in the Wasteland".
10. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", who are the three men and why are they in their predicament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Highlight and explain the author's use of metaphor and/or symbolism, perhaps mentioning:
A) "One Of The Three Is Still Alive"
B) "Big Fish, Little Fish"
C) "Adam, One Afternoon"
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the main characters in
1) "The Adventure of a Photographer"
2) "The Adventure of a Traveler" and
3) "The Adventure of a Reader"
neglect to focus on reality. Discuss how and why this is important.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the story, being sure to touch upon:
a) Outlooks on life
d) Perception of other classes
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)