|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Crow Comes Last", where does the soldier hide?
2. In "Animal Woods", who tends to confiscate livestock?
3. In "Lazy Sons", what do Pietro and Andrea like to do?
4. In "Adam, One Afternoon", what is Maria-nunziata's profession?
5. In "The House of the Beehives", what does the narrator do to the dark woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", who are the three men and why are they in their predicament?
2. In "Fear on the Footpath", what does Binda think he sees?
3. What is the surprise ending of "A Ship Loaded with Crabs"?
4. What is the family dynamic portrayed in "A Goatherd at Luncheon"?
5. Describe the narrator in "The House of the Beehives".
6. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", what does the one man survive through?
7. What is the story "Mine Field" about?
8. Describe the unarmed man in "Going to Headquarters".
9. In "One of the Three is Still Alive", how does the one man escape?
10. In "Big Fish, Little Fish", how do Zefferino and Signorina De Magistris' outlooks on life differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What literary technique did you feel the author used most effectively in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss how the mood and tone of a story influences a reader's perception, perhaps mentioning:
A) "Hunger at Bevera"
B) "Transit Bed"
C) "Desire in November" or
D) "One of the Three Is Still Alive"
Essay Topic 3
Prostitution is mentioned in many of the stories. Explore and discuss why it is important and why it is necessary.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)