|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of family is Todd said to have come from?
2. Where are the winos buried?
3. Who does Andy confide in about his plans to escape?
4. Why is Tommy Williams transferred to a different prison?
5. Where does Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Andy when he has a fight with the guard, Sam Norton and why does it occur?
2. What do Todd's parents think of him?
3. What does Todd give Kurt for Christmas? Why does Todd do this and what does he make Kurt do with the present?
4. What do the nightmares that Kurt and Todd have about the concentration camps cause them to do?
5. What does Kurt tell Ed French will happen if Todd does not improve his grades?
6. In exchange for helping the guards, what does Andy Dufresne ask for?
7. What does Andy hide for Red Smith to find after he is paroled from prison and why does Andy do this?
8. What does Todd say he will do if Kurt does not do what he says? Does Kurt agree to his demands?
9. Why is Kurt Dussander hiding in America?
10. What ailment does Kurt suffer and what could have caused it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Body: Vern is often referred to as simple and feeble throughout the story. He is also said to be afraid of adventure. If this is true, why do you believe he had friends who often led him into trouble as well as making him do things that he was afraid of? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Breathing Method: Emlyn McCarron's story about Sandra Stansfield was very unbelievable. Do you think the story was a complete fabrication or do you believe there was some truth to the story? Explain why you think so.
Essay Topic 3
Apt Pupil: How did you feel about Kurt by the end of the story? Did you want to see him succeed at the end of the story and become successful and find a way out of his situation? Did your opinions of him have anything to do with him being one of the main characters in the story? Even though Kurt was a bad guy, is it hard to watch the main character in a story fall?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)