|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year does Andy escape?
2. Who is wrongly accused of murder in Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption?
3. Why is Kurt Dussander in hiding?
4. Who does Linda Collins Dufresne have an affair with?
5. What does Red Smith drive at the end of the "Rite Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Red Smith receive in the mail and what is unique about it?
2. Describe Andy Dufresne's prison cell.
3. Explain why the postcard that Red Smith receives has nothing on it.
4. What does Andy hide for Red Smith to find after he is paroled from prison and why does Andy do this?
5. What does Kurt do in order to keep Todd out of trouble at school? What comes from his actions?
6. Describe how Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption ends.
7. How does Andy keep his plans for escaping a secret?
8. What does Andy agree to do for the prison guards and how is he able to?
9. What happens when Andy returns from solitary confinement?
10. Why does Todd Bowden want to talk to Kurt Dussander?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Body: Vern is often referred to as simple and feeble throughout the story. He is also said to be afraid of adventure. If this is true, why do you believe he had friends who often led him into trouble as well as making him do things that he was afraid of? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Apt Pupil: Todd was afraid to tell his parents about his failing grades. This led him to send Kurt Dussander to a parent-teacher meeting and pose as his grandfather. Why do you think Todd was so afraid to tell his parents the truth? Do you think Todd was ashamed of his behavior and his failing grades? Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Apt Pupil: After finding out Kurt had been turned in to authorities and then committed suicide, Todd went on a shooting spree which eventually led to his death. Do you believe Kurt and Todd had any other way out tragic endings? Explain your answer.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)