|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does the novel begin?
2. How does Plum learn about the Baptist Weight Loss Plan?
3. In what month is Plum's bariatric surgery scheduled?
4. Plum says that her daily activities have kept her within what radius of her house for many years?
5. In what location does Plum have the nervous breakdown that causes her to consider committing suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Plum's job at Austen Media and how she comes to inhabit it.
2. How does the author portray Eulayla Baptist's husband Allen as playing a major role in her torturous weight loss plan?
3. What does Plum say has always been her mother's perspective regarding Plum's body?
4. What is the identifying feature of Leeta's appearance?
5. What act does Dr. Ormond Brown believe has precipitated the murders of Michael Simmons and Davis Green?
6. What allusion is being made within the line, "On top of a cabinet, a large orchid was trapped under a bell jar" (85) and what is the author's purpose for using it?
7. How does the terrorist organization known as Jennifer claim responsibility for the murders of Michael Simmons and Davis Green?
8. Discuss the difference between Alicia and Plum at the start of the novel.
9. What are Plum's mother's feelings regarding Plum's job at Austen Media?
10. What is the author's purpose for including the enormous list of lipstick colors within the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the topic of discovery treated within the novel and how does its treatment relate to the book's repeated allusions to Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the author's messages regarding rebellion within her novel Dietland.
Essay Topic 3
How do the themes of fellowship and collaboration function within the novel and what is the author's message regarding these themes?
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)