|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What request does Julia make of Plum the first time they meet?
(a) She asks Plum to give her the email addresses of the teenage girls who have written to Kitty.
(b) She asks Plum to spy on Kitty for her.
(c) She asks Plum to go to dinner with her.
(d) She asks Plum to quit her job with Austen Media.
2. How many sisters does Julia have who, like her, engage in spying on the fashion, beauty, and media industries?
3. After what number week of her Baptist Diet does Plum lose every ounce of energy?
4. What type of structure is the Calliope House?
(a) A warehouse.
(b) Three duplexes joined together.
(c) Two townhouses joined together.
(d) One large mansion.
5. Plum says that her daily activities have kept her within what radius of her house for many years?
(a) A five-mile radius.
(b) A one-mile radius.
(c) A five-block radius.
(d) A two-block radius.
Short Answer Questions
1. Plum says that after bariatric surgery, "in one year, it would be possible to lose more than" (7) how many pounds?
2. When Verena asks Plum what would happen if she is already living her real life and will never lose weight, what is Plum's reply?
3. What word is written on the wadded up pieces of paper found within the throats of both Michael Simmons and Davis Green?
4. Why does Plum turn down Carmen's invitation to join Carmen and her girlfriend for dinner?
5. What does Julia have tattooed all over her chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the significance of Plum's clothing organization choices in the first part of the novel.
2. What is ironic about Plum's reaction to her encounter with Janine at the Baptist Diet meeting?
3. How does the author portray Eulayla Baptist's husband Allen as playing a major role in her torturous weight loss plan?
4. What does Plum say has always been her mother's perspective regarding Plum's body?
5. What are Plum's mother's feelings regarding Plum's job at Austen Media?
6. What allusion is being made within the line, "On top of a cabinet, a large orchid was trapped under a bell jar" (85) and what is the author's purpose for using it?
7. Discuss the difference between Alicia and Plum at the start of the novel.
8. What does Plum mean when she says that it takes her awhile to "fully inhabit" (83) her New York life again after she finishes speaking to her mother on the phone?
9. Describe Plum's job at Austen Media and how she comes to inhabit it.
10. What is the significance of the news story about Jayson Fox, the young rap star from Los Angeles?
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)