|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what location does Plum first notice that a girl is following her?
(a) The library.
(b) Her own home.
(c) The cafe.
(d) The gas station.
2. What request does Julia make of Plum the first time they meet?
(a) She asks Plum to give her the email addresses of the teenage girls who have written to Kitty.
(b) She asks Plum to quit her job with Austen Media.
(c) She asks Plum to spy on Kitty for her.
(d) She asks Plum to go to dinner with her.
3. In what New York City burrough does Plum live?
(a) Staten Island.
4. What word is written on the wadded up pieces of paper found within the throats of both Michael Simmons and Davis Green?
5. Verena explains that the Calliope House used to serve as what type of organization between the 1920s and the 1970s?
(a) A house for unwed mothers.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A dentistry practice.
(d) A wedding reception hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Plum?
2. Verena tells Plum that if Plum has bariatric surgery, then she will no longer be the spitting image of which one of her family members?
3. How many teenage girls' email addresses does Plum have as a result of her position at Austen Media?
4. At what time of day does Plum say she usually "slips into despair" (12) each day?
5. How old is Verena?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author portray Eulayla Baptist's husband Allen as playing a major role in her torturous weight loss plan?
2. How does Janine's outburst at the Baptist Diet meeting foreshadow Plum's own coming changes?
3. What information does Julia reveal about Leeta during her first meeting with Plum?
4. What is the significance of Leeta's name?
5. What act does Dr. Ormond Brown believe has precipitated the murders of Michael Simmons and Davis Green?
6. What allusion is being made within the line, "On top of a cabinet, a large orchid was trapped under a bell jar" (85) and what is the author's purpose for using it?
7. Discuss the difference between Alicia and Plum at the start of the novel.
8. What is ironic about Plum's reaction to her encounter with Janine at the Baptist Diet meeting?
9. What has always been Plum's dream career?
10. What does Plum say has always been her mother's perspective regarding Plum's body?
This section contains 1,436 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)