|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what location does Plum first meet Marlowe?
(a) Carmen's cafe.
(b) Plum's apartment.
(c) The Calliope House.
(d) Cafe Rose.
2. What quality is present within all of the clothes Plum chooses when she goes shopping?
3. What action had Marlowe taken during her time in Italy that had endangered her contract with NBC?
(a) She had given an interview to a rival broadcasting station.
(b) She had gotten a tattoo.
(c) She had published an expose of NBC.
(d) She had cut off her hair.
4. Before her outing with Marlowe, Plum has not worn high heels since what event in her life?
(a) Her junior prom.
(b) Her senior prom.
(c) Her college graduation.
(d) Her high school graduation.
5. What is the name of the foundation next door to The Calliope House that gets frequent bomb threats?
(a) The Bessie Cantor Foundation for Women and Girls.
(b) The Bessie Cantor Foundation for Peace and Understanding.
(c) The Bessie Cantor Foundation for the Fight Against Islamophobia.
(d) The Bessie Cantor Foundation for Education and Philanthropy.
6. For what reason do Marlowe and Plum get kicked out of the Strippercise class?
(a) They refuse to participate.
(b) Plum whistles at the male janitor who walks by.
(c) They are laughing too loudly.
(d) Marlowe makes unpopular comments.
7. The dermatologist tells Plum that she is no longer allowed to take what action?
(a) Eating saturated fats.
(b) Washing her face with soap.
(c) Going out in the sun.
8. Where does Plum immediately go when the women are allowed back into The Calliope House at dawn the morning after the bomb threat?
(a) The backyard.
(b) Her bedroom.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The shower.
9. On what part of Marlowe's body is her tattoo that reads, "Women don't want to be me, men don't want to fuck me" (133)?
(a) Her left wrist.
(b) The back of her neck.
(c) Her left bicep.
(d) Her right ankle.
10. When Plum remarks that she feels "weird" (143) after going to the waxing salon, to what is she referring?
(a) Her bleached eyebrows.
(b) Her tinted eyelashes.
(c) Her Brazilian wax results.
(d) Her hairless arms.
11. How does Luz, the teenage victim of the gang-rape, commit suicide?
(a) She drowns herself.
(b) She uses a gun.
(c) She jumps in front of a train.
(d) She hangs herself.
12. What object does Plum steal from Verena's desk just before she flees from The Calliope House in her new white poplin dress?
(a) A pen.
(b) A bottle of Dabsitaf.
(c) A letter opener.
(d) A book about dieting.
13. Marlowe tells Plum that she should have learned from Kitty by now that "being a woman means being a" (144) what?
(b) A faker.
14. What is one place NOT mentioned in published rumors about Leeta's whereabouts?
(a) El Salvador.
15. To what aspect of Marlowe's story about Italy does Plum most strongly relate?
(a) The wide availability of pasta in one neighborhood.
(b) The reliance on body language for communication.
(c) The thrill of travel.
(d) The exhilaration of invisibility.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image does Plum say is a "reminder that the Jennifer phenomenon" (211) is not a joke?
2. What is the name of Plum's first blind date?
3. What forgotten item does Plum find within an interior pocket of her backpack while trying to pay at the diner?
4. When the man on the subway platform refers to Plum as a "that" (148), what is the man wearing?
5. What activity does Julia tell Plum that she hates to do during their conversation in Plum's bedroom?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)