|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last sound described in "Polymnia: Sacred Poetry"?
(a) A child laughing.
(b) Bells ringing.
(c) A window creaking.
(d) Water dropping.
2. What did Mrs. Claxton's sister threaten to do before the friend wrote the letter?
(a) Kill the children.
(b) Leave her husband.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Divulge information.
3. What effect do Mrs. Claxton's letters have on her sister?
(a) They make her feel guilty.
(b) They make her tense.
(c) They calm her.
(d) They cheer her.
4. Which color appears first in the succession of colors described in "Terpischore: Choral Dance"?
5. Which best describes the syntax of "Elitere: Lyric Poetry"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Polymnia: Sacred Poetry," what forms an opaque screen between earth and sky?
2. How does the child respond to the woman's gift in "Polymnia: Sacred Poetry"?
3. In 'second memory,' what color marks the virginity of the bride?
4. What color light encircles the bowl the woman hands the girl in "Polymnia: Sacred Poetry"?
5. How long has the young girl in "Polymnia: Sacred Poetry" been walking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the contents of the chart in "Polymnia: Sacred Poetry."
2. Discuss the use of light and dark in the opening of "Elitere: Lyric Poetry."
3. Examine the camera directions which describe the woman's experience in the cinema in "Erato: Love Poetry."
4. Discuss the parallel between the ritual of becoming a nun and that of becoming a wife.
5. What is the significance of the series of concentric circles in "Polymnia: Sacred Poetry"?
6. Discuss the passage titled "Memory." Why does it receive a capitalized title?
7. Discuss the ending of the work. Why does it end with a child looking out a window?
8. Why is the young girl at the well in "Polymnia: Sacred Poetry"?
9. Discuss at least two possible meanings of the partition imagery which appears in "Elitere: Lyric Poetry."
10. Describe the young girl's attire in "Polymnia: Sacred Poetry."
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)