|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the translation exercises in the Opening, which city does the traveler leave?
2. What did the Japanese laws mandate regarding pipes?
(a) They were to be long, made from bamboo.
(b) They were only to be used to smoke tobacco.
(c) They were to be short, unlike the traditional Korean bamboo pipes.
(d) They were forbidden.
3. What type of illustrations appear in the "Urania: Astronomy"?
(a) Large Korean characters.
(b) Portraits of fallen heroes.
(c) Medical diagrams.
(d) Photographs of women.
4. In the "Urania: Astronomy" section, what is the purpose of exhalation?
(a) To express guilt.
(b) To express affirmation.
(c) To express grief.
(d) To express frustration.
5. On what date does the narrator write her mother from Seoul?
(a) June 25.
(b) April 19.
(c) April 25.
(d) June 19.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image opens "Clio: History"?
2. What does the narrator do during confession?
3. In "Clio: History," how many times does the anonymous woman invoke Ahn Joong Kun's name?
4. At the beginning of "Calliope: Epic Poetry," how old is Mother?
5. What format does the conversation in the confessional take?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cha include images of the circulatory system, the nervous system, and the respiratory system in in "Urania: Astronomy," a section dedicated to astronomy?
2. Describe Mother's ideas about what people do just before death.
3. Why is Yu Guan Soon's birth dated on the lunar calendar while her death is dated on the Julian calendar?
4. Discuss the significance of the title which first appears in the "Opening." What does "dictee" mean? How does it fit the work?
5. How do Demeter and Sibyl appear as figures in "Melpomene: Tragedy"?
6. In "Urania: Astronomy," what does the tongue image symbolize?
7. Discuss the significance of Mary in the "Opening." When does she appear? How is she important?
8. In "Urania: Astronomy," how do pages and punctuation relate to the focus on breath?
9. Describe the process Mother undergoes to become an American citizen.
10. Why is Mother born in Manchuria?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)