|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After she stretches out, what does the anonymous woman in "Melpomene: Tragedy" do?
(a) Falls asleep.
(b) Attempts to speak.
(c) Reaches forward toward the light.
(d) Pulls her coat up to her chin.
2. What year did Yu Guan Soon die?
3. Which word appears in italics at the end of "Melpomene: Tragedy"?
4. How many children were in Guan Soon's family?
5. Who does the narrator fetch to persuade her brother not to participate in the demonstration?
(a) A school teacher.
(b) The tutor.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one does the narrator NOT describe in "Urania: Astronomy"?
2. What part of Mother's being is trapped in Korea?
3. During the Japanese occupation, what edict came out regarding men's grooming?
4. In the translation exercises in the Opening, which city does the traveler leave?
5. How do the children greet Mother upon her return?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Calliope: Epic Poetry," how does the narrator attempt to communicate with her mother?
2. How do Demeter and Sibyl appear as figures in "Melpomene: Tragedy"?
3. Discuss the significance of the image at the end of "Clio: History."
4. Where does Mother teach?
5. According to the narrator of "Clio: History," why has everything been lost to the Japanese?
6. What is happening in the opening passage of "Melpomene: Tragedy"?
7. Why does Cha include the letter from the Koreans living in Hawaii to the President of the United States?
8. Describe the circumstances of the narrator's brother's death.
9. Describe the process Mother undergoes to become an American citizen.
10. What is the significance of the italicized passages in the "Opening"?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)