|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After she bites, what does the narrator in "Urania: Astronomy" want to do?
2. In "Clio: History," whose name does the anonymous woman call three times?
(a) Jeanne d'Arc.
(c) Yu Guan Soon.
3. From which sources does news of the September conflict emerge?
4. What year did Yu Guan Soon die?
5. Which ritual occurs first on the First Friday?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which language opens the book?
2. What is placed on the tongue in the Opening?
3. After she stretches out, what does the anonymous woman in "Melpomene: Tragedy" do?
4. In the "Urania: Astronomy" section, what is the purpose of exhalation?
5. How many children were in Guan Soon's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cha include a quoted section of Japanese-Korean history in "Clio: History"?
2. Discuss the significance of the title which first appears in the "Opening." What does "dictee" mean? How does it fit the work?
3. What is the significance of the italicized passages in the "Opening"?
4. Why is Yu Guan Soon's birth dated on the lunar calendar while her death is dated on the Julian calendar?
5. Discuss the laws the Japanese imposed on the Koreans.
6. What is Melpomene's purpose at the end of "Melpomene: Tragedy"?
7. In "Urania: Astronomy," why does the poetry appear in side-by-side translation?
8. Describe the medical procedure in "Urania: Astronomy."
9. Where does Mother teach?
10. Why does Cha include the letter from the Koreans living in Hawaii to the President of the United States?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)