|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What image opens "Clio: History"?
(a) A photograph of a leaf.
(b) A photograph of a young woman revolutionary.
(c) Korean characters.
(d) A photograph of soldiers.
2. What calendar dates the birth of Yu Guan Soon?
(a) The Korean Calendar.
(b) The English Calendar.
(c) The Lunar Calendar.
(d) The Julian Calendar.
3. Which of the following is absent from the Korea that the narrator visits?
(a) Blood stains on the streets and sidewalks.
(b) Soldiers dressed in green lining every street.
(c) Military vehicles on every road.
(d) Pregnant women lifting sandbags to prepare for night battles.
4. Which two figures does Cha yoke together at the end of "Melpomene: Tragedy"?
(a) Demeter and Sybil.
(b) Sibyl and Persephone.
(c) Demeter and Melpomene.
(d) Demeter and Persephone.
5. Which one does the narrator NOT describe in "Urania: Astronomy"?
Short Answer Questions
1. After how many years does the narrator return to Korea?
2. In "Melpomene: Tragedy," what does the phrase "nation against nation multiplied nations against nations against themselves" refer to?
3. How do the children greet Mother upon her return?
4. What does the narrator bite in "Urania: Astronomy"?
5. What is the origin of the black ash described in the Opening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the break down in the translation exercise in the opening, particularly beginning with exercise number 5 in the second set of translations. Why does the grammar, tone, and voice shift?
2. In "Urania: Astronomy," how do pages and punctuation relate to the focus on breath?
3. Describe Mother's ideas about what people do just before death.
4. Why does Cha include the letter from the Koreans living in Hawaii to the President of the United States?
5. What is Mother's MAH-UHM? Where is it trapped?
6. In "Urania: Astronomy," why does the poetry appear in side-by-side translation?
7. Why is Yu Guan Soon's birth dated on the lunar calendar while her death is dated on the Julian calendar?
8. Where does Mother teach?
9. Discuss the significance of breath in "Urania: Astronomy."
10. Explain the letter to Mother in "Melpomene: Tragedy."
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)