|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does Mother teach the children in?
2. What calendar dates the birth of Yu Guan Soon?
(a) The Julian Calendar.
(b) The English Calendar.
(c) The Korean Calendar.
(d) The Lunar Calendar.
3. In "Clio: History," whose name does the anonymous woman call three times?
(c) Yu Guan Soon.
(d) Jeanne d'Arc.
4. In the Opening, which languages are the translation exercises written in?
(a) French and English.
(b) French and Korean.
(c) Korean and French.
(d) Korean and English.
5. According to the anonymous narrator in "Clio: History," without which of the following can there be no people?
(a) An anthem.
(b) A language.
(c) A nation or an ancestry.
(d) A leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Japan do as it assumed control over Korea?
2. Which ritual contains nine of each action?
3. In the Opening, which image is used to describe the anonymous woman's difficulty?
4. What medical procedure begins "Urania: Astronomy"?
5. How many volunteer resistance members were killed by Japanese troops on September 12, 1907?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances of the narrator's brother's death.
2. Discuss the significance of breath in "Urania: Astronomy."
3. In "Urania: Astronomy," how do pages and punctuation relate to the focus on breath?
4. In "Urania: Astronomy," what does the tongue image symbolize?
5. Why does Cha include the letter from the Koreans living in Hawaii to the President of the United States?
6. Describe Mother's ideas about what people do just before death.
7. How does the speaker in the "Opening" perceive religion?
8. In "Calliope: Epic Poetry," how does the narrator attempt to communicate with her mother?
9. Discuss the break down in the translation exercise in the opening, particularly beginning with exercise number 5 in the second set of translations. Why does the grammar, tone, and voice shift?
10. Why does Cha include images of the circulatory system, the nervous system, and the respiratory system in in "Urania: Astronomy," a section dedicated to astronomy?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)