|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Melpomene: Tragedy," what evidence of conflicts past does the narrator see?
(a) Blood stains on the sidewalk.
(b) War-torn buildings.
(c) Unmarked graves.
(d) Barbed wire.
2. During the Japanese occupation, what edict came out regarding men's grooming?
(a) All men were to wear a top knot.
(b) All men were to cut their hair short.
(c) All men were to wear plain clothes.
(d) All men were to shave their beards.
3. Under the new Japanese assembly, how did the King govern?
(a) Per the advice of ministers.
(b) Under the authority of the emperor.
(c) Not at all; he was replaced by a president.
(d) In an absolute fashion.
4. What format does the conversation in the confessional take?
(b) Question and answer.
5. How many daughters did Guan Soon's family have?
6. In "Urania: Astronomy," where does the nurse begin her procedure?
(a) The right arm.
(b) The urinary tract.
(c) The chest.
(d) The left arm.
7. What does Mother do with her wages?
(a) Funds the childrens' education.
(b) Pays room and board, then sends the rest home.
(c) Pays off loans.
(d) Maintains a modest existence with enough to eat.
8. Upon receiving citizenship in the U.S., what document does Mother receive?
(a) An identification badge.
(b) A U.S. Passport.
(c) A certificate.
(d) She receives no documents.
9. When does Mother take the train home?
10. How is the first English paragraph in the Opening punctuated?
(a) With empty spaces.
(b) With skipped lines.
(c) With punctuation words, such as "period."
(d) With punctuation marks, such as quotations.
11. How many provinces was France formerly divided into?
12. What part of Mother's being is trapped in Korea?
(a) Her mind.
(b) Her MAH-UHM.
(c) Her body.
(d) Her UHM-MAH.
13. What does the narrator bite in "Urania: Astronomy"?
(a) The arm.
(b) The finger.
(c) The lip.
(d) The tongue.
14. What medical procedure begins "Urania: Astronomy"?
(a) A nurse draws blood.
(b) A nurse takes a urine sample.
(c) A nurse measures blood pressure.
(d) A nurse measures respiration.
15. In the Opening, which languages are the translation exercises written in?
(a) Korean and French.
(b) French and Korean.
(c) Korean and English.
(d) French and English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is silent during "Urania: Astronomy"?
2. In "Urania: Astronomy," what does the nurse wrap around the patient's arm?
3. After she stretches out, what does the anonymous woman in "Melpomene: Tragedy" do?
4. What does the narrator do during confession?
5. Under the new Japanese regime, how did the wives of prominent men fare?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)