|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the first English paragraph in the Opening punctuated?
(a) With skipped lines.
(b) With punctuation words, such as "period."
(c) With punctuation marks, such as quotations.
(d) With empty spaces.
2. In "Urania: Astronomy," the speaker has a hard time distinguishing rain from which of the following?
(a) Running water.
3. Which of the following images does the narrator use to describe the war in Korea?
(a) A father that eats his children.
(b) An insect that devours its mate.
(c) A child that kills the parent.
(d) A dog that returns to its vomit.
4. Which ritual contains nine of each action?
(b) Late rites.
5. At the beginning of "Calliope: Epic Poetry," how old is Mother?
6. What part of Mother's being is trapped in Korea?
(a) Her mind.
(b) Her body.
(c) Her MAH-UHM.
(d) Her UHM-MAH.
7. In the translation exercises in the Opening, which city does the traveler leave?
8. How many daughters did Guan Soon's family have?
9. What does the narrator do during confession?
(a) Praise the priest for his service.
(b) Remain speechless.
(c) Fabricate sins.
(d) Confess all and beg for absolution.
10. What grade does Mother teach?
(a) 5th grade.
(b) 3rd grade.
(c) 2nd grade.
(d) 1st grade.
11. What is placed on the tongue in the Opening?
(b) A wafer.
12. What year does Mother graduate from college?
13. How does Mother repay her college loans?
(a) By working as a petty laborer in a camp.
(b) By working for the Manchurian government.
(c) By working as a kitchen aid.
(d) By teaching in an assigned post in the country.
14. How do the children greet Mother upon her return?
(a) With money.
(b) With gifts.
(c) With food.
(d) Sullenly, expecting lessons.
15. Under the new Japanese regime, how did the wives of prominent men fare?
(a) They were stripped of all authority.
(b) They were given military ranks alongside the men.
(c) They became concubines to the emperor.
(d) They were given titles appropriate to their ranking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is absent from the Korea that the narrator visits?
2. In "Clio: History," how many times does the anonymous woman invoke Ahn Joong Kun's name?
3. What type of illustrations appear in the "Urania: Astronomy"?
4. What is Mother's refuge?
5. How does the "Opening" end?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)