|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the Japanese occupation, what edict came out regarding men's grooming?
(a) All men were to shave their beards.
(b) All men were to wear a top knot.
(c) All men were to cut their hair short.
(d) All men were to wear plain clothes.
2. What year did Yu Guan Soon die?
3. In "Melpomene: Tragedy," what evidence of conflicts past does the narrator see?
(a) Unmarked graves.
(b) War-torn buildings.
(c) Barbed wire.
(d) Blood stains on the sidewalk.
4. Which two figures does Cha yoke together at the end of "Melpomene: Tragedy"?
(a) Sibyl and Persephone.
(b) Demeter and Sybil.
(c) Demeter and Persephone.
(d) Demeter and Melpomene.
5. When Mother arrives, how long has it been since a female teacher taught at the school?
(a) There has never been a female teacher.
(b) 13 years.
(c) 6 years.
(d) 3 years.
6. What is Mother's ethnicity?
7. How long must Mother work to repay her debt?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 36 years.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 1 year.
8. What is the origin of the black ash described in the Opening?
(a) Military conflict.
(b) A great fire.
(c) A volcanic eruption.
(d) Palm Hosannah.
9. What is the major struggle in the Opening?
(a) The woman's struggle for recognition.
(b) The woman's struggle to speak.
(c) A conflict between wife and husband.
(d) A conflict between mother and daughter.
10. Under the new Japanese regime, how did the wives of prominent men fare?
(a) They became concubines to the emperor.
(b) They were given titles appropriate to their ranking.
(c) They were given military ranks alongside the men.
(d) They were stripped of all authority.
11. In "Clio: History," whose name does the anonymous woman call three times?
(a) Jeanne d'Arc.
(d) Yu Guan Soon.
12. How many daughters did Guan Soon's family have?
13. How many years of history were lost during the Japanese occupation?
14. In "Melpomene: Tragedy," what color are the soldiers' uniforms?
15. On what day did Guan Soon lead a revolutionary protest?
(a) March 15, 1919.
(b) March 1, 1920.
(c) March 1, 1919.
(d) January 1, 1919.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Clio: History," how many times does the anonymous woman invoke Ahn Joong Kun's name?
2. Which of the following images does the narrator use to describe the war in Korea?
3. On what date does the narrator write her mother from Seoul?
4. How does the "Opening" end?
5. Which of the following images does the narrator use to describe the bombs as her mother described them to her?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)