|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the fluid that emerges during the medical procedure in "Urania: Astronomy"?
2. In "Clio: History," whose name does the anonymous woman call three times?
(b) Jeanne d'Arc.
(d) Yu Guan Soon.
3. After she stretches out, what does the anonymous woman in "Melpomene: Tragedy" do?
(a) Attempts to speak.
(b) Falls asleep.
(c) Reaches forward toward the light.
(d) Pulls her coat up to her chin.
4. Which two figures does Cha yoke together at the end of "Melpomene: Tragedy"?
(a) Sibyl and Persephone.
(b) Demeter and Sybil.
(c) Demeter and Melpomene.
(d) Demeter and Persephone.
5. How many languages does Mother speak?
6. What is the major struggle in the Opening?
(a) A conflict between wife and husband.
(b) A conflict between mother and daughter.
(c) The woman's struggle for recognition.
(d) The woman's struggle to speak.
7. In the Opening, which image is used to describe the anonymous woman's difficulty?
8. What is Mother's ethnicity?
9. Who is the author of the quote which proceeds the Opening?
(a) Joan of Arc.
(d) Theresa Hak Kyung Cha.
10. What calendar dates the birth of Yu Guan Soon?
(a) The English Calendar.
(b) The Korean Calendar.
(c) The Julian Calendar.
(d) The Lunar Calendar.
11. In "Melpomene: Tragedy," what color are the soldiers' uniforms?
12. On what day did Guan Soon lead a revolutionary protest?
(a) March 1, 1920.
(b) January 1, 1919.
(c) March 15, 1919.
(d) March 1, 1919.
13. In "Melpomene: Tragedy," why are students shot during the demonstration?
(a) For shouting violent insults.
(b) For throwing rocks at the soldiers.
(c) For joining the Japanese troops.
(d) For wearing school uniforms.
14. How long must Mother work to repay her debt?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 36 years.
(d) 1 year.
15. What does the tutor do when the brother refuses to obey?
(a) Yells for the speaker's uncle.
(b) Leaves the house.
(c) Drags him away from the demonstration.
(d) Strikes him across the face.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following images does the narrator use to describe the war in Korea?
2. Under the new Japanese assembly, how did the King govern?
3. Where was Mother born?
4. Upon receiving citizenship in the U.S., what document does Mother receive?
5. In "Melpomene: Tragedy," what does the phrase "nation against nation multiplied nations against nations against themselves" refer to?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)