|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gram's special announcement she makes as she serves the warm apple pie?
(a) The lawyers and judge will soon make a home visit to complete the adoption.
(b) She has found a way to get additional financial aid.
(c) The adoption process is unnecessary; the kids are legally her family.
(d) She has completed the legal adoption of the kids.
2. Why does Dicey return to the motel alone without Gram?
(a) Gram spends the night sitting up with Momma.
(b) Gram has been invited to dinner by Mrs. Preston.
(c) They need time away from each other.
(d) Dicey is tired from the day's activity and cannot stay awake.
3. What does Jeff say he was hoping for when he gives a ride to the farm?
(a) Jeff was hoping to be invited to supper.
(b) Jeff was hoping to meet Gram.
(c) Jeff was hoping to meet James.
(d) Jeff was hoping to meet Maybeth.
4. What is the class reaction when Mr. Chappelle concludes reading Mina's essay?
(a) Impatience about getting all the essays passed out.
(b) No one seems to be paying attention.
(c) Laughter and comments of praise.
(d) Uncomfortable silence followed by random speaking out.
5. What is a comforting thought to Dicey as they sit at the table in the evening?
(a) Current troubles of each will pass, the most important thing is they are together.
(b) Gram seems to be getting used to having them at her farm.
(c) Gram adopting all four will mean they can stay together.
(d) Life at the farm is better than in Massachusetts.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they walk, what does Mina blurt out, then immediately regret?
2. What is the class reaction when Mr. Chappelle concludes reading Dicey's essay?
3. What is Gram's reaction to the suggestion she is a social oddball?
4. What does Dicey come to realize as she and Gram end their conversation by the fire?
5. What is Mr. Lingerle's surprise when they arrive at the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Limgerle being a Thanksgiving dinner guest demonstrate is happening with the family?
2. When Jeff shows up uninvited at the barn, what does the conclusion of the day indicate about Dicey's progress.
3. The home economics teacher Miss Eversleigh gives a short speech about how important it is to know the life skills she is teaching in class. What is Dicey's reaction to the speech?
4. What does the English teacher comment about Dicey's essay that she refuses to respond to?
5. What does Dicey conclude when she first sees the failing home ec grade on her report card?
6. What do Dicey's decisions about accepting a ride from Jeff but refusing to invite him in the house say about Dicey's attitude?
7. Mina rises to Dicey's defense for two reasons, one of which is she personally likes Dicey. What is the other reason?
8. What does Dicey learn from Mina about Gram that a new person to town most likely would not know for awhile?
9. What is it about Gram not telling Dicey any advance information about the trip to Boston or Momma's condition that shows Gram's state of mind?
10. What does Dicey immediately do the same night Gram gives the advice about letting others help.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)