|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Dicey concludes talking with the man, what decision does she make?
(a) Liza is coming home with Dicey and Gram.
(b) Liza would enjoy all the wood carvings in the shop.
(c) The man at the glass case is not easy to like.
(d) Dicey cannot spend the remainder of Gram's money.
2. What does Gram harshly tell Dicey will happen if Dicey does not follow Gram's advice?
(a) If you are too emotional, you become too weak to function.
(b) If you do not let go it can make you crazy.
(c) If you do not care about others you will become bitter.
(d) If you do not provide for yourself, others will dominate you.
3. Who is it that shows up as a surprise Saturday afternoon when the group is gathered and singing?
(b) Mr. Lingerle.
4. What does Dicey tell Gram concerning her grade for English?
(a) English grade does not matter in school records.
(b) The English teacher dislikes Dicey because she attended Massachusetts schools.
(c) Dicey will speak with the teacher and get corrected what she thinks is a mistake.
(d) Dicey expects to do much better as the school year goes along.
5. What does Mina offer as the reason Dicey would not cheat?
(a) Dicey would not bother to cheat because she does not care what others think.
(b) Dicey is so smart she does not need to cheat.
(c) Dicey is too timid and cowardly to cheat.
(d) Dicey is part of one of the most honorable families in town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened with Sammy at school that Dicey finds reassuring and amusing?
2. As they walk their bikes slowly, what idea does Mina suggest to Dicey?
3. What does Gram tell Dicey to do with the money she hands to her?
4. What is a comforting thought to Dicey as they sit at the table in the evening?
5. What is Gram's reaction to the suggestion she is a social oddball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gram tell Dicey about life when she hears about how Mina defended Dicey in front of the teacher and the class.
2. What does Dicey immediately do the same night Gram gives the advice about letting others help.
3. What does Mr. Limgerle being a Thanksgiving dinner guest demonstrate is happening with the family?
4. What does Dicey conclude when she first sees the failing home ec grade on her report card?
5. What does Dicey learn from Mina about Gram that a new person to town most likely would not know for awhile?
6. Chapter 7 What is Gram's perspective on the essay, a point of view Dicey had not considered?
7. What does Dicey learn about herself as a result of the brief conversation with Miss Eversleigh outside the market?
8. When Jeff shows up uninvited at the barn, what does the conclusion of the day indicate about Dicey's progress.
9. When the humiliation in the classroom ends, Dicey wordlessly takes her essay from the teacher and leaves the room without expressing her thoughts. What are Dicey's thoughts at that point?
10. What happens as Mina and Dicey walk together toward the farm after Dicey's work at the market?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)