|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 2-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the message in the note from Maybeth's teacher?
(a) Maybeth has been insulting to the teacher.
(b) Maybeth's classroom conduct is out of control.
(c) Maybeth is in danger of failing.
(d) The note requests a meeting the afternoon of the next day.
2. What is the common thread in the kids' background that seems to stifle true joy of life?
(a) Serious physical and mental illness is hereditary in the family.
(b) They have always been poor and looked down upon.
(c) Hardships and loneliness are constant facts of their daily existence.
(d) Their comfortable former life in Massachusetts can never be recaptured.
3. What is Gram's advice to Dicey about life in general?
(a) Life passes by much too quickly.
(b) Life can only be lived one day at a time.
(c) Life is always easy if you smile and dream.
(d) Life is a hard business.
4. What does Dicey like to do for solitary relaxation each afternoon?
(a) She likes to sit in Gram's wooden rocker on the porch.
(b) She looks forward to working on the boat alone each afternoon.
(c) She likes to sit on the hill overlooking the bay.
(d) She likes to nap in the tall grass behind the barn.
5. What is Gram's announcement concerning finances?
(a) The insurance company has approved a cash settlement for the family.
(b) They must go on welfare in order to make ends meet.
(c) The insurance company has denied a cash settlement for the family.
(d) Maryland County Trust Bureau wants to visit the family, possibly to provide funding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Dicey doubt that Maybeth might be retarded?
2. What is Dicey's suggestion to Gram concerning the teacher note?
3. What comment by James causes Dicey to understand why James is brooding?
4. Why does Dicey not want Sammy to help with scraping the boat?
5. What does Dicey do at the store on the first work Saturday that seems to make a big difference?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)