|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to those involved in resistance against the Royals?
2. Who takes lessons with Pepys in in January-June 1663?
3. Where does Pepys attend church as the story opens?
4. When July-December 1661 opens, Pepys is abstaining from what?
5. What is Pepys feelings about his wife's need for a companion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pepys say about civil unrest and a previous attempt to kill the King?
2. What happens when Pepys sees a shepherd with his son?
3. Describe Pepys's reaction to his new financial status in July-December 1660.
4. What is happening with the Navy in July-December 1664?
5. Describe two developments in household affairs that Pepys writes about in July-December 1661.
6. Why does Pepys attend the Catholic Mass in July-December 1662?
7. Describe the science experiment with the dog.
8. How does the business of war consume Pepys time in January-June 1665?
9. What is happening with Pepys relationship with his wife when July-December 1664 opens?
10. What happens when Pepys hires a new companion for his wife in January-June 1665?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Pepys detailed the beatings of his staff so much? What reasons were given for these beatings, and were they accepted at the time? What does this say about him? How did it change your feelings about him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the meaning of why his wife staying up late washing and burning her hand while cooking catches Pepys's attention? What does this say about his feelings about his social status.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the scientific world of Pepys. What are examples of descriptions that seem primitive these days? How do these examples shed light on the 1660s and what life was like then?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)