|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who resists the Royals in July-December 1660?
2. What is Pepys feelings about his wife's need for a companion?
3. What does Pepys learn to do for himself in January-June, 1664?
4. Who is promised a part of the buried treasure if found?
5. When Pepys receives a promotion in January-June 1660, what does he become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pepys hires a new companion for his wife in January-June 1665?
2. What happens in July-December 1661 to show that Pepys and his wife still have a long way to go fashionably?
3. Describe the way that Pepys and his wife fight.
4. What does the need for money in the Navy prompt Pepys to do?
5. What causes Pepys to rejoice in January-June 1663?
6. How successful is Pepys's attempt to abstain from wine?
7. Describe what we know about Pepys affairs as the journal closes.
8. What happens after the Duke of York retires from the Navy?
9. What does Pepys have in common with those in upper society?
10. Explain how Pepys gets new responsibilities in January-June 1665?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the scientific world of Pepys. What are examples of descriptions that seem primitive these days? How do these examples shed light on the 1660s and what life was like then?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Pepys's treatment of his wife with his treatment of the servants.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Pepys is bragging when he writes about going to see a play? How honest is he about his attempt to abstain from wine? What do these things symbolize to him?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)