Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pepys go first when he begins his new promotion?
2. Who is the victim of the crime that Pepys's witnesses in January-June, 1664?
3. In January-June 1661, what does Pepys reveal about the King?
4. Where does Pepys attend church as the story opens?
5. Every March, what does Pepys flash back to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in July-December 1661 to show that Pepys and his wife still have a long way to go fashionably?
2. While the plague has hit London, what is happening in Pepys's and his wife's life?
3. What happens when Pepys sees a shepherd with his son?
4. What does Pepys keep after cleaning in July-December 1664?
5. Pepys also admits something horrible about a crime he witnessed. What did he admit?
6. What does Pepys do to prepare for the possibility that he might be captured?
7. What happens when Pepys hires a new companion for his wife in January-June 1665?
8. Describe what life on the ship is like for Pepys when he sets sail with Lord Sandwich in January-June 1660.
9. Explain the death in the family in January-June 1664.
10. What kind of strange offer does Pepys get from his uncle for 500 pounds?
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Pepys is bragging when he writes about going to see a play? How honest is he about his attempt to abstain from wine? What do these things symbolize to him?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Pepys review of Romeo and Juliet with his liking of tragedy plays. Were you surprised that Pepys did not like Romeo and Juliet? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Pepys's ambition and how it relates to status in society. Explain the motivation behind his ambitions.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)