|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who praises Pepys for his new home and the status it brings?
2. What happens to those involved in resistance against the Royals?
3. Who spends time at Pepys's home grieving after the lung cancer death?
4. Which relative of Pepys lives in the country in July-December 1661?
5. What does Pepys's new job require in January-June 1660?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the financial status of the Navy with the excessive spending of the Royal Family.
2. Explain why Pepys is celebrating the anniversary of the bladder surgery.
3. What is the meaning behind Pepys beginning to discipline the household staff?
4. What is Pepys's reaction to Lord Sandwich's affair with a daughter of Mrs. Becke.
5. What is happening with Pepys relationship with his wife when July-December 1664 opens?
6. Why does Pepys attend the Catholic Mass in July-December 1662?
7. Describe Pepys's thoughts on the King's public healings of the sick.
8. How does the status of the Navy hit an all-time low?
9. What happens when Pepys hires a new companion for his wife in January-June 1665?
10. What is the gossip about the Queen in July-December 1663?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the dire state of the country in January-June, 1665. Who is suffering the most? Who takes advantage of that and how?
Essay Topic 2
Define irony and explain how it relates to what we know about Pepys and his eye disease. How does that relate to the one vice he cannot give up? How much does he write about the eye disease?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Pepys detailed the beatings of his staff so much? What reasons were given for these beatings, and were they accepted at the time? What does this say about him? How did it change your feelings about him?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)