|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lessons does Pepys decide to begin in July-December 1662?
2. How does Pepys revise his vows about plays in January-June, 1664?
3. What does Pepys do each March?
4. What is one thing Pepys's wife does with her appearance in January-June 1661?
5. What is the name of Pepys's wife's companion who lied?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the political unrest in January-June 1668?
2. What happens after the Duke of York retires from the Navy?
3. What does the need for money in the Navy prompt Pepys to do?
4. How do Pepys and his wife show that they care very much about outward appearances in January-June 1661?
5. Describe the honoring of the Queen in January-June 1662.
6. Why does Pepys's plan to lead a frugal life also include some indulgence?
7. Pepys also admits something horrible about a crime he witnessed. What did he admit?
8. Explain the struggle with Pepys's wife's companions in July-December 1663.
9. Why does the status of the Navy worry Pepys?
10. How does the status of the Navy hit an all-time low?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Pepys's ambition and how it relates to status in society. Explain the motivation behind his ambitions.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Pepys. Explain what he is passionate about, his faults, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Pepys review of Romeo and Juliet with his liking of tragedy plays. Were you surprised that Pepys did not like Romeo and Juliet? Why or why not?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)