|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the highlight of January-June 1661, according to Pepys's account?
2. What actually happens to the buried money?
3. Does Pepys approve of Lord Sandwich having affairs?
4. Who takes singing lessons?
5. Why is Pepys jealous of someone in January-June 1663?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the status of the Navy worry Pepys?
2. What is the gossip about the Queen in July-December 1663?
3. Why does Pepys attend the Catholic Mass in July-December 1662?
4. What is the meaning behind Pepys beginning to discipline the household staff?
5. Pepys also admits something horrible about a crime he witnessed. What did he admit?
6. What is Pepys's reaction to Lord Sandwich's affair with a daughter of Mrs. Becke.
7. Explain the struggle with Pepys's wife's companions in July-December 1663.
8. Explain what happens when Pepys arranges the private lessons for his wife.
9. Describe the way that Pepys and his wife fight.
10. Describe what we know about Pepys affairs as the journal closes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the scientific world of Pepys. What are examples of descriptions that seem primitive these days? How do these examples shed light on the 1660s and what life was like then?
Essay Topic 2
What are Pepys' views on adultery? Are there the same rules for husbands and wives? How does his opinion of Lord Sandwich's affair illustrate those views?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Pepys detailed the beatings of his staff so much? What reasons were given for these beatings, and were they accepted at the time? What does this say about him? How did it change your feelings about him?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)