|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies of lung cancer in March 1664?
2. In July-December 1662, who else is commended besides Pepys?
3. Who resists the Royals in July-December 1660?
4. Who takes lessons with Pepys in in January-June 1663?
5. Who spends time at Pepys's home grieving after the lung cancer death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what we know about Pepys's interests that are described as the story opens.
2. What does Pepys admit about a gift for his wife in January-June 1664?
3. When does London start to return to normal?
4. What happens in July-December 1661 to show that Pepys and his wife still have a long way to go fashionably?
5. Explain what happens when Pepys arranges the private lessons for his wife.
6. What is happening with the Navy in July-December 1664?
7. How does the status of the Navy hit an all-time low?
8. Describe two developments in household affairs that Pepys writes about in July-December 1661.
9. How successful is Pepys's attempt to abstain from wine?
10. Explain how Pepys gets new responsibilities in January-June 1665?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the scientific world of Pepys. What are examples of descriptions that seem primitive these days? How do these examples shed light on the 1660s and what life was like then?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the meaning of why his wife staying up late washing and burning her hand while cooking catches Pepys's attention? What does this say about his feelings about his social status.
Essay Topic 3
What are Pepys' views on adultery? Are there the same rules for husbands and wives? How does his opinion of Lord Sandwich's affair illustrate those views?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)