|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies of lung cancer in March 1664?
2. Who grants the king some money for the Navy in January-June 1663?
3. In his lessons in July-December 1662, what does Pepys dedicate most of his time to?
4. What actually happens to the buried money?
5. In January-June 1661, what does the King perform publicly that makes him leave quite an impression with the public?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does London start to return to normal?
2. What happens in July-December 1661 to show that Pepys and his wife still have a long way to go fashionably?
3. Why does Pepys attend the Catholic Mass in July-December 1662?
4. What happens when Pepys's family returns to his father's house in the country?
5. Describe Pepys's thoughts on the King's public healings of the sick.
6. How do some of the doctors explain leaving the city during the plague?
7. How does the status of the Navy hit an all-time low?
8. Describe the honoring of the Queen in January-June 1662.
9. What does Pepys do to prepare for the possibility that he might be captured?
10. What does the need for money in the Navy prompt Pepys to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book constantly describes Pepys's vows of determination to stay away from wine and overspending. We also continue to read about his failings in that aspect. How is Pepys a determined character? In what aspects of his life is he less determined?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Pepys's ambition and how it relates to status in society. Explain the motivation behind his ambitions.
Essay Topic 3
Define irony and explain how it relates to what we know about Pepys and his eye disease. How does that relate to the one vice he cannot give up? How much does he write about the eye disease?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)