|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on New Year's Day 1662 when Pepys wakes up?
2. What is Pepys's country house called?
3. What happens when Pepys tries to replace his wife's companion who lied?
4. In July-December 1662, who else is commended besides Pepys?
5. What does Pepys's new job require in January-June 1660?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pepys's plan to lead a frugal life also include some indulgence?
2. Why does the status of the Navy worry Pepys?
3. Describe Pepys's reaction to his new financial status in July-December 1660.
4. What happens after the Duke of York retires from the Navy?
5. Describe the coronation of the King.
6. What is Pepys wanting to do with his bladder stone in July-December 1664?
7. While the plague has hit London, what is happening in Pepys's and his wife's life?
8. What does the need for money in the Navy prompt Pepys to do?
9. Describe the political unrest in January-June 1668?
10. What does Pepys have in common with those in upper society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Pepys is bragging when he writes about going to see a play? How honest is he about his attempt to abstain from wine? What do these things symbolize to him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the meaning of why his wife staying up late washing and burning her hand while cooking catches Pepys's attention? What does this say about his feelings about his social status.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the domestic violence in Pepys's household. How does it illustrate gender norms of the time? Be sure to talk about possible reasons why Pepys treats his wife the way he does.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)