|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his lessons in July-December 1662, what does Pepys dedicate most of his time to?
2. Who trusts Pepys to watch valuable jewels?
3. What does Pepys nearly injure in January-June 1660 when firing a gun?
4. What is Pepys's country house called?
5. Due to Pepys's position with the government in January-June 1660, what does he get propositioned with right away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Pepys also admits something horrible about a crime he witnessed. What did he admit?
2. Why does Pepys attend the Catholic Mass in July-December 1662?
3. What is Pepys's reaction to Lord Sandwich's affair with a daughter of Mrs. Becke.
4. Why does Pepys's plan to lead a frugal life also include some indulgence?
5. What happens when Pepys tours theaters backstage?
6. What does Pepys admit about a gift for his wife in January-June 1664?
7. Describe what we know about Pepys's interests that are described as the story opens.
8. Describe the way that Pepys and his wife fight.
9. How does Pepys close his journal?
10. What is happening with the Navy in July-December 1664?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the scientific world of Pepys. What are examples of descriptions that seem primitive these days? How do these examples shed light on the 1660s and what life was like then?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of the coronation of the King in January-June 1661.
Essay Topic 3
Define irony and explain how it relates to what we know about Pepys and his eye disease. How does that relate to the one vice he cannot give up? How much does he write about the eye disease?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)