|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday is noted that Pepys observes in January-June 1661?
2. What does Pepys rate as the worst thing he has ever seen in his life?
3. Which relative of Pepys lives in the country in July-December 1661?
4. What does Pepys admit to doing in some of his meetings with the person who has final authority over the Navy?
5. What gift does Pepys receive for his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pepys describe his professional life in January-June 1662?
2. What happens in July-December 1661 to show that Pepys and his wife still have a long way to go fashionably?
3. Compare the financial status of the Navy with the excessive spending of the Royal Family.
4. In July-December 1662, why does Pepys decide to suspend his vows against wine and plays?
5. Explain the struggle with Pepys's wife's companions in July-December 1663.
6. What does Pepys have in common with those in upper society?
7. What happens when Pepys tours theaters backstage?
8. How does the status of the Navy hit an all-time low?
9. Why does the status of the Navy worry Pepys?
10. Why does Pepys's plan to lead a frugal life also include some indulgence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the meaning of why his wife staying up late washing and burning her hand while cooking catches Pepys's attention? What does this say about his feelings about his social status.
Essay Topic 2
Describe why the humanity of the Royals often catches Pepys by surprise. Compare and contrast Pepys's opinions about the Royals as the book continues.
Essay Topic 3
The book constantly describes Pepys's vows of determination to stay away from wine and overspending. We also continue to read about his failings in that aspect. How is Pepys a determined character? In what aspects of his life is he less determined?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)