|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In January-June 1663, what kind of lesson does Pepys take?
2. What holiday is noted that Pepys observes in January-June 1661?
3. What does Pepys admit to doing in some of his meetings with the person who has final authority over the Navy?
4. Who takes singing lessons?
5. When Pepys feels under the weather, who does he call?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pepys describe his professional life in January-June 1662?
2. What becomes of the rumor about a large sum of money buried at the Tower of London?
3. How have price hikes affected the city residents in January-June 1668?
4. Pepys also admits something horrible about a crime he witnessed. What did he admit?
5. in January-June 1665, what are the household issues Pepys once again continues?
6. How does the business of war consume Pepys time in January-June 1665?
7. Compare the financial status of the Navy with the excessive spending of the Royal Family.
8. Describe the political unrest in January-June 1668?
9. Explain the struggle with Pepys's wife's companions in July-December 1663.
10. What does the need for money in the Navy prompt Pepys to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of the coronation of the King in January-June 1661.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Pepys's ambition and how it relates to status in society. Explain the motivation behind his ambitions.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the domestic violence in Pepys's household. How does it illustrate gender norms of the time? Be sure to talk about possible reasons why Pepys treats his wife the way he does.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)