|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In July-December 1662, Pepys wife asks for what?
2. In January-June 1662, who is increasing their threats?
3. What gift does Pepys receive for his wife?
4. Who does Pepys blame for the civil unrest?
5. Who dies of lung cancer in March 1664?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pepys do to prepare for the possibility that he might be captured?
2. While the plague has hit London, what is happening in Pepys's and his wife's life?
3. What happens when Pepys hires a new companion for his wife in January-June 1665?
4. Explain the struggle with Pepys's wife's companions in July-December 1663.
5. Pepys also admits something horrible about a crime he witnessed. What did he admit?
6. What does Pepys admit about a gift for his wife in January-June 1664?
7. Describe the coronation of the King.
8. What kind of strange offer does Pepys get from his uncle for 500 pounds?
9. What does the need for money in the Navy prompt Pepys to do?
10. How have price hikes affected the city residents in January-June 1668?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Pepys' views on adultery? Are there the same rules for husbands and wives? How does his opinion of Lord Sandwich's affair illustrate those views?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the meaning of why his wife staying up late washing and burning her hand while cooking catches Pepys's attention? What does this say about his feelings about his social status.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the domestic violence in Pepys's household. How does it illustrate gender norms of the time? Be sure to talk about possible reasons why Pepys treats his wife the way he does.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)