|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes singing lessons?
2. In July-December 1661, ambassadors of which countries fight?
3. When Pepys feels under the weather, who does he call?
4. Why does Pepys order a wig from his barber?
5. What is the name of Pepys's wife's companion who lied?
Short Essay Questions
1. In July-December 1662, why does Pepys decide to suspend his vows against wine and plays?
2. What does the need for money in the Navy prompt Pepys to do?
3. Describe Pepys time with Lord Sandwich in July-December 1662.
4. Describe the way that Pepys and his wife fight.
5. What is the gossip about the Queen in July-December 1663?
6. Explain Pepys's feeling about the King wearing a wig.
7. What kind of strange offer does Pepys get from his uncle for 500 pounds?
8. What does Pepys keep after cleaning in July-December 1664?
9. What happens when Pepys hires a new companion for his wife in January-June 1665?
10. What does Pepys do to prepare for the possibility that he might be captured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Pepys is bragging when he writes about going to see a play? How honest is he about his attempt to abstain from wine? What do these things symbolize to him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the domestic violence in Pepys's household. How does it illustrate gender norms of the time? Be sure to talk about possible reasons why Pepys treats his wife the way he does.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the scientific world of Pepys. What are examples of descriptions that seem primitive these days? How do these examples shed light on the 1660s and what life was like then?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)