|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lord Sandwich having a possible affair with in July-December 1663?
2. What does the person who Pepys calls do when he feels under the weather?
3. When Pepys feels under the weather, who does he call?
4. What does Pepys do for work in January-June 1660?
5. What actually happens to the buried money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pepys say about civil unrest and a previous attempt to kill the King?
2. What is happening with Pepys relationship with his wife when July-December 1664 opens?
3. What becomes of the rumor about a large sum of money buried at the Tower of London?
4. Describe two developments in household affairs that Pepys writes about in July-December 1661.
5. When does London start to return to normal?
6. Describe what life on the ship is like for Pepys when he sets sail with Lord Sandwich in January-June 1660.
7. How do some of the doctors explain leaving the city during the plague?
8. How successful is Pepys's attempt to abstain from wine?
9. Explain the death in the family in January-June 1664.
10. What does the need for money in the Navy prompt Pepys to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Pepys. Explain what he is passionate about, his faults, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the scientific world of Pepys. What are examples of descriptions that seem primitive these days? How do these examples shed light on the 1660s and what life was like then?
Essay Topic 3
Define irony and explain how it relates to what we know about Pepys and his eye disease. How does that relate to the one vice he cannot give up? How much does he write about the eye disease?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)