|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In January-June 1662, who is increasing their threats?
(a) Only the Dutch.
(b) The Germans.
(c) The English.
(d) The French and the Dutch.
2. Not only is Pepys abstaining in July-December 1661, but he is striving to be what?
(a) The first one to abstain from smoking.
(b) The first one to abstain from sex.
(c) The first one to abstain from bathing.
(d) The first one to abstain from wine.
3. When Pepys receives a promotion in January-June 1660, what does he become?
(a) Lord Sandwich.
(b) General at sea.
(c) Lord's clerk.
(d) Lord's assistant.
4. What actually happens to the buried money?
(a) They find it, but lose it.
(b) They never find it; it is a hoax.
(c) The give it to charity.
(d) It goes to the King and Duke as promised.
5. What is Sir Charles Sydly fined for his arrest?
(a) 5,000 pounds.
(b) 1,000 pounds.
(c) 10,000 pounds.
(d) He is not fined.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pepys blame for the civil unrest?
2. What is one thing Pepys does with his appearance in January-June 1661?
3. What does Pepys do each March?
4. Where is Pepys living when the narrative begins?
5. When July-December 1661 opens, Pepys is abstaining from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the gossip about the Queen in July-December 1663?
2. Why does Pepys's plan to lead a frugal life also include some indulgence?
3. How successful is Pepys's attempt to abstain from wine?
4. Compare the financial status of the Navy with the excessive spending of the Royal Family.
5. What happens when Pepys hires a new companion for his wife in January-June 1665?
6. Describe two things Pepys does in his spare time in January-June 1663.
7. in January-June 1665, what are the household issues Pepys once again continues?
8. What does Pepys do to prepare for the possibility that he might be captured?
9. In July-December 1662, why does Pepys decide to suspend his vows against wine and plays?
10. Describe what life on the ship is like for Pepys when he sets sail with Lord Sandwich in January-June 1660.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)