|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pepys see the tightrope walkers?
(a) The town square.
(b) The circus.
(c) The fair.
(d) Another city.
2. What happened to Pepys's cousin's husband?
(a) He throws himself into a fountain and dies.
(b) He divorces the cousin and runs off.
(c) He joins the Dutch Navy.
(d) He has an affair with Pepys's wife.
3. Who correctly predicted The Great Fire?
(c) Pepys wife.
(d) The King.
4. Why are several houses quarantined in January-June 1665?
(a) Because of lice.
(b) Pepys does not explain.
(c) Because of the plague.
(d) Because of measles.
5. What does Mrs. Knipp miss in January-June,1666?
(a) An appointment.
(b) An interview.
(c) A date.
(d) A party.
6. How does Pepys feel about bribes during July-December 1664?
(a) He returns them.
(b) He does not say how he feels.
(c) It's OK for others, but not for him.
(d) He does takes them.
7. What does the city do in remembrance of the fire?
(a) Stays quiet for a day.
(b) Holds a bonfire.
8. What does Pepys wife begin a yearly habit of collecting?
(a) Money on the street.
(b) Cards from friends.
(c) The May dew.
(d) Cards from doctors.
9. What problem does Pepys mention for the first time in July-December 1667?
(a) His heart.
(b) His bladder stone.
(c) His leg.
(d) His vision.
10. What happened to Pepys's own physician?
(a) He left town.
(b) He moved in next door.
(c) He went to the country.
(d) He died.
11. What kind of problem does Pepys have with his wife when July-December 1664 opens?
(a) Her excessive spending.
(b) Her fashion.
(c) Her moods.
(d) Her cooking.
12. In July-December 1664, Pepys is seeking a case for what?
(a) His Bible.
(b) A new ring.
(c) His guitar.
(d) His bladder stone.
13. How much is Pepys worth at the end of 1664?
(a) 1,349 pounds.
(b) 1,439 pounds.
(c) 5,000 pounds.
14. With people either dying of the plague or leaving for the country, London looks what way?
(a) The same.
(b) Very deserted.
(c) Very full.
(d) As it did two years ago.
15. What does Pepys petition in January-June 1668?
(a) That his cousin be given a divorce.
(b) That his cousin's husband's death be ruled accidental.
(c) That the Navy get more money.
(d) That the war should end.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Pepys on his vacation in July-December, 1667?
2. What emergency does Pepys describe for the reader in July-December 1666?
3. Who holds a lottery in July-December 1664?
4. What kind of wonder has caught the city's attention in January-June 1668?
5. In November 1664, who does war begin between?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)