|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does the science experiment involve that Pepys witnesses?
(a) A dog.
(b) A horse.
(c) An ox.
(d) A cat.
2. In July-December 1667, where does Pepys vacation?
(a) In France.
(b) In the country.
(c) In Italy.
(d) On a boat.
3. What is in jeopardy in January-June, 1665?
(a) The King's popularity.
(b) Pepys's promotion.
(c) The status of the Navy.
(d) Pepys's marriage.
4. How much is Pepys worth at the end of 1664?
(a) 1,349 pounds.
(b) 5,000 pounds.
(d) 1,439 pounds.
5. With people either dying of the plague or leaving for the country, London looks what way?
(a) The same.
(b) As it did two years ago.
(c) Very deserted.
(d) Very full.
6. What happens to the financial status of the Navy in January-June 1666?
(a) It worsens.
(b) It stays the same.
(c) It gets better.
(d) Pepys does not write about it.
7. What happens when Pepys attends a gambling party with friends?
(a) He bets a little money.
(b) He lets his wife gamble.
(c) He bets a lot of money.
(d) He refuses to gamble.
8. As the new year of 1665 starts, what does Pepys wife rebuke him for?
(a) His spending.
(b) His drinking.
(c) His affairs.
(d) His jealousy.
9. Why are several houses quarantined in January-June 1665?
(a) Because of lice.
(b) Because of measles.
(c) Pepys does not explain.
(d) Because of the plague.
10. What is Pepys reasoning for only wearing the watch as long as he does?
(a) It once belonged to the King.
(b) It doesn't match his outfit.
(c) It once belonged to his brother.
(d) It's a distraction.
11. Who retires from leading the Navy in July-December 1666?
(a) The King.
(b) Lord Sandwich.
(c) The Duke of York.
12. What is Pepys's excuse this time in January-June 1667 for making an exception to his vow not to drink wine?
(a) Times are tough.
(b) The wine will go bad.
(c) He wants to celebrate.
(d) The weather is very cold.
13. What does the city do in remembrance of the fire?
(a) Stays quiet for a day.
(d) Holds a bonfire.
14. What does the mayor enact because of the plague?
(a) A ban on going to pubs.
(b) A ban on drinking.
(c) A ban on eating vegetables.
(d) A citywide curfew.
15. What emergency does Pepys describe for the reader in July-December 1666?
(a) A hurricane.
(b) The Great Rain Storm at London.
(c) The Great Fire of London.
(d) A tornado.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pepys say his sister needs to do in July-December 1667?
2. Where is grass seeing growing tall after the plague hits?
3. What does the New Year bring for residents in the city in January-June 1668?
4. When Pepys and his wife were poorer, the wife had to help with what chores?
5. Who claims responsibility for causing this emergency of July-December 1666?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)