|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pepys feel about bribes during July-December 1664?
(a) He does not say how he feels.
(b) It's OK for others, but not for him.
(c) He does takes them.
(d) He returns them.
2. What emergency does Pepys describe for the reader in July-December 1666?
(a) The Great Rain Storm at London.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) The Great Fire of London.
(d) A tornado.
3. Who holds a lottery in July-December 1664?
(a) The Duke.
(b) Lord Sandwich.
(c) Sir Slingsby.
(d) The King.
4. What does the mayor enact because of the plague?
(a) A ban on going to pubs.
(b) A citywide curfew.
(c) A ban on drinking.
(d) A ban on eating vegetables.
5. As the new year of 1665 starts, what does Pepys wife rebuke him for?
(a) His affairs.
(b) His jealousy.
(c) His drinking.
(d) His spending.
6. What is Pepys's excuse this time in January-June 1667 for making an exception to his vow not to drink wine?
(a) Times are tough.
(b) He wants to celebrate.
(c) The weather is very cold.
(d) The wine will go bad.
7. Why does Pepys wife begin collecting what she does in January-June 1667?
(a) They need the money.
(b) She becomes sentimental after the fire.
(c) She is in search of a new doctor.
(d) It is said to be good for one's complexion.
8. What does Pepys say his sister needs to do in July-December 1667?
(a) Stay in the country.
(b) Move to the city.
(c) Get married.
(d) Attend school.
9. In July-December 1667, where does Pepys vacation?
(a) In Italy.
(b) On a boat.
(c) In the country.
(d) In France.
10. What happened to Pepys's cousin's husband?
(a) He throws himself into a fountain and dies.
(b) He joins the Dutch Navy.
(c) He has an affair with Pepys's wife.
(d) He divorces the cousin and runs off.
11. How much short are the household accounts in January-June 1665?
(a) 77 schillings.
(b) 17 schillings.
(c) 70 schillings.
(d) Seven schillings.
12. What is in jeopardy in January-June, 1665?
(a) Pepys's marriage.
(b) The King's popularity.
(c) The status of the Navy.
(d) Pepys's promotion.
13. When Pepys first hears about this emergency in July-December, 1666, what does he do?
(a) Goes back to sleep.
(b) Runs out of his house.
(c) Wake ups his wife.
(d) Finds the Royals.
14. What milestone does Pepys forget in 1664?
(a) His father's birthday.
(b) His wife's birthday.
(c) His birthday.
(d) His anniversary.
15. What does Pepys wife begin a yearly habit of collecting?
(a) Money on the street.
(b) The May dew.
(c) Cards from friends.
(d) Cards from doctors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of problem does Pepys have with his wife when July-December 1664 opens?
2. When Pepys and his wife were poorer, the wife had to help with what chores?
3. Which ship does Prince Rupert command?
4. Where is grass seeing growing tall after the plague hits?
5. What happens when Pepys attends a gambling party with friends?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)