|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pepys is offered money to impregnate someone. Who offers him the money?
(a) Pepys's uncle.
(b) Lady Lord Sandwich.
(d) Pepys' neighbor.
2. What is Pepys feelings about his wife's need for a companion?
(a) He likes the idea.
(b) He has no feelings on the issue.
(c) He is jealous.
(d) He fights with her about it.
3. Where does Pepys go first when he begins his new promotion?
(a) His fleet sails into the English Channel.
(b) His horse takes him to the next town over.
4. What happens when Pepys tries to replace his wife's companion who lied?
(a) His wife cries continously.
(b) A replacement leaves with clothes and is not seen again.
(c) Pepys goes after her.
(d) The new companion is a success.
5. What does Pepys rate as the worst thing he has ever seen in his life?
(b) The play Romeo and Juliet.
(c) The country.
(d) His ugly maid.
6. Who produces a copy of a letter Pepys had burned?
(a) The Duke.
(b) His wife.
(c) Lady Sandwich.
7. Due to Pepys's position with the government in January-June 1660, what does he get propositioned with right away?
(a) New job offers.
8. What is Pepys's country house called?
(a) The Cabin.
(b) The Happy House.
(c) The Gardens.
(d) Halfway House.
9. Who is promised a part of the buried treasure if found?
(a) The King and the Duke.
(c) Lord Sandwich.
(d) Pepys's wife.
10. What is Sir Charles Sydly fined for his arrest?
(a) He is not fined.
(b) 5,000 pounds.
(c) 1,000 pounds.
(d) 10,000 pounds.
11. How much does Pepys go into the funeral description of someone who died of lung cancer?
(a) At length.
(b) He says a little bit, but tells us there will be more later.
(c) He says nothing.
(d) He only says a little bit.
12. In July-December 1660 entries, what does the reader find out about Pepys's relationship with his wife?
(a) That his wife has had affairs.
(b) That Pepys has had affairs with other women.
(c) That they were never in love.
(d) That they both have remained loyal to his each other.
13. What does the person who Pepys calls do when he feels under the weather?
(a) Performs bloodletting.
(b) Gives him a massage.
(c) Gives him a pep talk.
(d) Gives him a day off.
14. Once again in January-June 1662, how is Pepys planning to have a frugal life?
(a) By getting rid of servants.
(b) By going to church more.
(c) By no longer keeping up with fashions.
(d) By abstaining from wine.
15. Who does Pepys blame for the civil unrest?
(b) Religious fanatics.
(d) The King.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pepys receives a promotion in January-June 1660, what does he become?
2. Whose rituals does Pepys think are absurd?
3. What is the name of Pepys's wife's companion who lied?
4. In January-June 1661, what does Pepys reveal about the King?
5. Where is Pepys living when the narrative begins?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)