|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Greg see when he is waiting for Grandpa when the car breaks down in Section 3?
2. What does Greg do while some of the others try to catch a fish on Wednesday at Hardscrabble Farms?
3. On the first day at Hardscrabble Farms, what does a kid have to have removed from his ear by the nurse?
4. How many years has Mrs. Graziano been coming to Hardscrabble Farms?
5. How many letters does Greg received from home on Wednesday at Hardscrabble Farms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Billy say that he stole from a convenience store in Section 3?
2. Why is Greg worried about the food situation on the field trip, and what does he do about it?
3. How are showers taken at Hardscrabble Farms?
4. How does Greg's mom track him down in Section 3 when he runs away with Frew and Billy?
5. Supposedly, who is Silas Scratch?
6. Why do Greg and the others scrape their lunch leftovers into a giant pot after their first lunch at Hardscrabble Farms?
7. What happens when Grandpa drives Greg to the hardware store?
8. What does Mrs. Graziano say about chores on Tuesday at Hardscrabble Farms?
9. What is Greg to take and not take to Hardscrabble Farms?
10. Why does Greg have to leave his raincoat behind when he leaves for Hardscrabble Farms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Section 2, Both Greg and Rodrick are caught in schemes to deceive. What schemes did the two of them have to be deceitful? Did they suffer consequences, and how did those consequences affect their behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Greg and the other students have to perform chores at Hardscrabble Farms. How does Greg feel about doing hard work at first? How difficult is it for Greg to do some of the chores? How does performing chores make Greg feel about himself and why?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)