|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Diane develop depression when first marrying Allan?
2. Diane is described as being a _______ housewife.
3. Through her classes with Black, how did Diane perceive her life?
4. What effect did Diane's risky behavior have on her work?
5. Why did Diane's father send her to art school one summer in Massachusetts?
Short Essay Questions
1. From her schooling at the Ethical Culture School, what were the philosophies that Diane was raised on?
2. Was the Russek's store successful? How was it tried? How did it succeed?
3. Was Diane remorseful of her affair with Alex? Why or why not?
4. What was Diane's genre of photography? Did Diane influence her genre for the future?
5. How concerned were Allan and Diane about infidelity?
6. How did Grosz work influence Diane?
7. Was Israel an appropriate mentor for Diane? Why did they develop a relationship?
8. Was Diane a typical girl of the 1930's?
9. Why was Diane jealous of Jane?
10. How did Diane compensate for Allan's absence after their divorce was final? Was she successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
History repeated itself in the Arbus family. Many aspects of Diane and Allan mirrored that of Diane's parents. Discuss Diane's drive in her family and the repercussions of her flawed childhood home.
Essay Topic 2
There is a clear correlation between Diane's attitudes as a teenager and her photography as an adult. Discuss how Diane's art reflects Diane.
Essay Topic 3
Diane was famous for her portrayal of the grotesque. Discuss Diane's photos. Why did people find her work grotesque? What was Diane's commentary on human nature?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)