|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unlike other girls, Diane wasn't ashamed of her _______.
2. How did Diane's father make their home difficult?
3. The Arbus and Eliot family are described as being ________.
4. What effect did Diane's risky behavior have on her work?
5. How did Diane's parents feel about her relationship with Allan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Diane's work is more famous today than in the 60's?
2. How were Diane and Howard inclined toward art? Who encouraged this?
3. How was the Arbus family able to go to Europe? Why did they go?
4. Was Europe a positive experience for Diane? How?
5. When did Diane achieve the peak of her fame?
6. To Diane, what was the only way one could achieve a true portrait? How did she manage this?
7. Why was Diane envious of Howard?
8. Did the Russek family achieve the American dream? How?
9. What was Robert Frank's image of "America"?
10. Was Diane good with children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patricia Bosworth, the author, had a personal relationship with Diane Arbus allowing the reader to experience a personal side of the subject. Discuss how Bosworth's proximity to Arbus affected her recount of her life.
Essay Topic 2
Allan was Diane's only husband whom she married while she was young and with whom she had two children. Allan both afforded Diane the life she wanted and prevented her from that life as well. Discuss Diane's relationship with Allan.
Essay Topic 3
Diane's life was full of infidelity. Judging from the reactions of those around her and her own reactions, her actions were a product of a larger problem. Discuss why Diane was unfaithful.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)