|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Model show Diane how to "see" photography?
2. What drew Diane to Grosz's work?
3. Diane is described as being a _______ housewife.
4. When did the affair between Alex and Diane begin?
5. How did the Russeks earn enough money to start a fur shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Diane broke down at the end of a dinner party, what change did it prompt in the family?
2. What is the overall message about Diane from Bosworth's biography?
3. Did Diane believe her life was "sanitary"? What was her philosophy on her life after meeting Algernon Black?
4. What were Diane's choices of inspiration? How did those reflect her vision and tendency towards art?
5. How did Alex's role in Diane's life affect her relationship with Allan?
6. How did Model influence Diane's photography?
7. What piqued Diane's interests in the grotesque?
8. Was Diane remorseful of her affair with Alex? Why or why not?
9. How did Diane and Howard feel about working at Russek's? What were their reasons for continuing to work there?
10. How did Diane compare to the photographers of the 30's and 40's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diane's life was full of infidelity. Judging from the reactions of those around her and her own reactions, her actions were a product of a larger problem. Discuss why Diane was unfaithful.
Essay Topic 2
Although Diane Arbus expressed a disdain for her own work shortly before her death, she also exhibited confidence in its value through her life. Discuss Diane's view and value of her own work and how it affected her actions.
Essay Topic 3
History repeated itself in the Arbus family. Many aspects of Diane and Allan mirrored that of Diane's parents. Discuss Diane's drive in her family and the repercussions of her flawed childhood home.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)