|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Diane and her friends were all raised like Jewish ______.
2. Lisette Model was famous for photographing human "_______."
3. Why did Diane and Allan decide to separate their professional lives?
4. How did Anne respond to Alex's infidelity?
5. After years of fashion photography, how did Allan feel about his career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did "Diane Arbus Revelations" alter the way Diane's work was received?
2. Was Europe a positive experience for Diane? How?
3. Did the Russek family achieve the American dream? How?
4. Why was Diane jealous of Jane?
5. Why did Russeks decline?
6. Why was Diane chosen for the "New York" issue of Esquire? Was this appropriate for her style?
7. Is there any discrepancy between Bosworth's account of Diane's state of mind between 1970 and 1971? How so?
8. How did Grosz work influence Diane?
9. Did Diane believe her life was "sanitary"? What was her philosophy on her life after meeting Algernon Black?
10. Was the Russek's store successful? How was it tried? How did it succeed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several ways, Diane compromised herself and her art for mainstream and normalcy. She did this first with her marriage to Allan and second with getting her work published. In ways, these choices helped her gain what she desired but also inhibited her. Discuss Diane's compromise for the mainstream and normalcy. Was this contrary to her nature or a means to an end? Was she faithful to herself or her art?
Essay Topic 2
History repeated itself in the Arbus family. Many aspects of Diane and Allan mirrored that of Diane's parents. Discuss Diane's drive in her family and the repercussions of her flawed childhood home.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what portrait of the 60's Diane painted in her photography. What was she attempting to show?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)