|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Diane was aware that by marrying Allan she would be giving up ______.
2. What effect did Diane's risky behavior have on her work?
3. Bosworth explains the Arbuses complemented each other because Allan was ________.
4. Allan decided to bring his family to Europe for a year because they needed ______.
5. After the war, what profession did Howard pursue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did "Diane Arbus Revelations" alter the way Diane's work was received?
2. Why do you think Diane's work is more famous today than in the 60's?
3. Was Diane remorseful of her affair with Alex? Why or why not?
4. Why did Russeks decline?
5. Is Diane's documentation of the 60's thorough or narrow? How?
6. Why did Diane and Allan stay together?
7. What is the overall message about Diane from Bosworth's biography?
8. Why did Allan ban Cheech from the Arbus home?
9. Based on the end of the Afterword, do you believe Diane had a positive view on her work?
10. Why, in the early fifties, was it more difficult for Diane to have her work published? Why were magazines more attracted to her work later?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diane and her siblings all grew up to become artists although they were raised in a wealthy, business oriented home. Discuss how the different facets of Diane's upbringing (from her financial opportunities, to her education, to the emotions in her house) formed her.
Essay Topic 2
Diane participated in risky behavior as a means to satisfy herself and to gain access to the subjects she desired. Discuss how Diane became inspired and at what price.
Essay Topic 3
Both Diane and her mother suffered from depression for very different reasons. Discuss Diane's depression. Was she a victim to it or just to herself? Why was she depressed?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)