|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did David expand Russek's?
2. Towards the late 50's, Diane felt like she was at a _________ phase in her life.
3. From where did the Russek family immigrate?
4. Diane was ________ through her senior year.
5. Unlike other girls, Diane wasn't ashamed of her _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Diane "the first paparazzi"? For her, was this a good title?
2. Why did Diane and Allan stay together?
3. Is there any discrepancy between Bosworth's account of Diane's state of mind between 1970 and 1971? How so?
4. Was Diane a typical girl of the 1930's?
5. Was Israel an appropriate mentor for Diane? Why did they develop a relationship?
6. Why do you think Diane's work is more famous today than in the 60's?
7. Does Bosworth have something personal at stake in her biography of Arbus? How?
8. What was Diane's genre of photography? Did Diane influence her genre for the future?
9. How did Diane's parents feel about her marrying Allan? Was she fulfilling their desires of letting them down?
10. How did Diane and Allan manage to keep their relationship cordial as they grew apart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part of Diane's struggle was being a woman in a male-dominated profession. More so, she resented being "clumped" with feminists. Discuss Diane's positive and negative relationship with her femininity.
Essay Topic 2
Diane and her siblings all grew up to become artists although they were raised in a wealthy, business oriented home. Discuss how the different facets of Diane's upbringing (from her financial opportunities, to her education, to the emotions in her house) formed her.
Essay Topic 3
Both Diane and her mother suffered from depression for very different reasons. Discuss Diane's depression. Was she a victim to it or just to herself? Why was she depressed?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)