|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howard envied Diane and Howard for ___________.
2. According to Bosworth, why did Cheech most adore Diane?
3. David is described as being consumed by ______.
4. How did Jane respond to Alex's relationship with the Arbuses?
5. While in Europe, Diane discovered the _______ sides of cities.
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Diane's Esquire photography successful? How did she feel bout the outcome of her work?
2. Based on the end of the Afterword, do you believe Diane had a positive view on her work?
3. What piqued Diane's interests in the grotesque?
4. Is there any discrepancy between Bosworth's account of Diane's state of mind between 1970 and 1971? How so?
5. Why do you think Diane's work is more famous today than in the 60's?
6. Did Diane believe her life was "sanitary"? What was her philosophy on her life after meeting Algernon Black?
7. How did Diane and Allan manage to keep their relationship cordial as they grew apart?
8. Was Diane duplicitous at a teenager? How?
9. Why was Diane envious of Howard?
10. What were Diane's choices of inspiration? How did those reflect her vision and tendency towards art?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what portrait of the 60's Diane painted in her photography. What was she attempting to show?
Essay Topic 2
Before Diane Arbus, documentary photography had a very different face. How did Diane revolutionize the genre? What did she offer that it needed, and why did it absorb her influence?
Essay Topic 3
Diane was famous for her portrayal of the grotesque. Discuss Diane's photos. Why did people find her work grotesque? What was Diane's commentary on human nature?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)