|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What publication gave the Arbus' photography business its break?
2. How did Allan respond to Diane's infidelity?
3. Why were Robert Frank's photos appealing to New Yorkers?
4. Allan Arbus was the son of ______ immigrants.
5. Through her classes with Black, how did Diane perceive her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Diane's mother depressed?
2. How were Diane and Howard inclined toward art? Who encouraged this?
3. How was the Arbus family able to go to Europe? Why did they go?
4. How did Diane compensate for Allan's absence after their divorce was final? Was she successful?
5. What was Robert Frank's image of "America"?
6. Does Bosworth paint Diane in a positive or negative light in her biography? How so?
7. Is there any discrepancy between Bosworth's account of Diane's state of mind between 1970 and 1971? How so?
8. Why did Diane and Allan stay together?
9. Was Diane remorseful of her affair with Alex? Why or why not?
10. Why was Howard's British wife a successful saleswoman at Russeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part of Diane's struggle was being a woman in a male-dominated profession. More so, she resented being "clumped" with feminists. Discuss Diane's positive and negative relationship with her femininity.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what contributed to Diane Arbus's downfall and why her life ended as it did.
Essay Topic 3
Both Diane and her mother suffered from depression for very different reasons. Discuss Diane's depression. Was she a victim to it or just to herself? Why was she depressed?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)