|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cureo want to engage the cars?
2. Why does Leiter take Bond to California?
3. What does Bond question Tiffany about?
4. Which man does Fleming say is younger than he looks?
5. What game does Bond play in the casino?
Short Essay Questions
1. What amuses Bond about the hotel?
2. What do Earnest Cureo and Bond decide to do?
3. Why is Bond suspicious of the two men?
4. How does Seraffimo try to force information from Bond?
5. What do Bond and Tiffany say to each other on their dinner date?
6. Describe the battle between Bond and his pursuers.
7. How do the gangsters catch Bond?
8. What do the two men look like?
9. What do Bond and Leiter do at the track on the first evening?
10. How does Bond try to delay Seraffimo and his men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there any characters that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in the book and compare him/her to the character in the film Diamonds are Forever. What similarities does the character in the film share with its counterpart in the novel? How do the filmmakers update the character for a more modern audience? Why are these changes necessary?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)