|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Over whom does Cressida choose Poppas?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her father-in-law.
(c) Her sisters.
(d) Her second husband.
2. How could Poppas be described in relation to Cressida in a non-professional context?
(a) A con man.
(b) A gossip.
(c) Someone who wants only a professional relationship and nothing more.
(d) A true and loyal friend.
3. How does Carrie view the relationship between Cressida and Poppas?
(a) Strictly as employer- employee.
(b) That of pupil and teacher.
(c) Poppas as a father figure.
(d) Part teacher, part lover.
4. There was a period in Cressida's life when she nearly did what?
(a) Was going to run away and assume a new identity.
(b) Killed herself.
(c) Disowned her sisters.
(d) Sacrificed her principles.
5. At what do Cressida's sisters marvel?
(a) At Cressida being able to go through her life "untouched by the breath of scandal."
(b) At Cressida's exceeding generosity.
(c) At the fact that Cressida raised Horace as a single woman.
(d) At Cressida's success in the entertainment world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carrie's private thought about Horace's support of Cressida?
2. In between marriages, how many suitors does Cressida tend to have?
3. How does Cressida think her sisters view her?
4. What does Cressida think might have been a better thing than to have married after the death of her first husband?
5. What does the deck steward hand Cressida?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think any of the men who drive down to hear the names truly cares about Cressida's death?
2. What is one possible explanation of the perfunctory greeting from Horace and Miss Julia to Carrie?
3. What does Carrie describe as Cressida's bad luck and what would be Cressida's good luck?
4. Describe Carrie's trip to the docks to hear the reading of the names of the survivors from the Titanic.
5. What does the narrator say about Poppas's talents?
6. Why do you think Cressida would have chosen an accompanist and teacher over her marriage?
7. When Carrie is watching the four men who are at the reading of the survivor's names from the Titanic, she muses to herself wondering if Cressida would actually return to those men sitting there is she could. Do you think Cressida would return to these men if she could?
8. What is Cressida's estimation of the violin player?
9. Describe a little of what the narrator gives as Cressida's early life.
10. Do you believe Poppas deserves to receive the fifty-thousand dollar bequest from Cressida's estate?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)