|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Cressida's third husband?
(a) Blane Butcher.
(b) Mandrake Issner.
(c) Persius Plyt.
(d) Blasius Bouchalka.
2. Who of Cressida's husbands was a music teacher and choir director?
(a) Her first husband.
(b) Her second husband.
(c) Her third husband.
(d) None of her husbands.
3. From what ailment does Poppas suffer?
(a) The bends.
(b) Facial neuralgia.
4. What does Cressida do rather than argue with Horace?
(a) Tells him she has disinherited him.
(b) Goes to her stateroom.
(c) Gives him another thousand dollars.
(d) Tells him to go borrow from Poppas.
5. How does Cressida explain her upcoming marriage to Carrie?
(a) As the desire for a man to take care of her.
(b) As the need for Cressida to present a "normal" public face.
(c) As something that is grounded in years of building mutual trust.
(d) As an impulsive decision of just a few months of knowing each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cressida's trust in and loyalty to Poppas reflect some other aspect in her life?
2. What do Cressida and Poppas have for each other?
3. With what question does Horace interrupt the two women's conversation?
4. Over whom does Cressida choose Poppas?
5. Why is Cressida not surprised to encounter Carrie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is not traveling with Cressida and what is one possible explanation for that?
2. What does the violin player do after his first number?
3. Describe a little of what the narrator gives as Cressida's early life.
4. Why does Cressida wait to travel alone on the Titanic instead of leaving London a week earlier with Horace and Poppas?
5. How does the last paragraphs about the photograph Poppas sends reflect an important theme of this story?
6. Why do you think Cressida would have chosen an accompanist and teacher over her marriage?
7. Describe the relationship between Poppas and Cressida's sisters.
8. Do you believe Poppas deserves to receive the fifty-thousand dollar bequest from Cressida's estate?
9. Why do you think the sisters seem to tolerate Poppas?
10. What is one possible explanation of the perfunctory greeting from Horace and Miss Julia to Carrie?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)