|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Conner accuse a photographer of doing?
2. What does Claire tell "Teen Vogue" about her crush?
3. What makes Massie nervous in the makeup trailer?
4. What do Abby and Claire have for dinner?
5. What did Derrington wear to the dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire show her friendship to Massie and Alicia?
2. Despite her obstacles, how does Massie show ingenuity in reporting for "The Daily Grind"?
3. What kinds of acting or role-playing occur in this section?
4. Why would the girls care about the dance at the boys' school?
5. What happened at the dance?
6. How does Massie try to use her friendship with Claire?
7. How do the characters behave childishly in this section?
8. Did Claire discover who her real friends are?
9. How can you tell that Abby is temperamental?
10. Why does Cam get confused by a magazine article about Claire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While this series normally takes place in Westchester, New York, most of the action in this book takes place in California, with many characters being left behind in Westchester.
1. What goes on in Westchester while the girls are in California?
2. How would the novel be different if it were instead told from the viewpoint of Kristen or Dylan?
3. The author could have directly narrated scenes in both settings, but instead chose to describe most Westchester events through gossip and phone conversations. What does this contribute to the novel? How would the novel be different if the reader had direct access to these parts of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Many formulaic stories feature a hero struggling against a villain.
1. Who is the hero in this story? How can you tell? What is so important about the role of the hero?
2. Who is the villain? Is there a real villain in this story? What do they do that is villainous?
3. Are there characters who seem to be both a hero and a villain? Which aspects of these characters are heroic, and which aspects are villainous?
Essay Topic 3
Even though the girls do not attend school during the entire novel, there are 3 different schools that are featured prominently in the novel: Octavian Country Day School, Briarwood, and Lakeview Middle School (the fake school featured in the movie). Describe each of these schools and what happens there. What are the differences between them?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)