|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Denny's involvement in their relationship strange to Kidd now?
2. Later, at the bar, what is everyone discussing?
3. What does Lanya choose to do for Kidd?
4. The constant sex, violence, and manipulations prove that the people of Bellona have _______.
5. Why has Kidd decided to join the scorpions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who makes sure that Kidd's poems are saved amongst the chaos of the scorpions?
2. What does Madame Brown think will help Kidd with his memory and psychological problems?
3. Who starts many of the riots, and what do we learn about the scorpions because of this?
4. Although Kidd and Lanya seem to have known each other for a while, what side of her did he never see ?
5. How does Kidd finally feel when he attempts to write a new poem?
6. As Chapter 5 opens, what is Kidd wondering?
7. Why is Kidd shocked that people want to know about his life?
8. Why does Lanya get fed up with Kidd and choose to leave?
9. Why does Kidd begin to doubt his own writing?
10. What is true about the scorpions and other people in Bellona who do nothing with their time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although it may seem as though it is not a theme, many characters are subjected to fear. Examine the following characters and analyze how they deal with their emotional, physical, and psychological fear throughout the book:
- Mrs. Richards
Essay Topic 2
As a science fiction writer, symbolism is extremely important to Delany.
What does the supernova symbolize?
Analyze the symbol and discuss its role in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1. How is the rape of June Richards glorified throughout the novel?
2. Why is making her rape public important to the rest of the population in Bellona?
3. What are ways for June Richards to stand up for herself and get help after the rape?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)