|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the chapter, what does Kidd want to do?
2. What does Captain Kamp, a former member of the space program, think he saw in the sky?
3. How does Madame Brown offer to help Kidd?
4. What did Lanya's school used to be?
5. While walking to Lanya's school, who do they see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kidd shocked that people want to know about his life?
2. What problem doesn't affect Calkins' house and why is this strange?
3. Is Kidd jealous of Denny's time with Lanya?
4. As the book is drawing to a close, what does Kidd have trouble understanding?
5. How does Kidd finally feel when he attempts to write a new poem?
6. What does everyone's willingness to participate in group sexual acts say about the people in Bellona?
7. Does Kidd realize what he is writing?
8. What is important in the scorpions dialogue?
9. Why are the scorpions moving again?
10. Why is it strange that Calkins does not come to the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the girl from the woods.
What does the girl from the woods and the beginning of the story symbolize to Kidd?
Furthermore, what does this symbolize as a story arc for several of Delany's books? (Extra Credit question).
Essay Topic 2
Tak is one of the only African American characters mentioned, outside of the black gangs.
Why do you think that none of Delany's main characters in the book are black?
Was this purposeful?
Essay Topic 3
Captain Kamp describes Bellona as being extremely similar to the moon. Once you have to ask why you are there, you should not be there anymore.
What do Captain Kamp's words mean?
Why are Captain Kamp's words about Bellona so important?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)