|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Madame Brown offer to help Kidd?
2. At the end of the section, what place do Kidd and the rest of the scorpions vandalize?
3. What does Captain Kamp, a former member of the space program, think he saw in the sky?
4. What unfortunate event happens at the party?
5. What does a man named Frank keep mentioning at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Suddenly, what does Kidd have trouble remembering?
2. How does Kidd finally feel when he attempts to write a new poem?
3. Why is Kidd shocked that people want to know about his life?
4. How has Lanya and Kidd's relationship changed?
5. What is important in the scorpions dialogue?
6. Why is it strange that Calkins does not come to the party?
7. Who starts many of the riots, and what do we learn about the scorpions because of this?
8. Why are the scorpions moving again?
9. As Chapter 5 opens, what is Kidd wondering?
10. Why is this chapter difficult to understand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. How is the rape of June Richards glorified throughout the novel?
2. Why is making her rape public important to the rest of the population in Bellona?
3. What are ways for June Richards to stand up for herself and get help after the rape?
Essay Topic 2
Although it may seem as though it is not a theme, many characters are subjected to fear. Examine the following characters and analyze how they deal with their emotional, physical, and psychological fear throughout the book:
- Mrs. Richards
Essay Topic 3
Describe the girl from the woods.
What does the girl from the woods and the beginning of the story symbolize to Kidd?
Furthermore, what does this symbolize as a story arc for several of Delany's books? (Extra Credit question).
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)