|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do riots begin in Bellona?
2. Where does Kidd believe he has been held for some time, but cannot quite remember?
3. Whose address does Lanya give Kidd?
4. What is the first line of the novel Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany?
5. Besides Bellona, what other city also has a lot of problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Kidd meet in the first chapter of the book?
2. When Kidd tries to discuss the riots with people at the bar, he realizes what?
3. What does Kidd discover when he goes exploring throughout the Richards' apartment?
4. What is odd about June Richards?
5. What does Mr. Richards do everyday he "goes to work."
6. What does Lanya believe in?
7. How do the scorpions tempt Kidd?
8. What is odd about the people who stay in Bellona after the event?
9. What surprises Kidd about the sample book copy?
10. What does Kidd remember and not remember about himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a science fiction writer, symbolism is extremely important to Delany.
What does the supernova symbolize?
Analyze the symbol and discuss its role in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Although it may seem as though it is not a theme, many characters are subjected to fear. Examine the following characters and analyze how they deal with their emotional, physical, and psychological fear throughout the book:
- Mrs. Richards
Essay Topic 3
Describe the orchids that everyone in Bellona wears.
Why are orchids made into weapons throughout the novel?
How does the beauty of the flower contrast with the violence of making the flower a weapon?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)