|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason that the Richards will not leave Bellona?
2. Why do the scorpions allow Kidd to tag along?
3. Interestingly, who do many people think of as the only law enforcement in town?
4. Why is this Lanya's reaction?
5. What does Mrs. Richards refuse to face about Bellona?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Frank's introduction important in this part of the novel?
2. The next day, why does Kidd take a job from Madame Brown?
3. When the woman asks Kidd if he wants to change the world, what is Kidd's answer?
4. Does the reader know what is very curious about Bellona?
5. Who fills Kidd in on the riots that have occurred in Bellona?
6. By whom is Kidd beaten up and why does this happen?
7. Why does Kidd agree to stay at the Richards' place until Mr. Richards gets home?
8. In this section, Kidd starts to lose time again, how does this affect him?
9. What is odd about June Richards?
10. Why does Kidd expect to be given answers concerning his identity from the woman in the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two person relationships are a societal standard in Western civilization. Does that make them right?
How does the inability to create stable relationships in Bellona signify deep problems within the society? Do you agree with this assertion?
Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1. Symbolism is heavily used throughout the novel. Pick three different symbols and analyze them.
2. Next, describe and discuss how Kidd comes into contact with these symbols in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
As a science fiction writer, symbolism is extremely important to Delany.
What does the supernova symbolize?
Analyze the symbol and discuss its role in the novel.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)