|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Interestingly, who do many people think of as the only law enforcement in town?
2. If Kidd ever gets to write a book, what would he like to call his book?
3. How long has it been since Lanya has seen Kidd?
4. Why did the Richards hire Kidd in the first place?
5. What is interesting about the object that Kidd is given?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kidd remember and not remember about himself?
2. Does the reader know what is very curious about Bellona?
3. Why is Layna surprised that Kidd got a job?
4. The next day, why does Kidd take a job from Madame Brown?
5. In this section, Kidd starts to lose time again, how does this affect him?
6. When Kidd tries to discuss the riots with people at the bar, he realizes what?
7. What does Kidd discover when he goes exploring throughout the Richards' apartment?
8. Why does Kidd expect to be given answers concerning his identity from the woman in the cave?
9. What does Mr. Richards do everyday he "goes to work."
10. Why does Kidd agree to stay at the Richards' place until Mr. Richards gets home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of survival courses through the entire novel. Characters feel as though they are being forced to stay in Bellona and must push themselves to survive here.
1. Why do the characters feel forced to stay? Is it because of money, family, or welfare?
2. How is this similar to what people who live in assisted living or are on welfare feel? Why are they trapped into their current situations? Is it completely their fault?
Essay Topic 2
1. Symbolism is heavily used throughout the novel. Pick three different symbols and analyze them.
2. Next, describe and discuss how Kidd comes into contact with these symbols in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Delany successfully or unsuccessfully uses the circular structure of the novel to build a climax to his tale?
If you think he is successful, provide some examples of how he is successful.
If you do not think he is successful, describe ways he could have reached a climax using this structure.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)