|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Richards refuse to do?
2. At the beginning of Chapter IV, where does Tak find Kidd?
3. Does Kidd think he has any reason for getting on the bus that pulls up near the bar?
4. Why won't Lanya tell Kidd where her new house is?
5. Why is Kidd upset while on the job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the reader know what is very curious about Bellona?
2. What is odd about the people who stay in Bellona after the event?
3. Why did Lanya destroy all of her paintings?
4. Why do the scorpions begin to trust Kidd?
5. What does Kidd remember and not remember about himself?
6. Who fills Kidd in on the riots that have occurred in Bellona?
7. By whom is Kidd beaten up and why does this happen?
8. When the woman asks Kidd if he wants to change the world, what is Kidd's answer?
9. What is odd about June Richards?
10. What event does Kidd hope changes Mrs Richards and forces her to see reality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Kidd to Denny. How are these two characters alike and different?
Why would Lanya possibly choose Denny over Kidd?
Does it have something to do with Kidd only seeing Lanya as an object or piece of property?
Essay Topic 2
1. Discuss whether you think that foreshadowing can be used in a novel with a circular structure.
2. If you agree, how is this helpful in possibly understanding Delany's work?
3. Find three examples of foreshadowing in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
As a science fiction writer, symbolism is extremely important to Delany.
What does the supernova symbolize?
Analyze the symbol and discuss its role in the novel.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)