|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Easy call when he awakens in Chapter 16?
2. What do Mouse and Dupree get drunk on in Chapter 24?
3. Joppy tells Easy that he knows who murdered whom in Chapter 21?
4. Easy makes a telephone call in order to locate whom in Chapter 16?
5. What is the name of the lady that runs the motel where Daphne is staying in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the gun battle conclude in Chapter 29? Who “saves the day”?
2. Who does Easy call when he awakens in Chapter 16? Why?
3. How does Easy elude police suspicion following the events of the story?
4. What conflict breaks out at the barber shop in Chapter 19? Who does Easy leave with?
5. What conversation does Easy have with Odell Johnson in Chapter 31?
6. What leads Easy to the office of Lion Investments in Chapter 17?
7. What does Easy do upon arriving at Vernie’s in Chapter 18? Who does Easy speak with?
8. What does Easy learn from the policemen in Chapter 22? What happens at the police station?
9. How does Easy’s character transition in Chapter 18? What leads this transition?
10. How are the outcomes of Mr. Albright and the Mexican boy described in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of morality in Devil in a Blue Dress. Do you think that Easy Rawlins is a morally upstanding character? Why or why not? How do Easy’s actions in Chapter 6 illustrate his willingness to cross the lines of morality?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Zeppo in Chapter 19 and Zeppo’s relationship to the theme of racial identity. How is Zeppo described by the other characters? In what ways does Zeppo stand outside of the prescribed notions of race?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze Easy’s experiences in Normandy in World War II. How did Easy’s inner voice lead him out of harm’s way during the war? What does this voice symbolize in the novel? How did Easy’s experiences in the war shape him as a character?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)