|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is listed on the business card as the personnel director of the company that Easy visits in Chapter 17?
2. What does Easy dream about as he sleeps all day in Chapter 16?
3. How old was Easy when his mother died?
4. Who in Chapter 19 is described as “half Negro, half Italian” and stands outside the barber shop?
5. What does Mouse do when Easy tells him he’s drunk in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Easy learn upon awakening in Chapter 28? What does his inner voice guide him to do?
2. Where does Easy begin his search for Frank Green in Chapter 18? How is this establishment described?
3. What information does Joppy reveal to Easy in Chapter 21?
4. Who does Daphne say Joppy killed in Chapter 26? Why?
5. What information does Daphne reveal about Matthew Teran, Todd Carter, and Richard McGee in Chapter 26?
6. How does Easy’s character transition in Chapter 18? What leads this transition?
7. What does Easy learn from the policemen in Chapter 22? What happens at the police station?
8. Who does Easy call when he awakens in Chapter 16? Why?
9. How does Easy elude police suspicion following the events of the story?
10. What is significant about Easy’s flashback to the concentration camps in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Mouse and his role in Devil in a Blue Dress. How does Easy feel about his history with Mouse? How long did they know one another? How do Easy’s flashbacks and descriptions of Mouse compare with his reality when he enters the action of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the quality of pride as seen in the character of Easy Rawlins in the novel. Why does Easy refuse to grovel to Mr. Giacomo for his job? How did Easy’s fighting in World War II influence his perceptions of race, equality, and pride?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Easy’s altercation with the teenagers on the beach in Chapter 8. What causes the initial conflict in this chapter? Why does Easy not defend himself against the gang? How is the theme of racism depicted through this encounter?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)