|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ricardo’s wife who runs the Pool Room in Chapter 18?
2. Easy awakens in the morning and goes to the office of what enterprise in Chapter 17?
3. Who answers the telephone when it rings as Frank Green and Easy struggle in Chapter 21?
4. Who enters the barber shop and insults Lenny in Chapter 19?
5. Who does Mr. Carter identify Daphne’s friend that was found murdered as, in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Easy go about ambushing Albright and Joppy in Chapter 29?
2. How does Daphne explain her relationships to Frank Green and Todd Carter in Chapter 26?
3. How does the gun battle conclude in Chapter 29? Who “saves the day”?
4. What does Easy learn from the policemen in Chapter 22? What happens at the police station?
5. What information does Easy learn from Jackson Blue in Chapter 20?
6. What leads Easy to the office of Lion Investments in Chapter 17?
7. What confrontation takes place between Mouse and Easy in Chapter 19? How does this conflict conclude?
8. How are the outcomes of Mr. Albright and the Mexican boy described in Chapter 30?
9. Who does Daphne say Joppy killed in Chapter 26? Why?
10. How does the conflict between Easy and Frank Green conclude in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Mouse and his role in Devil in a Blue Dress. How does Easy feel about his history with Mouse? How long did they know one another? How do Easy’s flashbacks and descriptions of Mouse compare with his reality when he enters the action of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Easy’s experiences in Normandy in World War II. How did Easy’s inner voice lead him out of harm’s way during the war? What does this voice symbolize in the novel? How did Easy’s experiences in the war shape him as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Easy’s altercation with the teenagers on the beach in Chapter 8. What causes the initial conflict in this chapter? Why does Easy not defend himself against the gang? How is the theme of racism depicted through this encounter?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)