|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from the novel refers to money paid to secure services, such as the money given to Easy by Mr. Carter?
2. What is the name of Vernie’s daughter that helps her with her business?
3. What does Mr. Carter offer Easy to drink when Easy finally makes it to his office in Chapter 17?
4. What day of the week is it when Easy goes to the barber shop in Chapter 19?
5. What is the name of the barber Easy goes to in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Daphne explain her relationships to Frank Green and Todd Carter in Chapter 26?
2. How does Easy’s character transition in Chapter 18? What leads this transition?
3. What clue does Easy present to Junior Fornay in Chapter 23? What is Junior’s response?
4. How does Easy elude police suspicion following the events of the story?
5. What is significant about Easy’s flashback to the concentration camps in Chapter 20?
6. Who does Easy call when he awakens in Chapter 16? Why?
7. How does Easy go about ambushing Albright and Joppy in Chapter 29?
8. What information does Daphne reveal about Matthew Teran, Todd Carter, and Richard McGee in Chapter 26?
9. What conversation does Easy have with Odell Johnson in Chapter 31?
10. What does Easy learn upon awakening in Chapter 28? What does his inner voice guide him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Matthew Teran in Devil in a Blue Dress. How does Easy describe Teran when he meets him? What prevents Easy from taking Teran’s money when he leaves the car? Who is the little boy that Teran keeps with him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of John's Place in the narrative and the characters found in this establishment in Chapter 4. In what neighborhood is John's Place located? How does Easy enter the establishment? What information does Easy learn in this location?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Pete Dupree and Coretta James in the narrative. How does Easy feel about each of these characters? Where does Easy know Dupree from? What happens to each of these characters in the course of the story?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)