|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Ricardo to lose both his legs?
2. Easy tells Frank Green that he can make him how much money in Chapter 21?
3. What is the name of the lady that runs the motel where Daphne is staying in Chapter 25?
4. Who has Easy visited Ricardo’s Pool Room with before he goes there in Chapter 18?
5. What word from the novel refers to money paid to secure services, such as the money given to Easy by Mr. Carter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Joppy reveal to Easy in Chapter 21?
2. What is significant about Easy’s flashback to the concentration camps in Chapter 20?
3. What leads Easy to the office of Lion Investments in Chapter 17?
4. Where do Mouse and Easy go in Chapter 24? What do they do there?
5. Where does Easy begin his search for Frank Green in Chapter 18? How is this establishment described?
6. What does Easy do upon arriving at Vernie’s in Chapter 18? Who does Easy speak with?
7. How does the conflict between Easy and Frank Green conclude in Chapter 21?
8. What clue does Easy present to Junior Fornay in Chapter 23? What is Junior’s response?
9. How are the outcomes of Mr. Albright and the Mexican boy described in Chapter 30?
10. What does Easy choose to reveal and not reveal to Mouse in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the setting of Lion Investments in Chapter 17. Who are the characters that inhabit this setting? How are these individuals described? How does this setting differ from the settings in Watts?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of morality in Devil in a Blue Dress. Do you think that Easy Rawlins is a morally upstanding character? Why or why not? How do Easy’s actions in Chapter 6 illustrate his willingness to cross the lines of morality?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the symbolism of the dead mouse and the ants in Chapter 10. What does the mouse represent symbolically? What themes does this symbolism relate to? What do the ants in this imagery represent?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)