|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mouse’s stepfather whom he killed?
2. Easy recognizes Matthew Teran from where in Chapter 11?
3. What does the voice in Easy’s head respond when he considers running like Odell suggested in Chapter 14?
4. The woman who charges entrance to John’s Place tells Easy in Chapter 4 that who played there last week?
5. Easy is awakened by a call from Junior in Chapter 12, telling him that he recalled seeing Daphne Monet with whom the previous week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed in Mouse’s letter to Easy in Chapter 7? How does Easy respond to the letter?
2. What does Easy’s “inner voice” advise him to do in Chapter 14?
3. How is Daphne Monet’s home described in Chapter 13? What is symbolic about Daphne’s interior design?
4. Where does Easy take Daphne in Chapter 13? What do they find there?
5. Where does Easy go when he leaves the police station in Chapter 11? What interrupts his journey?
6. What do the police question Easy about in Chapter 10? How does Easy respond?
7. How does Daphne’s persona change at the end of Chapter 13? Where does she go?
8. How does Easy deal with his encounter with the first security guard at Albright’s office in Chapter 3? Why?
9. How does Easy respond to Mouse’s murder in the flashback in Chapter 7?
10. What led Easy to volunteer for combat in the flashback in Chapter 14? How does he describe this choice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Biblical allusion to “man’s fall” in the novel. How is this theme evoked through the imagery of Easy’s garden in the story? What correlations can be seen between Mr. Albright and Satan? How is Albright considered “snakelike”? What does his appearance foreshadow in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the imagery employed in the author’s descriptions of Daphne Monet’s home in Chapter 13. How is Daphne’s home a reflection of her character? What is symbolized by the furnishings described by the author? What color permeates the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the characters of Maxim Baxter and Todd Carter in Devil in a Blue Dress. How does Easy relate to each of these characters? What makes Easy believe that Todd Carter is not a danger to Daphne Monet? Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)