|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Mr. Albright give to Easy in Chapter 8?
2. When did the Battle of the Bulge begin?
3. What is the name of Mouse’s stepfather whom he killed?
4. The entrance to John’s Place is through the back wall of what establishment?
5. How much money does Mr. Albright give to Easy in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspect of Easy’s character is revealed through his interactions with Coretta in Chapter 6?
2. What does Easy learn about Navrochet’s murder in the flashback in Chapter 4?
3. How are Easy’s confrontations in Chapters 8 and 9 related?
4. How is the setting of Joppy’s Bar described in the opening of Chapter 1? What are the clientele like here?
5. What does Easy’s “inner voice” advise him to do in Chapter 14?
6. What are Easy Rawlins’s impressions of DeWitt Albright in Chapters 1 and 2?
7. Where does Easy take Daphne in Chapter 13? What do they find there?
8. What led Easy to volunteer for combat in the flashback in Chapter 14? How does he describe this choice?
9. What does Easy (and the reader) learn from Junior Fornay in Chapter 4?
10. How is Daphne Monet’s home described in Chapter 13? What is symbolic about Daphne’s interior design?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the protagonist Easy Rawlins in the novel. Given that the story is told from Easy’s point of view, how can the reader determine Easy’s personality objectively? What is revealed of Easy’s past? Do you think that the author develops this character in a way that makes him likable to the reader? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Devil in a Blue Dress. How does the author indicate this setting and the time period of the story in the first chapter? How important is the setting of the story to its plot progression? What tone does the author develop through the setting in the first chapters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Daphne Monet in Devil in a Blue Dress. How do Easy’s preconceived notions of Daphne compare with her reality when he first meets her in Chapter 13? How would you characterize Daphne’s behavior toward Easy? What secrets does Daphne harbor in the novel?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)