|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Throughout his interactions with Mr. Albright, Easy’s inner voice tells him to do what in Chapter 15?
2. Easy recalls in Chapter 14 that the first time his inner voice spoke to him was when he was trapped in a barn during the war where?
3. What object does Daphne take with her, saying it belongs to her friend, in Chapter 13?
4. The policemen who interrogate Easy in Chapter 10 ask where he was at five in the morning on what day?
5. The entrance to John’s Place is through the back wall of what establishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What Biblical allusion can be seen in Chapter 3?
2. How is Daphne Monet’s home described in Chapter 13? What is symbolic about Daphne’s interior design?
3. How are the two policemen described that Easy encounters in Chapter 10?
4. How does Easy respond to Mouse’s murder in the flashback in Chapter 7?
5. From what narrative point of view is the story related? What is notable about this style?
6. What is revealed in Mouse’s letter to Easy in Chapter 7? How does Easy respond to the letter?
7. What do Easy’s actions in Chapter 15 indicate about his character growth?
8. How does Easy feel about going to the Santa Monica pier in Chapter 8? Whom does he first meet there?
9. How does Easy deal with his encounter with the first security guard at Albright’s office in Chapter 3? Why?
10. How are the second security guards outside of Albright’s office described in Chapter 3? What happens with Easy’s encounter with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Biblical allusion to “man’s fall” in the novel. How is this theme evoked through the imagery of Easy’s garden in the story? What correlations can be seen between Mr. Albright and Satan? How is Albright considered “snakelike”? What does his appearance foreshadow in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of morality in Devil in a Blue Dress. Do you think that Easy Rawlins is a morally upstanding character? Why or why not? How do Easy’s actions in Chapter 6 illustrate his willingness to cross the lines of morality?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the characters of Maxim Baxter and Todd Carter in Devil in a Blue Dress. How does Easy relate to each of these characters? What makes Easy believe that Todd Carter is not a danger to Daphne Monet? Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)