|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Mr. Albright made for himself to drink while waiting for Easy to arrive at home in Chapter 15?
2. In what kind of car does Daphne leave after discovering her murdered friend in Chapter 13?
3. Easy tells Junior in Chapter 4 that he was fired from Champion for what reason?
4. Daphne convinces Easy to drive her to which friend’s house in Chapter 13?
5. What address does Easy tell Mr. Albright that Daphne is likely at with another man in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Easy’s initial impressions of Matthew Teran in Chapter 11?
2. How are the second security guards outside of Albright’s office described in Chapter 3? What happens with Easy’s encounter with them?
3. How does Easy feel about going to the Santa Monica pier in Chapter 8? Whom does he first meet there?
4. What does Easy dream about in Chapter 12? What does his dream signify?
5. From what narrative point of view is the story related? What is notable about this style?
6. What is revealed in Mouse’s letter to Easy in Chapter 7? How does Easy respond to the letter?
7. How is the setting of Joppy’s Bar described in the opening of Chapter 1? What are the clientele like here?
8. What led Easy to volunteer for combat in the flashback in Chapter 14? How does he describe this choice?
9. What Biblical allusion can be seen in Chapter 3?
10. How is John’s Place described in Chapter 4? What does the white man here ask Easy to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Odell Jones in the novel. How does the narrator describe Odell? What is Easy’s history with the character? What does Odell represent symbolically in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Zeppo in Chapter 19 and Zeppo’s relationship to the theme of racial identity. How is Zeppo described by the other characters? In what ways does Zeppo stand outside of the prescribed notions of race?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Easy’s encounter with the police in Chapter 10. How does this interaction reinforce the theme of racism and prejudice in the novel? How does Easy respond to his treatment? How does his response differ from his reactions to Benny Giacomo? Why?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)