|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mouse informs Easy in his letter that he’s been kicked out by his wife for cheating with a woman named what in Chapter 7?
2. In what neighborhood of Los Angeles does most of the action in Devil in a Blue Dress take place?
3. How has Daphne’s friend been murdered, according to the evidence found in Chapter 13?
4. What boy yells at the teenage girl for talking to Easy in Chapter 8?
5. What does Easy note Mr. Albright is wearing when he arrives at his office in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is John’s Place described in Chapter 4? What does the white man here ask Easy to do?
2. How is Daphne Monet’s home described in Chapter 13? What is symbolic about Daphne’s interior design?
3. How are the second security guards outside of Albright’s office described in Chapter 3? What happens with Easy’s encounter with them?
4. What does Easy’s “inner voice” advise him to do in Chapter 14?
5. What aspect of Easy’s character is revealed through his interactions with Coretta in Chapter 6?
6. What is revealed in Mouse’s letter to Easy in Chapter 7? How does Easy respond to the letter?
7. What is represented through the animal imagery in Chapter 10?
8. How is the setting of Joppy’s Bar described in the opening of Chapter 1? What are the clientele like here?
9. Where does Easy take Daphne in Chapter 13? What do they find there?
10. What does Easy dream about in Chapter 12? What does his dream signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Easy’s encounter with the police in Chapter 10. How does this interaction reinforce the theme of racism and prejudice in the novel? How does Easy respond to his treatment? How does his response differ from his reactions to Benny Giacomo? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Zeppo in Chapter 19 and Zeppo’s relationship to the theme of racial identity. How is Zeppo described by the other characters? In what ways does Zeppo stand outside of the prescribed notions of race?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of morality in Devil in a Blue Dress. Do you think that Easy Rawlins is a morally upstanding character? Why or why not? How do Easy’s actions in Chapter 6 illustrate his willingness to cross the lines of morality?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)