|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charlie describe life?
2. Who is the second person Sophie calls after leaving Claire's house?
3. What does Sophie drink with her pill?
4. What do Sophie and Otto almost fight about after the man is seen in the yard?
5. What did the cat do when it got into the box?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening in Otto's front yard after Sophie's night with Charlie? What does he do about it?
2. What does Claire tell Sophie she and Leon do when he stays over?
3. What does Sophie do while the cat is taken to the ASPCA?
4. How did the Bentwoods catch the cat?
5. What does the black man at the front door need from the Bentwoods?
6. What does Sophie hear as she leaves the hospital? Why does this upset her?
7. What does Otto promise to do for Sophie when they return from the hospital?
8. How does Sophie feel when she leaves Claire's house?
9. What does Otto feel determined to do after the hospital visit and why?
10. What does Sophie do after calling some hospitals? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a theme introduced near the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot? Which characters does it affect most?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme? How do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
What is the dynamic of Leon and Claire's relationship? How does this affect Sophie's opinion of them?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)