|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bell ringing in the hospital mean?
2. How did Otto feel when the cat got into the box?
3. What day did Sophie find out what happened to the cat?
4. Who is the second person Sophie calls after leaving Claire's house?
5. How does Claire say she and her ex-husband spoke when they were first married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sophie dream about after the cat is captured?
2. What does Sophie do while the cat is taken to the ASPCA?
3. How did the Bentwoods catch the cat?
4. How did Otto find out about Sophie and Charlie going out? What is his response to this?
5. What did a hospital attendant and a nurse criticize Sophie for doing?
6. What do the Bentwoods find when they get to their vacation home?
7. What is happening in Otto's front yard after Sophie's night with Charlie? What does he do about it?
8. Who is Mr. Haynes? How is his home described?
9. What does Sophie hope will happen when she flirts with Otto? What comes of it?
10. What does Leon say about society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Claire is a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What happened at the hospital? How does this change the dynamic of the relationship between Sophie and her husband?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)