|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people permanently live in Flynders?
2. What does Claire send home to give to Otto?
3. How does Sophie feel after telling Otto about going out with Charlie?
4. What upsets Sophie most about her hospital visit?
5. How does Claire say she and her ex-husband spoke when they were first married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tom? Why does he say the Bentwoods are lucky?
2. Whom does Sophie call after leaving Claire's house and before going to her own?
3. What does Sophie hope will happen when she flirts with Otto? What comes of it?
4. What is the relationship like between Claire and Leon?
5. How did the Bentwoods catch the cat?
6. What does Sophie do while the cat is taken to the ASPCA?
7. What did a hospital attendant and a nurse criticize Sophie for doing?
8. What did Sophie dream about after the cat is captured?
9. What do the Bentwoods find when they get to their vacation home?
10. What caused the split in the business partnership between Charlie and Otto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different symbols present in this book. What are these symbols? How does their presence alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear? How do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)