|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charlie say he feels about Otto?
2. What is the name of Sophie's former lover?
3. What does Mrs. Holstein like about the young generation?
4. Who does Sophie blame for being bitten by the cat?
5. What is Francis's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a loving bleeder?
2. What does Sophie do when Otto complains about Charlie at the beginning of the book?
3. Why is Otto so upset with his business partner at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Sophie talk to Otto about when she wakes him up at 3:00 am?
5. How does Sophie compare Otto and Charlie?
6. What does Sophie say had changed about her with age?
7. What shows Sophie that her marriage was in serious trouble before her affair?
8. Why did the Bentwoods never have children?
9. What does Charlie complain to Sophie about Bobby?
10. What does Sophie say about Francis as she falls asleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different symbols present in this book. What are these symbols? How does their presence alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal is a theme introduced near the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot? Which characters does it affect most?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances? How does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)