|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Sophie go shopping at the beginning of the book?
2. What annoys Otto about his neighborhood?
3. What is Mr. Holstein's first name?
4. How old are the Bentwoods in this book?
5. What does Otto say is falling apart when he leaves the Holsteins' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mike offer to do for Sophie at the party? What is her response?
2. What does Sophie do when Otto complains about Charlie at the beginning of the book?
3. What secret did Sophie tell Mike at the Holsteins' party?
4. What does Charlie complain to Sophie about Bobby?
5. What is a loving bleeder?
6. Why does Sophie wake up at 3:00 am?
7. Why does Otto not like Tanya?
8. Why did Sophie feel so rushed to get home while she is out alone with Charlie?
9. How do Sophie and Otto feel about Flo?
10. Why does Sophie finally confess to her husband about the bite from the cat? What is his reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between the Bentwoods change throughout the course of the plot? How do these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 2
How does this book illustrate the theme of diversity? Which characters does it affect most?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)