|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was thrown through the Holsteins' window?
(a) A stone.
(b) A block of ice.
(c) A brick.
(d) A metal rod.
2. What are Charlie and Sophie trying to buy early in the morning together?
3. What is Sophie distracted about while she and her husband head to the Holsteins' house?
(a) Her modest dress.
(b) Her headache.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her wound.
4. What did Mr. Bentwood compliment his wife on at the beginning of the book?
(a) Her vocal talents.
(b) Her appearance.
(c) Her kindness.
(d) Her dinner.
5. What is Francis's occupation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of problem does Francis have?
2. How does Sophie describe Charlie while she is with him?
3. Why did Sophie eventually tell her husband about the bite wound?
4. Where do the Holsteins live?
5. What word did Sophie use to describe Otto when she returned home from her outing with Charlie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sophie feel so rushed to get home while she is out alone with Charlie?
2. Why did the affair with Francis end?
3. What does Sophie say had changed about her with age?
4. What does Sophie say when she compares Charlie and Francis?
5. What does Sophie do when Otto complains about Charlie at the beginning of the book?
6. Why did Sophie tell Charlie she had not seen a doctor about her hand yet?
7. Why does Sophie wake up at 3:00 am?
8. What does Charlie complain to Sophie about Bobby?
9. Why did the Bentwoods never have children?
10. What does Sophie say about Francis as she falls asleep?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)