|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Sophie that her wound is nothing to worry about at the Holsteins' house?
(a) Mrs. Holstein.
(d) Mr. Holstein.
2. Why do the Bentwoods not have any children at the beginning of the book?
(a) Otto cannot have any.
(b) They do not want any.
(c) They are waiting until they are more financially stable.
(d) Sophie cannot have any.
3. What did Otto chide Sophie for doing with the cat?
(a) Letting it in.
(b) Letting it stay in the barn.
(c) Feeding it.
(d) Kicking it.
4. Where did Sophie and Francis first meet alone?
(a) The library.
(b) The office.
(c) A park.
(d) His apartment.
5. Which of his business partner's attributes does Mr. Bentwood hate the most?
(a) His impetuousness.
(b) His cowardice.
(c) His unintelligence.
(d) His melodrama.
Short Answer Questions
1. What annoys Otto about his neighborhood?
2. Who does Sophie blame for being bitten by the cat?
3. How many children does Francis have?
4. What is the name of Mr. Bentwood's business partner?
5. How does Sophie wake up Otto after the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sophie finally confess to her husband about the bite from the cat? What is his reaction?
2. What does Sophie say had changed about her with age?
3. What does Sophie do when Otto complains about Charlie at the beginning of the book?
4. What did Sophie do when she saw the stray cat at her back door?
5. What kind of law case does Otto refuse to take on and why?
6. How do Francis and Sophie communicate during their affair?
7. How does Sophie compare Otto and Charlie?
8. How do Sophie and Otto feel about Flo?
9. How does Sophie feel when she and Francis first touch?
10. Why did Sophie feel so rushed to get home while she is out alone with Charlie?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)