|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old are the Bentwoods in this book?
(a) In their 30's.
(b) In their 20's.
(c) In their 40's.
(d) In their 50's.
2. Where does Charlie get into a public argument?
(a) A courthouse.
(b) A market.
(c) A bar.
(d) A park.
3. What does Charlie say will be destroyed when Otto and Charlie are no longer working together?
(a) Her source of prosperity.
(b) Her marriage.
(c) Her hope of fun.
(d) Her tie to the world.
4. Why did Sophie feel sorry for the cat?
(a) It will not purr.
(b) It is skinny.
(c) It has been mistreated.
(d) It is missing an eye.
5. What are Charlie and Sophie trying to buy early in the morning together?
6. In which branch of the military did Charlie serve?
(d) Air Force.
7. Where do the Holsteins live?
(a) The Upper East Side.
(b) The Bronx Mansions.
(c) Manhattan Projects.
(d) Brooklyn Heights.
8. What has Mr. Bentwood noticed about his neighborhood at the beginning of the book?
(a) Many neighbors are away on vacation.
(b) A few men have died.
(c) Some houses have been sold.
(d) Younger people are moving in.
9. What is Alice's last name?
10. What is Francis's apartment full of?
11. What is Sophie distracted about while she and her husband head to the Holsteins' house?
(a) Her headache.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her wound.
(d) Her modest dress.
12. What was thrown through the Holsteins' window?
(a) A metal rod.
(b) A stone.
(c) A brick.
(d) A block of ice.
13. What label does Sophie give her former lover?
(a) A living need.
(b) A healer.
(c) A loving bleeder.
(d) A giver.
14. What does Sophie watch Otto do when she gets home from her outing with Charlie?
15. What does Mr. Bentwood say his partner's role is in the business?
(a) To follow orders.
(b) To market the business.
(c) To track finances.
(d) To wine and dine people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the cat bite Sophie?
2. What big secret does Sophie confide in Charlie about?
3. Where did Charlie and Otto meet?
4. Why did Sophie not want to go to the Holsteins' house at the beginning of the book?
5. What annoys Otto about his neighborhood?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)