|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the rudder when they pull away from the iceberg?
2. What does Aubrey decide to use as stern chasers?
3. What does Aubrey do with the forge?
4. What is put under the kneel of the ship which finally staunches the flow of water?
5. What does the Gypsy woman name her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the fact that the Waakzaamheid has found the Leopard mean as far as the Dutch captain goes?
2. Why does Aubrey allow Grant and others to leave the ship?
3. What does Aubrey have done to his cabin and why?
4. What sort of mystical or less than "real" explanation is given as a cause for the ship's survival?
5. How does Aubrey feel when the Dutch ship sinks?
6. Why is the Leopard outclassed by the Waakzaamheid?
7. Of particular interest is the technical discussion concerning scurvy and Maturin's rather ridiculous speech regarding the desirability of flatulence. Indeed, the medical practices of the time are compelling and, one leaves one wondering about their efficacy. What do you think the mortality rate for medical treatment in those times might be? Explain your answer.
8. How does Aubrey win the battle with the Dutch ship?
9. What does the superstitious crew say about Larkin and about the Dutch ship?
10. Discuss a few of the nautical technical information given in this chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the entire series of novels concerning Captain Jack Aubrey takes place during the Napoleonic Wars; therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the naval aspect of the Napoleonic Wars between Britain and France.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
4. Write an expository essay on how the Napoleonic War affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britain, France, or Spain.
Essay Topic 2
Grant takes over for Aubrey and though he is competent, he is unwilling to take advice which results in the Leopard being seriously disabled. Grant and some other officers and seaman take to the lifeboats. Though Aubrey thinks it is not necessary to abandon ship, he allows the men to leave. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think it is wise on the part of Aubrey to allow Grant to captain the ship even though Grant was most senior next to Aubrey? Did Aubrey have a choice?
2. Do you think it is wise of Aubrey to let the men go with the boats and provisions without a fight considering if they were unable to save the Leopard, there were no lifeboats left?
3. What do you think happens to Grant and the others who left in the lifeboats?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of DESOLATION ISLAND.
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of DESOLATION ISLAND.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)