|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Putnam need Maturin's help?
2. What are three food resources that Desolation Island has in abundance?
3. What does the part of the crew that takes the boats and leave the ship take with them?
4. What type of plant on Desolation Island does Maturin think will be good for the crew?
5. What does Aubrey have done to his cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision of Aubrey's does Grant criticize?
2. Grant is finally thrust into the position of leadership he has so long desired. How do you think he felt when he was able to take over the ship's operations?
3. Why does Aubrey allow Grant and others to leave the ship?
4. La Fayette has a forge but Aubrey cannot in good conscience request a favor--England and America are nearly at war. Likewise, Putnam, La Fayette's master, will not request favors from Aubrey. Do you think it is strange that on an island in the middle of nowhere a ship's captain wouldn't be bound by some rule of hospitality? Why or why not?
5. What does the superstitious crew say about Larkin and about the Dutch ship?
6. Why is the Leopard outclassed by the Waakzaamheid?
7. Describe Grant's capabilities during combat and during regular ship operations.
8. How does the author attempt to make Aubrey appear?
9. What danger is the Leopard facing after the battle with the Dutch?
10. Why does Aubrey decide Cape Town is not a good destination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Aubrey's seamanship with that of Grant.
2. Thoroughly analyze the character of Mrs. Wogan, discussing both her strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot. .
3. Thoroughly analyze the character of Jack Aubrey, discussing both his strong and weak points and how both affect the outcome of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Readers learn that Aubrey's ship surgeon, Maturin, is heavily addicted to opium. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the use of opium is not regulated as it is today?
2. Do you think it is a more or less enlightened society that regulates personal drug use? Explain.
3. Do you think the execution of Maturin's duties are compromised by his frequent use of opium? Why or why not? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Sailors are notoriously superstitious. Even Aubrey, though very bright in many ways, is somewhat superstitious, a trait common to many sailors. Discuss the following:
1. What is superstition? Can you name a few common superstitions? Do any of them seem to have any validity in logic?
2. Why do you think sailors have the reputation for being superstitious? Do you think it is true? What superstitions are mentioned in Desolation Island?
3. What are some of the superstitions you are familiar with that sailors seem to believe? Do you believe any of them? Why or why not?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)