|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a fourth-rate ship-of-the-line with a tarnished history?
2. Who pursues the Leopard?
3. How did the prisoners feel during the storm?
4. What does Aubrey do about the peeping hole?
5. How did the prisoners' quarters appear after the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the epidemic hits and who does Herapath replace?
2. How does Maturin manipulate Herapath?
3. Who is Lieutenant Grant and what is Aubrey's problem with him?
4. Who visits Aubrey often and what does he find Aubrey involved in with his initial visit in this book?
5. Maturin begins to mention Herapath to Wogan as a unique case--she claims an interest because she had seen his fall. It seems simple enough to Maturin, and soon enough he discusses Herapath with Wogan freely. All along, the three maintain their innocence. What do you think it means when Maturin thinks Wogan's explanation is dimple enough?
6. Why is Maturin called to the Admiralty?
7. Grant subtly but constantly criticizes Aubrey's handling of the ship--an irritating trait in any man but particularly when directed at such an obvious nautical genius as Aubrey. Why do you think Grant continues to criticize a captain who is obviously a superior seaman?
8. What does Pullings find after the storm?
9. With whom is Maturin enamored and how is that going for him?
10. Where do Maturin and Aubrey go so Aubrey can play cards and how did it go there for Aubrey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An American spy, Mrs. Wogan will accompany Maturin and Aubrey on the Leopard. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think a female American is a spy for the British?
2. Compare the difference between how Maturin and Aubrey treat Mrs. Wogan.
3. Do you think it was solely for professional reasons that Maturin in the auspices of the ship's surgeon, examines Mrs. Wogan?
4. In that era, most sailors believe woman should not be on a ship and they brought bad luck. Do you think any of that attitude is still present in the seagoing services (US Navy, US Coast Guard and Merchant Marines). This may require some research.
Essay Topic 2
The British Navy in this era is very flexible in letting their Captains and other officers use their own style of command. Discuss the following:
1. Whose command style seems most effective? Why? Give examples.
2. Whose command style seems least effective? Why? Give examples.
3. Sometimes the crew will mutineer against a tyrannical Captain: Is mutiny ever justifiable? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Much attention is given to the treatment of both wounds and illnesses by Maturin. Maturin seems far more advanced than the typical doctor of that era. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the medical remedies Maturin uses in Desolation Island to that which would be done in our modern world.
2. Many wars are partially, if not completely, determined by factors other than the actual fighting. One of those factors is disease. Research and discuss how epidemics/pandemics have influenced the outcome of three different wars throughout history.
3. Discuss some of the medical remedies Maturin performs/uses that were probably not used in that era.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)