|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Gypsy woman name her daughter?
2. What does Aubrey think he should do about Waakzaamheid?
(a) Avoid any confrontation.
(b) Capture her for the prize money.
(c) Go after her.
(d) Drop the prisoners off before looking for her.
3. Why do many of the crew drop out of work?
(b) Lack of food.
(d) Lack of water.
4. What does Wogan want Herapath to do?
(a) Steal the intelligence in the safe.
(b) Copy any intelligence on the ship.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Get her off the ship before Botany Bay.
5. What does Aubrey develop in case they find Waakzaamheid?
(a) A new watch bill.
(b) A different configuation for the guns.
(c) A new kind of explosive.
(d) A type of harpon that could sink Waakzaamheid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leopard miss within eyesight?
2. What do they have to do to Leopard before they can repair her hull?
3. What does Herapath tell Maturin about opium?
4. How does Waakzaamheid finally close in on Leopard?
5. How does Herapath feel when doing what Wogan wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss a few of the nautical technical information given in this chapter.
2. What does Aubrey have done to his cabin and why?
3. Why does Aubrey think the Dutch captain keeps pursuing Leopard? Is this supposition of his confirmed?
4. La Fayette has a forge but Aubrey cannot in good conscience request a favor--England and America are nearly at war. Explain why Aubrey's decision to not ask for help was irresponsible to his crew and ship.
5. Why do you think Maturin planted false information with Wogan?
6. What does Herapath's relating his experience with opium cause Maturin to do and why?
7. Why does Aubrey allow Grant and others to leave the ship?
8. While the crew works, Maturin visits a small island in the bay--it is so encumbered of strange life that Maturin christens it Paradise. Why do you think Maturin named the island Paradise considering it is near Antarctica and is probably pretty cold?
9. Grant is finally thrust into the position of leadership he has so long desired. How do you think he felt when he was able to take over the ship's operations?
10. Describe Grant's capabilities during combat and during regular ship operations.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)