|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maturin tell Putnam when he works on him?
(a) They need the use of a forge.
(b) To exercise more.
(c) To quit drinking rum.
(d) To eat more vegetables.
2. What does the crew believe is causing the Dutch ship's ability to stay with Leopard?
(a) A top sail look out who has incredible eyesight.
(b) Magical communication.
(c) Psychic ability.
(d) A Dutch spy sending mirror signals.
3. What happens when Aubrey pulls the ship away from the ice?
(b) The hull is breached and it takes on water.
(c) The ship slides off and is blown north.
(d) He can't get away from the ice.
4. What does Waakzaamheid try to destroy on Leopard?
(a) The rudder.
(b) The main mast.
(c) The guns.
(d) The sails.
5. What does Maturin start to notice?
(a) Wogan's charms as a woman.
(b) Herapath's meetings with Wogan.
(c) The crew getting sick again.
(d) Wogan's lack of brains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herapath do when he isn't helping Maturin?
2. What does Wogan want Herapath to do?
3. What does Aubrey think about the Dutch captain?
4. What does Aubrey decide to use as stern chasers?
5. How well does Grant handle a ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. La Fayette has a forge but Aubrey cannot in good conscience request a favor--England and America are nearly at war. Likewise, Putnam, La Fayette's master, will not request favors from Aubrey. Do you think it is strange that on an island in the middle of nowhere a ship's captain wouldn't be bound by some rule of hospitality? Why or why not?
2. Discuss a few of the nautical technical information given in this chapter.
3. How does Aubrey feel when the Dutch ship sinks?
4. What danger is the Leopard facing after the battle with the Dutch?
5. Why is the Leopard outclassed by the Waakzaamheid?
6. From what is the ship saved right after it makes safe harbor at Desolation Island?
7. Why is Leopard in danger in Chapter 8 and how much danger is there?
8. While the crew works, Maturin visits a small island in the bay--it is so encumbered of strange life that Maturin christens it Paradise. Why do you think Maturin named the island Paradise considering it is near Antarctica and is probably pretty cold?
9. Why does Leopard end up too far south?
10. Why do you think Maturin planted false information with Wogan?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)