|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of plant on Desolation Island does Maturin think will be good for the crew?
(a) A type of yellowish and pungent cabbage.
(b) A type of red radish.
(d) Pomegranate trees.
2. What does Maturin tell Herapath about the La Fayette?
(a) It will probably sail to South America.
(b) If he managed to get to the deck he would be free.
(c) Wogan will be going over to it.
(d) It will take him back to England.
3. What does Herapath do when he isn't helping Maturin?
(a) Studies the wildlife.
(b) Writes in his journal.
(c) Spends his time with Wogan.
(d) Works on the ship.
4. What is put under the kneel of the ship which finally staunches the flow of water?
(a) Planks from the decking.
(b) A large chuck of ice lodged in the hole.
(c) A third fothering-sail.
(d) All of the canvas that isn't being used.
5. What does Maturin decide about Wogan and Herapath?
(a) They will be married by Aubrey.
(b) They won't be taken to Botany Bay.
(c) They have to go free since she's pregnant.
(d) They are actually good people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What needs to be made in order to mount the rudder?
2. What type of shot would Aubrey use against smaller boats?
3. About what does Babbington warn Grant?
4. Why can't Aubrey ask to use the forge from the ship that showed up?
5. What is Maturin surprised to learn about the crew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grant is finally thrust into the position of leadership he has so long desired. How do you think he felt when he was able to take over the ship's operations?
2. Why does Aubrey allow Grant and others to leave the ship?
3. What does the crew do after being safely anchored and what repair is impossible and why?
4. Why is Leopard in danger in Chapter 8 and how much danger is there?
5. La Fayette has a forge but Aubrey cannot in good conscience request a favor--England and America are nearly at war. Explain why Aubrey's decision to not ask for help was irresponsible to his crew and ship.
6. What danger is the Leopard facing after the battle with the Dutch?
7. While the crew works, Maturin visits a small island in the bay--it is so encumbered of strange life that Maturin christens it Paradise. Why do you think Maturin named the island Paradise considering it is near Antarctica and is probably pretty cold?
8. What does the superstitious crew say about Larkin and about the Dutch ship?
9. What does Herapath's relating his experience with opium cause Maturin to do and why?
10. What does the fact that the Waakzaamheid has found the Leopard mean as far as the Dutch captain goes?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)