|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aubrey develop in case they find Waakzaamheid?
(a) A new watch bill.
(b) A type of harpon that could sink Waakzaamheid.
(c) A different configuation for the guns.
(d) A new kind of explosive.
2. Who is Peggy Barnes?
(a) Grant's wife.
(b) Wogan's spying partner.
(c) A woman prisoner.
(d) Wogan's servant.
3. What does Maturin decide to do with Wogan?
(a) Use her to plant false information.
(b) Have an affair with her.
(c) Let her go to South America.
(d) Let her stay pregnant.
4. What is sighted on the sea in Chapter 6?
(a) A ship wreck.
(c) A British war ship.
(d) A large pod of dolphins.
5. What type of surprise attack does the Dutch captain set up one night?
(a) Hitting the bow with a whaling harpoon.
(b) Shooting fire arrows.
(c) Surrounding Leopard with small boats.
(d) Sending swimmers over to board Leopard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do most of the crew members think about their future?
2. How does Herapath feel when doing what Wogan wants?
3. What does Aubrey have done to his cabin?
4. What does Maturin start to notice?
5. What is Maturin surprised to learn about the crew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Grant's capabilities during combat and during regular ship operations.
2. What does the fact that the Waakzaamheid has found the Leopard mean as far as the Dutch captain goes?
3. Discuss a few of the nautical technical information given in this chapter.
4. Of particular interest is the technical discussion concerning scurvy and Maturin's rather ridiculous speech regarding the desirability of flatulence. Indeed, the medical practices of the time are compelling and, one leaves one wondering about their efficacy. What do you think the mortality rate for medical treatment in those times might be? Explain your answer.
5. Why is Leopard in danger in Chapter 8 and how much danger is there?
6. Meanwhile, Maturin has subtly informed Herapath--an American, it will be remembered--that should he gain the deck of La Fayette he would be free to leave with her; Aubrey would not risk an incident by boarding the American whaler. Do you think Maturin letting Herapath and Wogan escape was an act of treason?
7. How does Aubrey win the battle with the Dutch ship?
8. Why does Aubrey allow Grant and others to leave the ship?
9. What does Aubrey have done to his cabin and why?
10. What sort of mystical or less than "real" explanation is given as a cause for the ship's survival?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)