|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Killick and Bonden?
(a) Two lawyers suing Aubrey.
(b) Two of Aubrey's former shipmates.
(c) A couple privateers.
(d) Aubrey's two best friends.
2. What does Aubrey do about the peeping hole?
(b) Puts a stop to it.
(c) Tells Maturin he can use it for spying activities.
(d) Uses it himself.
3. What does Maturin do about the prisoners' illness?
(a) He allows it to spread so people will become immune.
(b) Tries to contain it.
(c) Cures it with medicine.
(d) He has no treatment for it.
4. Where does Aubrey head after the illness is over?
(b) West Indies.
5. Why does Sophie talk Aubrey into keeping the command of Leopard?
(a) To get him out to sea.
(b) So Maturin has something to do.
(c) So he will get some more pay.
(d) So he doesn't find out she's with child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins to assist Maturin in sick bay?
2. What does Wogan say as to why she is interested in Herapath?
3. Who does Aubrey visit after inspecting the prisoners' quarters?
4. What is the windless place called that the ship encounters?
5. What does Herapath ask of Maturin when Maturin goes ashore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Aubrey encounter as they leave Brazil and what does he find out?
2. What is Aubrey doing at the beginning of the novel?
3. The rescue of Herapath begins the novel's restrained, intricate, and playful treatment of the sexually-charged atmosphere of a man-of-war with hundreds of men and three women--one of them obviously pregnant and all of them dangerous criminals. What do you think is meant by this statement?
4. Why has Villiers left her home?
5. What kind of storm does Aubrey hit when he first sails and what does he do about it?
6. Who comes to call on Maturin after he leaves the Admiralty and what does he say?
7. Wogan's viewing of Aubrey's nude body is humorous and a fictional inversion of usual events. Why do you think the scene is an inversion of usual events?
8. What does Aubrey find when he inspects the prisoners' quarters and what happens when he sees Wogan?
9. How does Maturin manipulate Herapath?
10. A somewhat unique connection is forged between Aubrey and Herapath during the rescue-from-drowning scene. Why do you think this connection occurred?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)