|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who begins to assist Maturin in sick bay?
2. What does Maturin find at Villiers' apartments?
(a) The place was empty.
(b) A stack of bills to pay.
(c) Her cat needing food.
(d) The place had been ransacked.
3. From whom does Maturin receive a summons?
(a) His father.
(b) Naval intelligence.
(c) The queen.
(d) The Admiralty.
4. How does Herapath feel when he gets to the top of the ropes?
(a) Inspired by the view.
(b) Very strong and powerful.
(c) Like joining the navy.
(d) Very afraid.
5. What interrupts the daily routine on the ship Saturday?
(a) A storm.
(b) A punishment.
(c) A birthday party.
(d) Mail call.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Michael Herapath?
2. Who is Aubrey supposed to reinstate?
3. What did Villiers leave Maturin?
4. How does Wogan appear after the storm?
5. Into what does the Leopard crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits Aubrey often and what does he find Aubrey involved in with his initial visit in this book?
2. What does Pullings find after the storm?
3. What happens to the convalescents on the ship?
4. Who does Aubrey encounter as they leave Brazil and what does he find out?
5. A somewhat unique connection is forged between Aubrey and Herapath during the rescue-from-drowning scene. Why do you think this connection occurred?
6. What does the ship enter farther north than usual and what happens when it is there?
7. Maturin begins to mention Herapath to Wogan as a unique case--she claims an interest because she had seen his fall. It seems simple enough to Maturin, and soon enough he discusses Herapath with Wogan freely. All along, the three maintain their innocence. What do you think it means when Maturin thinks Wogan's explanation is dimple enough?
8. What is Sophie doing about Aubrey's excesses?
9. How do the prisoners fare during the storm and what crimes do they commit?
10. Who is Louisa Wogan and what happened to her?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)