|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one purpose of Aubrey's trip?
(a) To incite a revolt.
(b) To transport criminals to the penal colony.
(c) To map the seas around the Horn.
(d) To meet with the native chiefs.
2. Where does Aubrey weather the storm?
(a) Bay of Biscay.
(b) Sea of Bengali.
(c) Mediterranean Sea.
(d) Black Sea.
3. What do Wogan and Herapath attempt to do about their feelings?
(a) Hide them.
(b) Restrain them.
(c) Show them.
(d) Act upon them by getting married.
4. What interrupts the daily routine on the ship Saturday?
(a) A storm.
(b) A birthday party.
(c) A punishment.
(d) Mail call.
5. What is a fourth-rate ship-of-the-line with a tarnished history?
(a) HMS Ironsides.
(b) HMS Leopard.
(c) HMS Panther.
(d) HMS Elizabeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maturin asked to do?
2. What is the windless place called that the ship encounters?
3. Into what does the Leopard crash?
4. What does Wogan say as to why she is interested in Herapath?
5. Who does Aubrey visit after inspecting the prisoners' quarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grant subtly but constantly criticizes Aubrey's handling of the ship--an irritating trait in any man but particularly when directed at such an obvious nautical genius as Aubrey. Why do you think Grant continues to criticize a captain who is obviously a superior seaman?
2. What happens to the convalescents on the ship?
3. A somewhat unique connection is forged between Aubrey and Herapath during the rescue-from-drowning scene. Why do you think this connection occurred?
4. What kind of storm does Aubrey hit when he first sails and what does he do about it?
5. Why is Maturin called to the Admiralty?
6. What does Maturin receive from Herapath twice and what does he find out?
7. With whom is Maturin enamored and how is that going for him?
8. Who visits Aubrey often and what does he find Aubrey involved in with his initial visit in this book?
9. What is Aubrey doing at the beginning of the novel?
10. Who comes to call on Maturin after he leaves the Admiralty and what does he say?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)