|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Leopard hits a submerged iceberg?
(a) It comes up out of the water.
(b) It wrenches the boat.
(c) It gets stuck on the ice.
(d) It splits in half.
2. What does Herapath tell Maturin about opium?
(a) He has never tried it.
(b) He has smoked it often in his life.
(c) It is too addictive to use.
(d) He wants to see what it's like.
3. What does Maturin decide about Wogan and Herapath?
(a) They are actually good people.
(b) They will be married by Aubrey.
(c) They have to go free since she's pregnant.
(d) They won't be taken to Botany Bay.
4. How is the crew feeling when they finally come into the harbor at Desolation Island?
(c) Energetic and ready to repair the ship.
5. What does Aubrey have his crew practicing extensively?
(a) Taking the sails up and down.
(b) Gunnery skills.
(c) Turning the ship in a tight circle.
(d) Putting out fires.
6. What does Maturin tell Herapath about the La Fayette?
(a) It will take him back to England.
(b) Wogan will be going over to it.
(c) If he managed to get to the deck he would be free.
(d) It will probably sail to South America.
7. What does Aubrey notice about the Dutch captain when the ship closes in?
(a) He is someone Aubrey knows.
(b) He is dressed in black.
(c) He is not in uniform.
(d) He is a Moor.
8. What is put under the kneel of the ship which finally staunches the flow of water?
(a) A large chuck of ice lodged in the hole.
(b) A third fothering-sail.
(c) All of the canvas that isn't being used.
(d) Planks from the decking.
9. What does Herapath tell Maturin about Wogan?
(a) She is innocent.
(b) She needs to have better food.
(c) She is pregnant with his child.
(d) He wants to marry her.
10. What does Aubrey announce to the ship when he takes the deck briefly?
(a) They are going around the southern tip of South America.
(b) They are heading back to England.
(c) They are going to Cape Town.
(d) They will not stop at Cape Town.
11. In what direction is Leopard driven as she seeks to avoid combat?
12. For how long does Putnam loan the forge?
(a) One day.
(b) A week.
(c) Two days.
(d) A few hours.
13. What does Aubrey decide to use as stern chasers?
(a) Three fourteen pounders.
(b) A long canon eight pounder.
(c) A fourteen and eleven pounder brass canons.
(d) Two brass long nine pounders.
14. How does Leopard compare to Waakzaamheid?
(a) Leopard is faster.
(b) They have comparable gunnery systems.
(c) Waakzaamheid is larger but clumsy.
(d) It is completely outclassed.
15. What does Aubrey have the crew doing at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Going after those who left.
(b) Pack up everything and abandon ship.
(c) Continuing pumping and repairing the ship.
(d) Spending the night on the ice island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What needs to be made in order to mount the rudder?
2. What does Aubrey think about the Dutch captain?
3. What does Maturin tell Putnam when he works on him?
4. What happens when Aubrey pulls the ship away from the ice?
5. What does Aubrey do after the ship is repaired?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)