|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the wind and waves so heavy where Leopard is located?
(a) They are so far south.
(b) They are almost in the Pacific.
(c) They are near the west coast of South America.
(d) They are so far north.
2. What does Aubrey have rigged to help steer the ship?
(a) An addition to the kneel.
(b) A side fin.
(c) A new rudder.
(d) A large steering oar.
3. How does Herapath feel about his relationship with Wogan?
(a) It's been unhappy.
(b) She loves him very much.
(c) It's been exciting.
(d) He wants to know her better.
4. What does Larkin do during lunch one day?
(a) Throws his food at Aubrey.
(b) Throws Herapath overboard.
(c) Rapes Wogan.
(d) Murders Howard.
5. What does Aubrey have the crew doing at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Continuing pumping and repairing the ship.
(b) Spending the night on the ice island.
(c) Pack up everything and abandon ship.
(d) Going after those who left.
6. Why does Putnam need Maturin's help?
(a) He has a bad tooth.
(b) He has allergies.
(c) He has gaol fever.
(d) He has a broken arm.
7. What does Maturin tell Putnam when he works on him?
(a) To eat more vegetables.
(b) They need the use of a forge.
(c) To exercise more.
(d) To quit drinking rum.
8. What does the crew get from Peggy?
(a) Venereal disease.
(b) Entertainment from her singing.
(c) Subtle put downs.
(d) Reading instruction.
9. What needs to be made in order to mount the rudder?
(a) A steel mounting bracket.
(b) New iron straps and pins.
(c) Iron pegs and rudder casting.
(d) New lag bolts.
10. What does Leopard miss within eyesight?
(b) Port Jackson.
(c) A large ice island.
(d) Cape Town.
11. What ethnic background is Boswell?
12. What happens when Aubrey pulls the ship away from the ice?
(a) The hull is breached and it takes on water.
(b) The ship slides off and is blown north.
(c) He can't get away from the ice.
13. What does Aubrey try to do when Babbington calls him to the deck?
(a) Sail away from a large ice island.
(b) Court martial Grant.
(c) Go north against the wind.
(d) Pull in near a large island.
14. What does Maturin see medically in the crew?
(a) Signs that gaol fever is returning.
(b) Early signs of scurvy.
(c) The crew is healthy from all the hard work.
(d) Signs of bubonic plague.
15. What does Grant want to do as the ship continues to settle?
(a) Abandon ship.
(b) Repair it with ice.
(c) He has no opinion.
(d) Pull it onto the island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin resume on board the ship?
2. What does Maturin decide about Wogan and Herapath?
3. What do Maturin and Herapath do once late into the night?
4. What does Aubrey notice about the Dutch captain when the ship closes in?
5. What does Grant constantly do that drives Aubrey crazy?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)