|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herapath tell Maturin about Wogan?
(a) She needs to have better food.
(b) She is innocent.
(c) She is pregnant with his child.
(d) He wants to marry her.
2. What do most of the crew members think about their future?
(a) They will die from scurvy.
(b) They will make it to Botany Bay.
(c) They will starve to death.
(d) They will survive.
3. What does Aubrey think about the Dutch captain?
(a) He must be psychic.
(b) He must need money desperately.
(c) He is new and wants to prove himself.
(d) He must be devoted to combat.
4. What does Aubrey decide to use as stern chasers?
(a) A long canon eight pounder.
(b) Three fourteen pounders.
(c) A fourteen and eleven pounder brass canons.
(d) Two brass long nine pounders.
5. How does Herapath feel when doing what Wogan wants?
(a) Like he's betraying Maturin.
(b) Like he's a real spy.
(c) Like he's going to be a father.
(d) Like he has outsmarted Maturin.
6. Why do many of the crew drop out of work?
(a) Lack of water.
(c) Lack of food.
7. What does the crew believe about the death of Larkin?
(a) The ship will now be lucky.
(b) He didn't have a chance locked up in the hold.
(c) He never got to prove his innocence.
(d) He should have a funeral.
8. What does Aubrey have the crew doing at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Pack up everything and abandon ship.
(b) Continuing pumping and repairing the ship.
(c) Spending the night on the ice island.
(d) Going after those who left.
9. What does Aubrey explain to Maturin at dinner?
(a) How he plans to get the prisoners to Botany Bay.
(b) How their position is too far east.
(c) How he plans to escape Waakzaamheid.
(d) How he plans to get back to England.
10. How does Waakzaamheid finally close in on Leopard?
(a) In the night.
(b) During a heavy fog.
(c) In heavy weather that slows Leopard down.
(d) By slipping grappling hooks on the stern.
11. What does Maturin think about Aubrey's wounds?
(a) He needs surgery.
(b) He may be brain damaged.
(c) He will always limp.
(d) He will recover fine.
12. What does Aubrey lament the loss of during the chase from the Dutch ship?
(a) The loss of Larkin.
(b) The loss of two cannons.
(c) That Grant was killed.
(d) That Pullings isn't there.
13. What does Aubrey try to do when Babbington calls him to the deck?
(a) Pull in near a large island.
(b) Go north against the wind.
(c) Court martial Grant.
(d) Sail away from a large ice island.
14. What type of shot would Aubrey use against smaller boats?
(a) Small cannon fire.
(b) Grape shot.
(c) Small arms fire.
(d) Repeating rifle fire.
15. What does Larkin do during lunch one day?
(a) Rapes Wogan.
(b) Murders Howard.
(c) Throws Herapath overboard.
(d) Throws his food at Aubrey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin tell Herapath about the La Fayette?
2. Who does Maturin stop from going after Herapath?
3. What does Aubrey think is the reason the Dutch captain keeps pursuing them?
4. What is sighted on the sea in Chapter 6?
5. What is Maturin surprised to learn about the crew?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)