|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which direction does Aubrey head after the storm?
2. Why can't Herapath receive an appointment to his position?
(a) He has never been sworn into the navy.
(b) He is an American.
(c) He is French.
(d) He is too well educated.
3. Of what crime is Villiers accused?
(a) Being a thief.
(b) Being in debt more than six months old.
(c) Being a prostitute.
(d) Being a spy.
4. With what does Maturin find Aubrey busy?
(a) Get-rich-quick schemes.
(b) Playing polo.
5. What does Maturin say in his journal about Herapath?
(a) That he is rather dumb.
(b) That he will make a good sailor.
(c) That he is a French spy.
(d) That he recently came upon him talking to Wogan.
6. What is Aubrey doing as the novel opens?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Coming up before the review board.
(c) Hiring crew.
(d) Living a life of dissipation.
7. Who is Stephen Maturin?
(a) A con artist who sells Aubrey a lame horse.
(b) The Duke of Glasson.
(c) Sohpie's husband.
(d) A renowned surgeon and natural scientist.
8. On what vessel had there been a mutiny?
(a) The Leopard.
(b) The Exeter.
(c) The Bounty.
(d) The Bligh.
9. How does Martin, Maturin's assistant, fare with the illness?
(a) He doesn't get better but doesn't die.
(b) He never gets it.
(c) He dies from it.
(d) He recovers.
10. What does Aubrey tell Maturin about the card players he's been with?
(a) They are sharpers.
(b) He won a bunch from them last night.
(c) They have been run out of town.
(d) They aren't cheating.
11. What does Aubrey do Saturday evening?
(a) Takes Wogan for a walk.
(b) Writes a long letter to Sophie.
(c) Gets tipsy.
(d) Goes to bed early.
12. In what part of the ship were the prisoners held?
(a) Rear hold.
(c) Cargo bay.
(d) The forepeak.
13. Why is Herapath in trouble?
(a) Drinking on duty.
(b) Stealing food.
(c) Sneaking in to see Wogan.
(d) Absent during watch.
14. What happens with the prisoners as the ship sits still?
(a) The symptoms change.
(b) It's not affected one way or the other.
(c) They begin to recover.
(d) Their illness accelerates.
15. Who begins to assist Maturin in sick bay?
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts the daily routine on the ship Saturday?
2. What is the windless place called that the ship encounters?
3. Who makes accusations against Villiers?
4. What nationality is Louisa Wogan?
5. What happens when Herapath goes aloft?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)