|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aubrey do Saturday evening?
(a) Gets tipsy.
(b) Writes a long letter to Sophie.
(c) Goes to bed early.
(d) Takes Wogan for a walk.
2. How many people have died from the illness?
3. How does Herapath feel when he gets to the top of the ropes?
(a) Very strong and powerful.
(b) Like joining the navy.
(c) Very afraid.
(d) Inspired by the view.
4. What happens with the prisoners as the ship sits still?
(a) The symptoms change.
(b) It's not affected one way or the other.
(c) Their illness accelerates.
(d) They begin to recover.
5. How did the prisoners' quarters appear after the storm?
(a) About the same as the rest of the ship.
(b) Vile and filthy.
(c) The same as when started.
(d) Clean and neat.
6. What does Maturin feel as he travels to call on Villiers?
(b) Hopeful she will marry him.
(c) A little anxious.
(d) Self-critical observations and dread.
7. How is Sophie characterized?
(d) Thrifty and wise.
8. To what group is Aubrey appointed?
(a) The Sea Cadets.
(b) The Captain's Corps.
(c) The Sea-Fencibles.
(d) The Dragon Corps.
9. From whom does Maturin receive a summons?
(a) Naval intelligence.
(b) The queen.
(c) The Admiralty.
(d) His father.
10. What does Maturin think has affected the rats?
(a) The type of food they carry.
(b) The storm.
(c) Nothing he can see.
(d) The prisoners.
11. Why does Aubrey make Grant first officer?
(a) Pullings is staying ashore.
(b) Pullings is being made bosom.
(c) Pullings has died.
(d) He has promoted Pullings.
12. How does the crew feel about Wogan?
(a) Dislikes her for being a traitor.
(b) Wants to hang her for being a spy.
(c) Desires her as a woman.
(d) Wants to set her free in South America.
13. Who are Killick and Bonden?
(a) Aubrey's two best friends.
(b) Two of Aubrey's former shipmates.
(c) A couple privateers.
(d) Two lawyers suing Aubrey.
14. What is Maturin asked to do?
(a) Go to Cape Town on the way to America.
(b) Resign his commission.
(c) Step down from commanding Leopard.
(d) Escort a prisoner to Botany Bay.
15. What does Maturin find at Villiers' apartments?
(a) The place was empty.
(b) Her cat needing food.
(c) The place had been ransacked.
(d) A stack of bills to pay.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sophie?
2. Why does Maturin say yes to the request by naval intelligence?
3. What kind of storm does Aubrey run into at the start of his voyage?
4. What does Maturin do after Wogan expresses an interest in Herapath?
5. Who is Diana Villiers?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)