|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maturin notice about the rats on board the ship?
(a) They are very fat.
(b) They are very skinny.
(c) There are more than usual.
(d) They are acting peculiar.
2. Who begins to assist Maturin in sick bay?
3. Where does the Leopard go to make repairs?
(b) Rock Island.
(c) Desolation Island.
(d) Treasure Island.
4. Who is Stephen Maturin?
(a) A renowned surgeon and natural scientist.
(b) The Duke of Glasson.
(c) A con artist who sells Aubrey a lame horse.
(d) Sohpie's husband.
5. What is one purpose of Aubrey's trip?
(a) To map the seas around the Horn.
(b) To incite a revolt.
(c) To meet with the native chiefs.
(d) To transport criminals to the penal colony.
6. Why is Aubrey angry?
(a) An admiral is coming with him.
(b) He has to wait another month to leave.
(c) He's being asked to transport prisoners.
(d) His pay has been cut.
7. What do Wogan and Herapath attempt to do about their feelings?
(a) Hide them.
(b) Act upon them by getting married.
(c) Restrain them.
(d) Show them.
8. What is Aubrey doing as the novel opens?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Living a life of dissipation.
(c) Hiring crew.
(d) Coming up before the review board.
9. Who did the prisoners murder during the storm?
(a) The first mate.
(b) Louisa Wogan.
(c) The warden and his assistant.
(d) Two of the guards.
10. Who has criticized Aubrey's handling of the ship?
(a) Lt. Socour.
(b) Lt. Grant.
11. Who are Killick and Bonden?
(a) Aubrey's two best friends.
(b) A couple privateers.
(c) Two of Aubrey's former shipmates.
(d) Two lawyers suing Aubrey.
12. Who is Michael Herapath?
(a) Villiers' brother.
(b) Louisa Wogan's admirer.
(c) Maturin's silent partner.
(d) Louisa Wogan's father.
13. What does Aubrey do about the peeping hole?
(b) Puts a stop to it.
(c) Uses it himself.
(d) Tells Maturin he can use it for spying activities.
14. Why is the officer causing problems?
(a) He is new and insecure.
(b) He thinks he posted below his abilities.
(c) He is a friend of Wogan's.
(d) He hates Aubrey.
15. As what does Maturin diagnose the prisoners' illness?
(b) Yellow fever.
(d) Bubonic plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pursues the Leopard?
2. What happens with the prisoners as the ship sits still?
3. How does Maturin feel about his manipulations of Wogan and Herapath?
4. Who has bored a peeping hole in Wogan's quarters' wall?
5. Why does Aubrey make Grant first officer?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)