|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack say when Angie confesses to him what she is so shocked about in Mexico?
2. Why does Jack decide to finally marry Ruth?
3. Where does Jack and Angie's journey together end?
4. Why does Simon's brother run away from Jack?
5. What is Jack's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Jack when he meets a group of English Beat teenagers in London?
2. What does Hubbard express a need to purge himself of, and why?
3. Where is Jack living at the end of the book, and how does he feel about it?
4. What happens on Jack's first night in Mexico City at the end of the book?
5. What happens to Jack's rucksack during his trip to see his mother?
6. How does Irwin describe Hubbard?
7. Why does Jack think childbirth is a disservice?
8. What causes Jack's disgust for the civilized world to increase while he is on the ship heading to Africa?
9. How does Angie describe what love should be like to her son?
10. What is Jack and Angie's new apartment like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pride and vanity are two basic and obvious themes in this book. What is the difference between the two, and where in the book do these themes appear?
Essay Topic 2
Religion is a theme ouched on a number of times in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did it affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jack change through the course of the book? What causes these changes?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)