|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is most shocking to Angie about Mexicans?
2. How much does Jack have to pay to take his mother on a quick trip to Mexico?
3. Who wants to go with Jack on his journey after the farewell party?
4. What does Angie tell Jack she fears while they drive away from El Paso?
5. How does Jack feel when he meets with his friends in New York at the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Raphael do on his return to New York that earns him great respect?
2. Why does Jack say the thugs on the street leave him alone when he first enters San Francisco with his mother?
3. Who is Jack forced to sit with in the dining room on his journey back to New York and why?
4. How does Jack feel about the Beat society by the time he is ready to leave Tangiers?
5. How does Hubbard survive in Tangiers with no real work?
6. How does Irwin describe Hubbard?
7. What is the highlight of the Duluozes short trip through Mexico?
8. What does Hubbard express a need to purge himself of, and why?
9. How does Angie describe California after living there for a few weeks?
10. What is Jack's response when Alyce asks to be allowed to go with him to Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two Ruths are very similar in nature, although very different in many other areas. What are some of these intrinsic differences and similarities, and what message(s) was Kerouac was trying to send with these two characters who have the same name?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Nature and its power is a huge theme in this book. What are some of the main examples of this theme, and which character is most affected by it?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)