|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to go with Jack on his journey after the farewell party?
2. What does Jack do while his mother sleeps at the end of their long journey?
3. What does Angie convince her son to give up before he moves to Florida with her?
4. Where does Jack decide to go in the spring of 1957?
5. What is the name of Jack's friend in Africa's big book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jack's rucksack during his trip to see his mother?
2. What happens when Jack first meets Alyce?
3. What annoys the girls in Paris about Jack and Raphael?
4. How does Angie describe what love should be like to her son?
5. What happens to Cody shortly after Jack leaves for Florida?
6. What is one of Jack's main reasons for wanting to move back to California?
7. What does Angie convince her son to give up in his life before heading back to Florida?
8. What is the highlight of the Duluozes short trip through Mexico?
9. What is Angie's first impression of Mexico when Jack takes her over the border?
10. What causes Jack's disgust for the civilized world to increase while he is on the ship heading to Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Jack showed devotion to a number of different people and organizations. Who were these people and organizations, and how did Jack's devotion to them alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Religion is a theme ouched on a number of times in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did it affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)