|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Jack when he first sees his friend in Africa?
2. Where is Jack planning to go after his farewell party?
3. When does Jack regain his excitement for the trip to Tangiers?
4. What famous poet does Raphael meet with while Jack is visiting him?
5. Where does Jack and Angie's journey together end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hubbard express a need to purge himself of, and why?
2. What happens when Jack first meets Alyce?
3. What happens on Jack's first night in Mexico City at the end of the book?
4. How does Hubbard survive in Tangiers with no real work?
5. What causes Jack's disgust for the civilized world to increase while he is on the ship heading to Africa?
6. How does Jack feel about the Beat society by the time he is ready to leave Tangiers?
7. Where is Jack living at the end of the book, and how does he feel about it?
8. What is one of Jack's main reasons for wanting to move back to California?
9. Why does Jack say the thugs on the street leave him alone when he first enters San Francisco with his mother?
10. What does Angie do when she finds out that Ben is a Buddhist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does Jack learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in numerus different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Jack Kerouac have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)