|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is most shocking to Angie about Mexicans?
2. What wakes Jack up on his first night in Mexico?
3. Where does Jack decide to go to write a new novel after returning to Florida?
4. Why is Cody sent to jail?
5. Who does Jack meet one day by surprise in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Irwin describe Hubbard?
2. What happens to Cody shortly after Jack leaves for Florida?
3. What is the highlight of the Duluozes short trip through Mexico?
4. How does Jack describe his mother as he gets ready for his trip to California with her?
5. How does Hubbard survive in Tangiers with no real work?
6. Who is Jack forced to sit with in the dining room on his journey back to New York and why?
7. What is Jack's response when Alyce asks to be allowed to go with him to Africa?
8. How does Angie describe what love should be like to her son?
9. What does Raphael do on his return to New York that earns him great respect?
10. Where is Jack living at the end of the book, and how does he feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion is a theme ouched on a number of times in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did it affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Jealousy is an emotion that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. Which characters evoked this emotion, and how did they respond to their jealous tendencies? How did these instances affect the overall plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Solitude is something that Jack often sought throughout the book. Where did he find it? How did this solitude affect his character and his relationships with the other characters in the book?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)