|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jack's job at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Jack do when he first wakes up from the dream he has in the forest?
3. Why is Jack so void of emotion as he leaves his summer home?
4. How much does Pat's sack weigh?
5. What does Jack call his friend Irwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack need a ride to Mill Valley?
2. How does the waitress at the luncheonette treat Jack?
3. What does Jack observe in the streets while heading to his favorite jazz club?
4. What is it that Jack desires, and yet fears above all?
5. What happens to the group when Raphael begins playing the piano at Ehrman's house?
6. Why is Jarry fired from the fire station?
7. What illusion does Jack have about the moon one night about a month before he leaves Washington?
8. What is Gaines's philosophy about artists and junkies?
9. What does Jack say he could do if he were made Sultan?
10. How does Jack feel about his reflection while he is in the woods in Washington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jack change through the course of the book? What causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Jack endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does Jack learn through these experiences?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)