|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he wakes up one morning at the cabin, what does Jack think may not be a wise thing for him to do?
2. How much does Pat's sack weigh?
3. What is Fred's main duty?
4. What does Jack do whenever something sad happens to him?
5. What does Jack like to invent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack say he could do if he were made Sultan?
2. Why is Jack not affected by the news stories going on around him when he is in Washington?
3. What does Jack think about the men looking at a pornographic magazine?
4. What illusion does Jack have about the moon one night about a month before he leaves Washington?
5. How does the waitress at the luncheonette treat Jack?
6. Why is Jarry fired from the fire station?
7. What is the purest truth that Jack has learned from Buddha?
8. What is it that Jack desires, and yet fears above all?
9. What does Jack take pity on the hipsters in Mexico for?
10. What is Jack's schedule like at college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alyce is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Alyce had not been in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Jack and his friends were setting out to revolutionize the world. Please cite examples from the text as you explain what this revolution was and the changes they planned to make in the world.
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by multiple characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)