|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the poets does one of the Ruths fall for when they reach New York?
2. What is the name of the woman Jack might have married at one point?
3. What does Jack plan to take to San Francisco with him according to his poem about going there?
4. What does Jack do that makes him feel he can longer reside in Heaven?
5. Where does Jack ask to be dropped off in Seattle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jack not affected by the news stories going on around him when he is in Washington?
2. Why is Jarry fired from the fire station?
3. What is it that Jack desires, and yet fears above all?
4. What does Simon save his brother from?
5. Why is Jack so void of emotion as he leaves the cabin where he lived in all summer?
6. What is so ironic to Jack as he descends the mountain where he has resided all season?
7. What is so important to Jack about the date of August 22nd?
8. How does Jack describe the trumpet player in the Cellar?
9. What is Gaines's philosophy about artists and junkies?
10. What does Jack think about the men looking at a pornographic magazine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Alyce is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Alyce had not been in the book?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)