|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Irwin convince Jack to go while in Mexico?
(a) The movie theater.
(b) A parade.
(c) A poetry reading.
(d) The college.
2. What do Evelyn and Jack talk about while the others watch TV?
3. Why does Gaines have cabs drop him off a block from his house?
(a) He wants to see a movie before going home.
(b) That is where his cab money ran out.
(c) He got confused about which house was his.
(d) He does not want people to know where he lives.
4. What is Levesque's occupation?
5. What does Jack feed the animals that come to his cabin in Washington?
(a) Bread and water.
(b) Boiled potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack think he is doomed to as far as love is concerned?
2. Why is Jack so void of emotion as he leaves his summer home?
3. What is Jack's job at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Jack do while he sits alone on Gaines's roof?
5. On what holiday does Jack arrive in Texas after his stay in Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack do every night at 8:00 while he is working in Washington?
2. What is the purest truth that Jack has learned from Buddha?
3. What does Jack take pity on the hipsters in Mexico for?
4. Why does Mount Hozomeen become Jack's metaphor for The Void?
5. Why is Jack not affected by the news stories going on around him when he is in Washington?
6. Why is Jack so void of emotion as he leaves the cabin where he lived in all summer?
7. How does Jack feel about Irwin's proposed visit to Jack in Mexico?
8. What does Jack observe in the streets while heading to his favorite jazz club?
9. What is Gaines's philosophy about artists and junkies?
10. Why do the people in line at the bank get mad at Jack?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)