|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack do while he sits alone on Gaines's roof?
2. What is the first thing Jack does when he climbs aboard the ferry?
(a) Bathes his feet.
(b) Embraces Fred.
(c) Falls asleep.
(d) Kicks his shoes into the water.
3. Where does Jack learn to roll his own cigarettes?
(b) The Army.
(c) His grandfather's house.
(d) High school.
4. What is Jack's job at the beginning of the book?
(b) Fire lookout.
(c) Forest ranger.
5. Where does the strange car ride end for the poets?
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) New Jersey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack do when he first wakes up from the dream he has in the forest?
2. What does Jack see illusions of while he is out in the storm all night?
3. What movement is Rose involved in?
4. Where does Jack sleep during a break in the trip to Mexico?
5. What does Jack plan to bring to Simon's house when he finally leaves Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the people in line at the bank get mad at Jack?
2. What does Jack say he could do if he were made Sultan?
3. Why do some people have a hard time understanding Jack when he speaks?
4. What happens to the group when Raphael begins playing the piano at Ehrman's house?
5. How does Jack feel about his reflection while he is in the woods in Washington?
6. Why does Raphael brood the entire time he is at Cody's house?
7. Why does Mount Hozomeen become Jack's metaphor for The Void?
8. Why is Jack so void of emotion as he leaves the cabin where he lived in all summer?
9. How does Jack describe the trumpet player in the Cellar?
10. What illusion does Jack have about the moon one night about a month before he leaves Washington?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)