|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack enjoy most about his stay in Tangiers?
(a) The cheap opium.
(b) The anonymity.
(c) The companionship.
(d) The creative bursts.
2. What does John Banks call himself?
(a) A French revolutionist.
(b) An American poet.
(c) An English gangster.
(d) A Somalian pirate.
3. Who takes the Beats to see Williams?
(a) Simon's brother.
(b) The Ruths.
(c) Jack's mother.
(d) Irwin's father.
4. Where is Jack planning to go after his farewell party?
5. What does Raphael do with his painting of the David?
(a) Sells it on the street.
(b) Gives it to Jack.
(c) Puts it in his room.
(d) Hangs it over the fireplace.
6. Why is Jack looked down on when he enters the dining room of the ship he boards?
(a) He is a writer.
(b) He has ragged clothing.
(c) He has no money for service tips.
(d) He smells of marijuana.
7. Where does Jack decide to go to write a new novel after returning to Florida?
(a) San Francisco.
8. Where does Jack spend his days in Paris?
(a) Cafe Bonaparte.
(b) The catacombs.
(c) Notre Dame.
(d) The alleyways of Paris.
9. How does Angie describe the Golden Gate Bridge?
10. What is the name of the ship that Jack travels on after leaving New York?
11. What does Jack notice about all the women he sees in Paris?
(a) They are always in a hurry.
(b) They seem wiser than women in America.
(c) They are always ready for an adventure.
(d) They seem to be cold and flat in the eyes.
12. Who does Jack meet one day by surprise in Paris?
13. What is Jack so shocked about when his journey with his mother finally ends?
(a) His mother does not like it.
(b) His friends are there to greet him.
(c) He does not recognize it.
(d) His town is ugly.
14. What surprises Jack when he first sees his friend in Africa?
(a) He is suffering from a drug addiction.
(b) He looks healthy and clean.
(c) He has a family.
(d) He seems to be wealthy.
15. When does Jack regain his excitement for the trip to Tangiers?
(a) When he can see land.
(b) When his opium fog clears.
(c) When he reads some of his past work.
(d) When he speaks with some other travelers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack credit for Cody's incarceration?
2. Where does Angie sleep on her first night in Berkeley?
3. Who does Jack's mother live with?
4. What does Ruth contract from Jack?
5. Who of the following does Jack NOT meet with when he goes to New York after his harrowing experience in Mexico?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)